PDA

View Full Version : The right oil

offcrjim
11-07-2005, 06:45 AM
I am getting ready to perform the first oil change on my 03 Cobra. What do you guyz recomend with regards to oil and filter brands and viscocity.

Thx Offcrjim

Dave B.
11-07-2005, 10:28 PM
first oil change on an 03???? how many miles on it?? did you just buy it from someone else?? I run only Royal Purple twenty weight, do not use any other weight than twenty, thats to keep it from pooling in the valve covers,

thats what iv been told anyway,

scrmngdave
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Ford recommends 5w-20 only. brand and synthetic vs non-synthetic is up to your taste. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-20. Main reason for such thin oil is so the heads are not starved for oil during cold start and high rpm. the cams and valve train on these modular engines require alot of oil up top. Hope this helps.

InfamousSVT
11-08-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm with Dave B. on this one. I have used Royal Purple 5w-20 since the first oil change and nothing else. Yes it is expensive, but it is worth it too.

beerkat
11-08-2005, 08:23 AM
I use Syntex 5w20 in my Cobra and Lightning the Lightning has 60,000 miles on it and still does not use oil.

TERMN8OR
11-08-2005, 02:32 PM
AMSOIL 0w-30 with motorcraft oil filter.Car loves it.

Firme
11-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Just to clarify, the 20w vs 30w dilema has been around for a long time, I had been researching it since 2001.

My conclusion is that 20w is for emissions, not the benefits of the car.

I actually think its more harmful to run 20w vs 30w due to less protective characteristics. All the testing I have seen show 20w wears the engine much quicker than 30w.

20w is now being used by manufacturer because of the following:
-the car heats up faster, thus, less nox gasses (which are high during cold running period), thus better EPA ratings
-slightly better gas mileage, for vehicle mileage rating

Nothing has changed in the design of the 4v heads that would constitute ford changing from 30w to 20w from 99 to 2001 or even 96 and up. As a matter of fact, if you look into it, even the ford trucks recommend 5-20w, they don't run 4v heads.

Here is the EPA document, right off a government website which explain what I mean.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/ccd0006.pdf
- Back in 2001, the first time I read this document, there was a paragraph that read "Although 20w oil promotes quicker engine wear, the enivornments benefits are much greater". But that line (paraphrased) has been since pulled from the document.

Keep in mind, Ford's threats to void warranty, if 5w-20 is not used, is explained there. The answer to "why" is not anything to do with the well being of your engine or "performance" or clearance or quicker oiling. The answer is right there in black and white. The productions vehicles need to comply with their EPA tests counterparts, which means they will do what they can to force you to run 5w-20 on the road, just like they did for their epa testing.

But.. everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. These are just mine

BTW, I run amsoil 0-30w S2000. FULL SYNTHETIC

scrmngdave
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
If you talk to ten different people you will get ten different answers on what to use. The main thing to remember is simply change the oil at the correct intervals. I agree that the debate over 20w vs 30w has been around for a long time, however I don't believe one is any better or any worse than the other. Plenty of people run both wieghts with no problems as long as the oil is changed on a regular basis. I have not personally seen any evidence of 20w causing more engine wear versus 30w. I also don't know of any dealer refusing warranty because of wrong wieght. I have seen warranty denied when people bring their vehicle in at 30k with engine failure and the factory installed oil filter was still on the engine. When I said these engines require more oil up top, I was refferring to ohc modular engines versus pushrod engines, dohc and sohc both require a greater qauntity of oil on top of the cylinder head versus pushrod engines. Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil, Castrol Syntec, Redline all are outstanding oils and you can't go wrong by choosing any of them. Pick whatever you are familiar with and comfortable with, and change it at regular intervals as recommended by the manufacturer. Good Luck and Happy Oil
Shopping!:thumbsup:

Nicko
11-17-2005, 12:17 PM
AMSOIL 0w-30 with motorcraft oil filter.Car loves it. + 1 On the Amsoil, In A test Royay Purple Was The Worst, I would rather run Mobil 1

InfamousSVT
11-30-2005, 12:42 AM
Got a question, where do you guys purchase the Amsoil at?
There's a guy in my neighborhood that is a vendor for it and I was just wondering if I could just go to any Autoparts store and pick up a case of it?

TERMN8OR
11-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I purchase my amsoil on line from amsoil.Also became a perferred customer so I can buy the oil at the same price dealers pay.

Firme
11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I purchase my amsoil on line from amsoil.Also became a perferred customer so I can buy the oil at the same price dealers pay.
+1

InfamousSVT
11-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Ok thanks for the heads up guys! :thumbsup:

wvmystichrome
11-30-2005, 10:56 PM
+2

I've been running in my Supercharged 90GT for about 12 of the last 15 years. Its got a total of about 32,500 miles on it now. I change the oil once a year or evey 3,000 miles which ever comes first....(Once a year). I already have the Amsoil oil to put into my 04 Cobra when it is time. It just reach 1,087 miles on the odometer so I will change the oil sometime this winter when the weather is bad and nothing else is going on. It is cheaper to pay the preferred customer membership than it is to order/buy the oil from another dealer. Also get their filter it costs about twice as much as a Motorcraft but it filters the oil a lot better and keeps it alot cleaner for a lot longer.