PDA

View Full Version : Ford drops Cobra from 2007 name

RF Cobra
11-07-2005, 09:52 AM
While Ford says the cobra emblems will remain, Cobra has been dropped from the name, leaving it the Mustang Shelby GT500.

http://thegt500source.com/2005/articles/shelbyincobraout05nov.html

I didn't care much for the concluding remarks which stated the Cobra name could be used on other models in addition to the SVT Mustang in the future. I hope they don't follow GM's lead of slapping SS badges on anything just to try to boost sales. I hope the new 2006 models help get Ford back on track financially so that something like this does not become a reality:

"Here's the new E-150 Cobra 15 passenger van, Crown Victoria Cobra LX, Focus Cobra wagon, and the new 60 mpg Festiva II Cobra hybrid .75L 3 cylinder (not legal for use on roads with speed limits of 55 mph or greater). Each vehicle comes with the exclusive cobra performance package: plastic cobra wheel covers, cobra fender and rear decklid/door stickers, and automatic transmission cobra shift knob." :doubt: :rolleyes:

sssvtcobra
11-08-2005, 01:32 AM
That's really dissapointing!! :( That just makes me love my '04 COBRA even more!! That even makes me upset with Ford and the SVT team.

I strongly feel that the only reason the Shelby name is on the rear decklid is for a marketing scheme. I guess I can quit saving my money for an '07 model. I was going to take off the Shelby name on the rear deck lid if I bought one but now with it not even being named a COBRA I'm not buying one!

Just my opinion

A Wild One
11-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Yup, I think you are right. If you connect all the dots - leadership changes, new car content, Lightning cancellation right after Powerlease offer, IRS 'snobs' remark - I think you will see a change in direction for SVT. IMHO the drift is toward 'exclusivity' at the expense of performance. I think the recent TBird reincarnation may be the first indication of this. I've owned three SVTs new. Really wondering whether that will ever increase to four. I don't think I'm the Lone Ranger. I'm also not sure SVT cares.

cobrabitn
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
You are way off the mark here.... the people of the SVT division of Ford do care but they have no say so in the upcoming products because they are being overruled by their superiors.

The problem is that the people who are calling the shots are not "car guys", they are businessmen who only care about the bottom line and their job security, which I can't blame them there but they could have made some compromises that would not have affected the price of the vehicle too much.

It's called "mainstreaming" the new Mustang so everything is done on one production line and all parts are the same with a few exceptions. The "Advanced Product Creation" division of Ford is the reason for the late output of the Cobra and the deletion of the name along with the exclusivity of the brand. By the end of the year, I say SVT will cease to exist, and all they will have is an info center if that.

If APC thought about it, they would have produced an IRS equipped SVT Cobra that ran around 40K and have the "Shelby" option that ran around 45K so all of those people that wanted a new Shelby can have one for 5K more and the rest of us that just want an SVT Cobra (sleeper with no stripes) can pay less and have the same performance.

Miguel
11-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Is it me or someone has completly lost their marbles at FoMoCo?? After steady and consistent imporvments to the mustang, and in general (Cobras, New 'stang, Focus SVT, Lightning, and GT), they are now destroying a lot of what had gotten them a lot of respect. Maybe I just don't understand the buisiness world. I was wanting to test drive a Focus SVT, but then the geniuses kept it outside USA. :mad:

Sonic Blue
11-11-2005, 02:21 PM
I don't mind them just calling it a Shellby GT500 because that is what it is! but using cobra with other models is really unacceptable. I guess they will skip the adrenilin sport trak and jump right to the COBRA ESCAPE!!!!

Hey Miguel

where in Katy are you from??? I'm moving there in May 06!

Miguel
11-11-2005, 03:07 PM
I don't mind them just calling it a Shellby GT500 because that is what it is! but using cobra with other models is really unacceptable. I guess they will skip the adrenilin sport trak and jump right to the COBRA ESCAPE!!!!

Hey Miguel

where in Katy are you from??? I'm moving there in May 06!
Agreed on both counts.
I'm in one of the sea of suburbs east of old Katy. I have seen many Hot-rodded looking snakes out here, so you should find plenty of company. Check out the TX part of the forum, there is a cool new track out here, and the snakes are hosting the first open DE at that track!!

Sonic Blue
11-11-2005, 03:16 PM
My Brother lives in Katy and been to visit and really like it. Moving to Cinco Ranches area. I have been visiting alot of Tx forums and it seems there are plenty of car nuts and lots of events!

Miguel
11-11-2005, 03:50 PM
For 2006 events just looky here:

2006 Open Track Schedules.

NASA 2006 Schedule

Feb 4/5- MSR Houston
March 4/5 - MSR Cresson
April 22/23 - MSR Cresson
May 20/21 - MSR Houston
June 17/18 - Hallett OK
August 5/6 - TWS College Station
September 11/17 - NASA Nationals Mid-Ohio
October 21-22 - MSR Houston

TDE 2006 Schedule

Motorsport Ranch FtWorth November 19 & 20 1.7 Clockwise
Motorsport Ranch Houston January 21 & 22
Motorsport Ranch FtWorth February 4 & 5
Texas World Speedway March 4 & 5
Motorsport Ranch FtWorth April 1 & 2
Motorsport Ranch Houston April 29 & 30
Texas World Speedway June 3 & 4
Motorsport Ranch Houston July 15 & 16
Motorsport Ranch FtWorth September 9 & 10
Texas World Speedway October 21 & 22
Motorsport Ranch FtWorth November 11 & 12
Motorsport Ranch Houston December 9& 12
MSR Houston is the brand new track.

ausie
11-13-2005, 11:05 AM
My guess is that the Cobra name will be reserved for the Ford Cobra roadster that was designed around the same time they were developing the Ford GT. There will be two models of the Cobra, roadster and a coupe. Both of which will use the Shelby Cobra name since it is a modern rebirth of the Shelby Cobra from the mid 60's but will have a V10 instead of a 427. I doubt that they would use the Cobra name on anything but that. I guess Ford did not want to get thier sales people confused between the two vehicles (GT500 and the V10 Cobra) since there will be a considerable cost difference $45k compared to $120k.

Oh well, I guess the Terminator was the last to use the Cobra Mustang name. Perhaps it was terminated for a purpose. At least I own a part of history. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately, I don't agree with you about the Shelby. The car is/was the next SVT Cobra and should have stayed that way but since Shelby came back on the scene, it's like everything got dropped due to name recognition. I stick with my original statement, make the SVT Cobra and pay a premium if you want a Shelby. Now you have made the SVT crowd happy and the Shelby crowd happy! :thumbsup:

nckissfan
11-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I like that idea, Tony. The SVT Mustang Cobra, and the Shelby GT500. Both make sense to us.

ausie
11-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Unfortunately, I don't agree with you about the Shelby. The car is/was the next SVT Cobra and should have stayed that way but since Shelby came back on the scene, it's like everything got dropped due to name recognition. I stick with my original statement, make the SVT Cobra and pay a premium if you want a Shelby. Now you have made the SVT crowd happy and the Shelby crowd happy! :thumbsup:
It was just a guess. Ford will probably do what it wants too. I doubt I would have bought my first SVT Cobra if the SVT badge had no meaning behind it. To me it was a designation to define hand crafted motor and the IRS. Why do I have the strange feeling that SVT will not be building the Shelby GT500? Will it be built by Shelby Corporation? If that is the case why not also have a New SVT Cobra Mustang too. I think the retro idea has gotten into their heads too far. I can agree why not have both. There already are Roush and Saleen mustangs and so what if there is a Shelby along with them. Perhaps SVT had gone racing and will not return soon.

Mirage
11-14-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm proud to say that I own a 2003 Cobra (which for other owners of that year, it is the 10th anniversary of it's existence ;) ) and have no plans of purchasing a 2007 Shelby. I absolutely love the understated nature of what my Cobra brings to the table. Whether it's the IRS, the mod-friendly engine, interior accents or the discreet Cobra badging, everything about the car is perfect. I think Ford did an excellent job seeing what Saleen, Roush and Steeda were doing with their mustangs and incorporated the best attributes of the aforementined tuners in this Cobra.

It remains to be seen how well the Shelby will do in the marketplace (although a safe bet would be very well), however, I think if Ford moves away from what John Coletti built and the passion he possessed, then the Cobra we have known and grown to love over the years will be lost forever.

RF Cobra
11-14-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't mind a Shelby version but I think I lean towards Tony's view of having both a Cobra and a Shelby. The name as it was originally was way too long and from that standpoint removing the Cobra part of the name was the only real option.

I think of bigger concern is SVT's future in general due to Ford's financial situation. Supposedly, SVT plans to build the SVT Adrenalin, however the Sport-Trac has already been canned making the chance of this becoming a reality closer to slim to none. Thang has already commented about a SVT Fusion, but he added that will not happen until the popularity of the Fusion subsides. Not exactly the best strategy for getting successful results. This is similar to the strategy Ford used for the last gen of the Cougar. Plans were to add all wheel drive and high performance engine options to the model line once demand started to cool. However, since it did not bring enough to the table to start with it never won over the import crowd Ford was targeting and sales were so bad it got canned before there was any chance of improving the car.

If Ford provides SVT certificates for the Shelby GT 500 then I will consider it a part of the SVT "family." If they don't, SVT's future may be in trouble. Hopefully they will bring back the SVT Cobra before it is too late to save SVT.

Bartman01
11-28-2005, 06:31 PM
[-color=white]...[/color]

Any particular reason you are forcing your text to white? The default color scheme already uses white text, and the other two options make white text practically unreadable.

cobrabitn
01-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Interesting read...

I'm so excited to see this car be made but am disappointed that Ford had to
stoop to eliminating the SVT division all because of politics! (No Coletti or Scarpello, no SVT Cobra as promised, no Lightning, or Focus. no SVT dealership network)

Where is the SVT Cobra we were promised?

Anyway, enjoy the article:

http://www.stangnet.com/2005-Mustang/2007-shelby-gt500-182006.html

Thanks,

sambo300
01-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah and it's like we Cobra enthusiasts wait for what....about a minimum of a year and and half....with baited breath...scouring the internet daily....and then sorry not gonna be next generation genuine article COBRA. Kind of a let down. Got to wonder about the marketing type mindset.

RF Cobra
01-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I hope they 475hp rating is low (which it probably is). If not, then engine wise it's not much of an improvement over the 03-04s especially with it having a bigger engine.

It will be a great car and I like the way it looks, but I'm happy with mine and don't need Shelby's name on my car to make me want it.

ausie
01-09-2006, 06:39 AM
I hope they 475hp rating is low (which it probably is). If not, then engine wise it's not much of an improvement over the 03-04s especially with it having a bigger engine.

It will be a great car and I like the way it looks, but I'm happy with mine and don't need Shelby's name on my car to make me want it.
I would agree, that number seems low for the displacement and a supercharger. Considering most realistic HP on a stock 03/04 Cobra is much closer to 425 than the SAE 390hp. It seems that every article that I have read about it appears to change a few things. Hopefully they keep up to their promis to deliver for those who are interested in it. :thumbsup:

There already is American competition beginning to surface (excluding the Viper and Corvette). At least the Chrysler corporation is playing along with the Charger SRT which is more or less a toy to play with the Potiac GTO. I am waiting for the Dodge Challenger to surface in 09 since that one looks like a winner. I think the New Camaro was to come back in 07 but I guess the plug was pulled on that one, but at least the concept drawings were an improvement. GM has a bit of a rocky future since it has suffered the most in the past few years. At least I will remember this war as I was too young to be inflenced by the big three when the first muscle car war was underway. Call it MWII :D . I am not all that intimidated pulling up next to a GTO or a Charger. I might be if it was the new Shelby GT500. Looks like a Kenn Bell or whipple may be needed to make up the difference.

Rockets04Cobra
01-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Eh, I'd wait before saying that motor isn't much more than the 03-04 in power. Wait till Kenne Bell gets some kits made for the motor, that will show what they can take. Supposedly on the new (2006) 4.6L, with 8psi and a KBell, they are able to get 535hp to the tire (can't go any higher boost due to compression of 4.6 GT motor). Mine at 18psi did 597hp to the tire. Just off what I can see possible, 700rwhp is not out of the question at 18psi on the 5.4 motor. I have a dynoshop here in Tulsa. As soon as the GT500 are for sale, and I get a stock one on the dyno, I'll throw a comparison up for stock 03-04 compared to the new GT500. But until they are released, it's anyone guess how much they are under-rated.

The 03-04 model was under-rated by 40hp.
I have dyno'ed over 10 stock 03-04 Cobra's. 90% of those put down an average of 373hp to the tire. So, with a 15% driveline loss that equals 430hp at the crank. And, they were advertised at 390hp.
So, I expect the new ones should really be around 515hp at the crank. We'll all have to wait till the first few roll across someone's dyno :D

RF Cobra
01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
A lot of things are possible when you start making changes. We were only referring to stock numbers and basing the comparison on Ford and Shelby's claims. For me personally, the relatively small difference in stock hp is not worth the extra fuel consumption since I currently drive mine every day. The 19-20 highway numbers for the Shelby just wont cut it for me. For that I would want at least 525 hp.

Now, if someone were to give me one I'd definitely take it and use it for pleasure driving/track events only and wouldn't care about gas mileage. :cool:

According to SVT, 19% is the loss factor percentage to use when converting to estimate output at the crank on the 03-04s.

Rockets04Cobra
01-14-2006, 01:10 PM
We were only referring to stock numbers and basing the comparison on Ford and Shelby's claims. For me personally, the relatively small difference in stock hp is not worth the extra fuel consumption since I currently drive mine every day. The 19-20 highway numbers for the Shelby just wont cut it for me. For that I would want at least 525 hp.

According to SVT, 19% is the loss factor percentage to use when converting to estimate output at the crank on the 03-04s.
-I know, I was just going above and beyond for anyone curious.
It almost is an entirely different car, unlike previous generation Mustang's. When they come out (GT500), I'd definitely be curious for a ride. The 4.6L (05-06) motors are much smoother, and there is much more room in the engine bay, injectors are easy to get to, etc. And the interior is so drastically different. Some things I like better about the interior, and some things I like much better in my car.
If I took an educated guess they should be 85hp more at the crank. And solid live axle so no wheelhop (at least reviewers say no wheelhop experience on the GT500). And, no more snapped halfshafts at the dragstrip when putting over 450hp to the tire. I can see easily 130hp more fully boosted with a Kenne Bell possible with tuning, BAP, etc. on the new 5.4L.
-Thanks for the driveline loss, we just use average of 15% on manual transmissions, so that's good to know! :thumbsup:

RF Cobra
01-14-2006, 11:36 PM
There's no doubt in my mind, it will be an awesome ride! :)

Stavesacre21
02-24-2006, 03:38 AM
I doubt I would have bought my first SVT Cobra if the SVT badge had no meaning behind it. To me it was a designation to define hand crafted motor.I couldn't agree more. The craftsmanship and the thought that engines were built by hand, with pride...makes them more then just a few letters, or slapping a snake on the side. I was acutally considering one of the new GT500s, but given the new change of events, and being caught in the middle of a political big-wigs game of tag, I'm almost content right where I am...back in the 90s with a name that was etched in stone. If anything, someday I plan on maybe possiably moving up to an 03/04 if I get the itch, but as for Shelby's GT500...well, they can keep their name. I'm still 100% SVT :D :thumbsup: