PDA

View Full Version : throwout,clutch plate,flywheel,disc,pilot bearing,trans snout,, gone, all gone

Dave B.
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
And I thought I was not making the HP I wanted to,
I dont even race and at 30,000 miles $2600 worht of stuff GONE, wrecked,worn out, DESTROYED!!

So when I thought it was just the THrowout that went bad, it took all that stuff along with it, Geez man, it going to do that in the next 30,000 miles??

blk04cobra1
11-07-2005, 08:42 PM
wow...sorry to hear about that...are they going to cover any of it under warranty? I'd heard the TOB is covered, im sure the clutch isnt (normal wear and tear item)...damn man, have you thought about replacements?

Dave B.
11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
There going to warrantee the Throwout,the Clutch plate,and theres a bulletin on that snout peice on the transmission so there covering that too,

but check this out, I have to pay

$160 for a clutch disc (destroyed)

$450 for a flywheel, (destroyed)

and a pilot bearing, have no idea how much that is, but then I have to pay extra for the labor to get the started off with the BBK headers on the car,

they said that was a horrible nightmare, plus I need a 4 wheel alignment, $69,
all and all my portion is $1050 so I got some stuff covered, I mean they could have really stuck it to me with all that stuff on the car, but is this something im going to have when i get more miles on it? Ill say it again,
"I DO NOT DRAG RACE, OR ABUSE IT"

if so, I wish the car had an automatic transmission, i think it would hold up better and would not have all those issues with it, does everyone with a Pulley and headers have this kind of damage/problems?

scrmngdave
11-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Dave, sorry you had so much trouble. I work for a dealer, and am glad your dealer is working with you on the repairs. I have heard of some guys in 600hp+ cars having clutch issues, but other than that, nothing unusual. remember also though, sometimes we do get bad parts. I hope you get everything settled ok. I think I would upgrade the clutch while they are in there, and hopefully you won't have anymore issues.

Dave B.
11-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Let me ask you guys this,
I only recently had headers put on, for most of the cars life its had a pulley, accufab single blade, cold air kit, before the headers with these other parts the car had so much incredable bottom end torque with all that back pressure, it made all its power by about 4000 after that there was nothing, but the jerkiness of the torque was was rabbid,,,,,do you all think it plausble thats what destroyed my drive shaft, and these other parts??

I have only had headers for about the last 5000 miles, and these 30,000 on it now, with the headers the torque is not in one spot anymore its far more linier, , ,no one else I know of had a drive shaft issue like me, unless they had 4:10's in but from what iv seen most with 4:10's have not had wrecked drive shafts,,,,something about my car is breaking parts,, and im searching for a reason that makes sence....what say you??

InfamousSVT
11-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Dave B. I would highly recommend you get the Centerforce DFX with the Liberty 26-spline input shaft............stock like feel and it holds the power.

Lightning Force Performance has them for the best price and they are a club vendor. :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
11-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Agreed with Infamous...if you're spending this much on stock stuff, why not upgrade now and let them do it? It'd probably be in your best interest and let them cover the snout and you'll have a clutch that'll hold up to your power a little better :thumbsup:

Dave B.
11-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Yea I hear ya on the upgrade,
thing is I am already putting out $1050 for my portion, I talked to the dealership about it, and the Service manager is not what one would consider
A FAN,,,,of the sports car, his attitude was if I was going to do that maybe I should go ahead and have the car taken some where else,

so what the heck, Ill just live with it

scrmngdave
11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
:( Dave, that sucks man! I would have thought the guy would atleast work with you some, just to keep your business if for nothing else! Anyway, I wouldn't think just adding headers to your car would cause driveline problems. What do you mean by "jerkiness" of the torque? If you have something causing a "jerk" back through the driveline, this will definately cause premature failure of any one of or all of the components you have already had fail.

Dave B.
11-08-2005, 10:09 PM
I already have BBK headers on the car,,,what I was saying is that In only recently put them on,

Before the headers the car would try to rip the base of my scull off the top of my spine, all the torque was in about a 1000 RPM range starting abot 3500 to about 4500 RPM,,,,after that the engine would rev but for no reason, there was nothing left and it did not want to rev, so all the power was consentrated in one hellasious spot, I am thinking thats what did all the damage, of not just the clutch, but my drive shaft as well,

now with the headers the torque and HP are more spread out with most of the torque still peaking at 3500 RPM but the Highest HP is not until 5800 RPM

the headers make it linier

NO 5 OH
11-09-2005, 01:38 AM
but check this out, I have to pay

$160 for a clutch disc (destroyed)

$450 for a flywheel, (destroyed)

and a pilot bearing, have no idea how much that is, but then I have to pay extra for the labor to get the started off with the BBK headers on the car,

they said that was a horrible nightmare, plus I need a 4 wheel alignment, $69,
all and all my portion is $1050 so I got some stuff covered, I mean they could have really stuck it to me with all that stuff on the car, but is this something im going to have when i get more miles on it? Ill say it again,
"I DO NOT DRAG RACE, OR ABUSE IT"

if so, I wish the car had an automatic transmission, i think it would hold up better and would not have all those issues with it, does everyone with a Pulley and headers have this kind of damage/problems?

This is why I'm so glad I do my own work on my own car. I spent just a tad bit more than what you are on good stuff that will last and not "new stock" stuff that will do the same thing again. Might as well bite the bullet and get some good hardware in there that will hold the power.

Shannon <--- in middle of doing clutch install right now :D

smashedheadcat
11-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm going through a clutch install as well........ I got all my stuff from Lethal Performance.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=162029&postcount=47

Dave B.
11-09-2005, 07:50 PM
I hear ya,,,,if so much of it was not warrantee stuff I would have gone with some better gear for sure

Dave B.
11-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Listen, what do you guys think about what I said about my car destroying parts??? did you read what I wrote about my the car was before i installed headers??

I would like to get some opinions on what everyone thinks about my OEM drive shaft that was ruined, then the clutch? guess the clutch could have just been normal HP destruction, but the drive shaft seems to have everyone I tell about it stumped,,,,,,guys making a heck of a lot more power than me have not wrecked there OEM shafts,

as you remember I had to go with a Carbon shaft to stop the vibrations