PDA

View Full Version : What we did Sunday

Mrs TwiceBitten
11-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Larry and I were privileged to be invited to participate with Charles Mathes and his Miata racing team as he drove in an SCCA 6-hour endurance race at Texas World Speedway! We were part of his pit crew and met some wonderful people! There were 7 of us each with a particular function from fuel man to stopwatch to fireman. We all had helmets/Nomex suits to go "over the wall" and let me mention those SCCA marshals don't miss a beat! Safety first! Charles' co-driver Doug Robertson was stuck in Argentina at the last moment, and he was able to co-drive with Bill Mosley who is VERY well-known in RX-7 circles and a pro driver like Charles. They switched drivers every 90 minutes and we kept our pit stops at 3:00 minutes each time but the first, even with a tire change! There were spec racers, Miatas, RX-7s and a few other misc. cars running. Charles and Bill did well overall, with room for improvement next year. A little windblown and tired, we had an excellent time and what a great new experience for us. Very interesting to experience how the crew works together with each small function as important as the next...from strapping the driver in to cleaning the windshield. Charles instructed me last year at TWS...if you ever have a chance to have him as an instructor, take it! :bounce:

Josh968
11-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Sounds like fun! I've done the same with motorcycle endurance teams.

cobrapace94
11-21-2005, 07:04 AM
That sounds like fun, hard work, but lots of fun.

Firme
11-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Wow, I bet that was a great experience. I have had Charles as an instructor before, he is very knowledgable.

Andy M
11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Charles is a great driver AND a great instructor as well!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, he cannot be with us this year at MSRH... :(

Carl G
11-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Sounds like you and larry had a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Charles is a great driver AND a great instructor as well!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, he cannot be with us this year at MSRH... :(

Charles is going to compete in an endurance race in California that weekend :thumbsup: