PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light on the Expedition

John Chingasos
11-22-2005, 08:12 PM
All right Check it out

My check engine light has been on for like 6 weeks and hasnt turned off so I took it to Autozone for a free diagnostic

It came up with a code PO441

and said that the purge flow in the evaporative emission control system is incorrect for the current engine operating conditions

WTF does this mean and yes I have checked my gas cap.

Can anyone help me "cough cough....SVT4RD Cough ....evil cartman.. cough"

Andy M
11-22-2005, 08:57 PM
John,

That is one of those little known codes that Ford has which usually means "Bend over big fella"!! :rolleyes: ;)

But seriously, sounds like something to do with the evap control. That is one of those things which is checked during the drive cycle. The drive cycle happens during power up and checks all your emission controls systems to make sure everything is working correctly. You can thank the Federal emissions folks for that one!! ARGH!! I miss the good old days when a tune up was a set of spark plugs, a new set of points (I'll bet you young folks here don't know what those are?? You were all :baby: when those were in style), a new rotor, and a new distributor cap. Those were the days!!

Check out this web site... they may be able to help you figure this out...

http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/

John Chingasos
12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Still need help on this one

James-SVT4RD Please help me

bluethunder
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow

just noticed you already found this. Let me see what I can fond for ya Man.

Bartman01
12-12-2005, 06:04 PM
ARGH!! I miss the good old days when a tune up was a set of spark plugs, a new set of points (I'll bet you young folks here don't know what those are?? You were all :baby: when those were in style), a new rotor, and a new distributor cap. Those were the days!!

For the kiddies... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm

Then again, now you can hook a laptop up to your car and get info and tweak things to the Nth degree. Don't think we would have those modern F1 engines if they still relied on a rotating distributor at 20,000 RPM.

Back on topic, looked in my 2001 Ford Car CD, and couldn't find that specific code. Everything on that general topic pointed to a fuel vapor leak, blocked fuel vapor hose, or EVAP cannister issues - or a loose gas cap :). Probably a loose or plugged hose, loose wire or dead solenoid, but someone with a book on your car could probably be of more help.

Evilcartman
12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I think the part you need is a 9C987 or something like that. It is a canister purge flow sensor and valve. It comes together in a little kit with all the hoses connected. It is a valve and sensor that controls and monitors the evap canister. James can correct me if I'm wrong on the part number.

bluethunder
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
It ight be the DPFE sensor. It has 2 hoses off of it that go to the exhaust. has to do with the EGR.

Evilcartman
12-12-2005, 10:24 PM
It ight be the DPFE sensor. It has 2 hoses off of it that go to the exhaust. has to do with the EGR.

The EGR and Evap systems are completely separate. DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) sensors throw a different code. The EGR system is separate from the canister purge flow system which dumps raw gas fumes into the vacuum lines. The EGR system recycles exhaust gas back in the intake. You can check a DPFE by just probing the output wire on it or reading the PID on a scan tool. It should be about .6 volts with the key on engine off, assuming that it has the 5 volts reference going in it. Most DPFE sensors I replaced were shorted inside with condensation. If it is a metal one, they also have a white deposit under the hose. Black plastic ones usually just drip out a little water once you pull the hose off.

The Evap system works to make sure that the gas tank does not leak any raw fumes and that the fumes are injected into the intake manifold. In order to do this, the gas tank is pressurized and a FTP (Fuel Tank Pressure) Sensor monitors the amount of pressure. These systems became standard on Fordís in í96 back when OBDII was released. More than likely you have a small leak in the system. It could be a gas cap malfunction, a small leak in the evap lines running from the front to the rear or a bad evap valve under the hood, more than likely the last one. When I was at the dealer, this was potentially the worst type of problem to work on in the drivability department. A pin hole in a Evap vaccum line could cause it. They do have a smoke machine that will pressurize the Evap system and then you can look for leaks, but it never works that well on small holes. Since the truck has been wrecked, it easily could be a cracked or damaged hose.

Evilcartman
12-12-2005, 10:30 PM
John,

That is one of those little known codes that Ford has which usually means "Bend over big fella"!! :rolleyes: ;)

But seriously, sounds like something to do with the evap control. That is one of those things which is checked during the drive cycle. The drive cycle happens during power up and checks all your emission controls systems to make sure everything is working correctly. You can thank the Federal emissions folks for that one!! ARGH!! I miss the good old days when a tune up was a set of spark plugs, a new set of points (I'll bet you young folks here don't know what those are?? You were all :baby: when those were in style), a new rotor, and a new distributor cap. Those were the days!!

Check out this web site... they may be able to help you figure this out...

http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/

Donít forget points and condensers. :D :D I still have a car sitting in Colorado that has them. :bounce:

Blownsvtlightning
12-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Still need help on this one

James-SVT4RD Please help me

are you sure it's a P0441? and not a Po401?

John Chingasos
12-13-2005, 10:49 AM
I am pretty sure

I can go back to autozone and double check again, but I wrote it off of the print out from the autozone Dude's gadget

ORANGE CRUSH
12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
I think its the PPZX44099-XXYY01 Pedo Flux Capassitor tube outlet sensor element:D

Levi
12-13-2005, 05:10 PM
I think its the PPZX44099-XXYY01 Pedo Flux Capassitor tube outlet sensor element:D

:rotf:

Go, go, Mr Gadget. :p

97CasperCobra
12-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I'd say it's the flux capacitor or the Hyperdrive system. Good luck changing those out... ;)