PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! Who else is shifting via MGWs Engineering MARVEL?

jimmysidecarr
11-25-2005, 06:36 PM
This thing is AMAZING!!!
I absolutely LOVE IT!!!
Between the improvement from the Royal Purple Syncromax... and the MGW shifter....

IT FEELS LIKE A TOTALLY NEW TRANS!!!! :bounce: :woot: :banana: :headbang: :flash: :firebounc :love: :love: :love: :love:

Lets hear from you if you are running one...

Oh and yes it's almost as quiet as the stock MUSHSTICK shifter :rolleyes:

Can't wait for this weekend!!! :bounce: :p

raven69david
11-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Well i'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I can't wait to install it.

97CasperCobra
11-26-2005, 12:00 AM
:hello: .......MGW makes some of the best stuff out there and their quality and customer sevice is #1!!!

George always takes care of his customers....I'm living proof!! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I have one on my Mystichrome too Jimmy! :thumbsup:

spitfire
11-27-2005, 08:25 AM
I have one Jimmy, on the Spitfire! :thumbsup:

pdogkilr
11-27-2005, 12:36 PM
George was nice enough to send me one of the prototypes for evaluation about a year ago. I had already outfitted a Miata, a 2003 MACH1, and my '03 Cobra with just about everything he makes, but still a very nice gesture on his part.

We had talked about my luck with Steeda, and Pro 5.0 Shifters at one of the SCMC fall Drag Days at Carolina Dragway. He said he was developing one, and would send me a sample, if I would write up an evaluation. A few months later, one was dropped off by UPS. George is NOT just talk!

Rick and I installed it, taking photos during the process. I wrote it up and sent the data to George, including a couple of drivers opinions. Got a nice thank you note from him!

A month or so later, George called me at the office to talk about gating springs. Seems he was not happy with the original choice, and asked if he could send me some new ones. Two days later we installed the springs and wrote it up again.

My pickup is a stick shift with 265K miles on the original clutch. Said that because I have almost forgotten how to drive an automatic. Find myself reaching for two pedals in my wife's car when coming to a light. Anyway, the MGW shifter is better than any shifter I have ever used. The difference is literally daylight and dark between it and other shifters.

Bottom line is: If George makes it - - I want it !!

97CasperCobra
11-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Larry needs one in the R :cool:

Twice Bitten
11-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Larry needs one in the R :cool:

Christmas is right around the corner MIKE! ;)
What about Frankenstang? :(

97CasperCobra
11-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Christmas is right around the corner MIKE! ;)
What about Frankenstang? :(

if Frankenstang ever got driven then I'd suggest one for that car too. :p

Twice Bitten
11-27-2005, 03:59 PM
if Frankenstang ever got driven then I'd suggest one for that car too. :p

Driven, the rings were driven right out of the block :eek: :( :p

sbc.cobra
11-27-2005, 08:26 PM
i've had a Pro 5.0 and a Steeda Triax in my 03...now have the MGW and will never go back. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
I looked at a few different install write ups over the last few days...
And though I don't believe it says to in the(excellent) instructions I took it back apart and installed the INNER inner boot... making three total counting the leather one...

It appears now... that it is in fact quieter than the stock shifter!!!
An amazing feat!!!

Having driven it a little more... I must say the ease of acquiring 3rd and 5th is remarkable!!!
Plus back and forth from 4th to 3rd is a much more confident maneuver!!(no more grabbing second by mistake!!!)

I've never tried any of the "other" shifters... But knowing what I know now... There will be no need...

I love the short and sure little "snick" "snick" when shifting!!!

This car finally has a WORTHY shifter :hail:

:thumbsup:

Firme
11-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Great to hear that you like it Jimmy! :thumbsup:

Now aren't you glad you Test Drove mine :D

jimmysidecarr
11-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Great to hear that you like it Jimmy! :thumbsup:

Now aren't you glad you Test Drove mine :D

MOST DEFINITELY!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :headbang:

AirForce1
11-28-2005, 01:48 PM
i have had the upr blue thunder shifter, and the triax and now i have the mgw.

i have had it since last yeas and i love it. i would not use or recommend anything else.:thumbsup:

raven69david
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
UPS man brought me a present today:thumbsup:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/7056/dsc01588.jpg

jimmysidecarr
11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
UPS man brought me a present today:thumbsup:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/7056/dsc01588.jpg

David..
See how you can see the grease in that pic???
Transfer the inner most boot from the stock shifter onto the MGW after you get the stops adjusted out of the way and locked down. Which is after the bolt down of the shifter itself... It will be incredibly quiet!!!

Also it is easiest to refill through the shifter hole.. so if you have ever thought about changing fluid(GM Syncromesh or Royal Purple Syncromax) to further improve shifts and shift feel... now would be the time...

Although GEEK that I am... I did the fluid first because I had to prove to myself that it worked as claimed!!!
It does!!! Royal Purple Syncromax ROCKS!!! :headbang:

You are going to LOVE THAT SHIFTER!!! :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Also it is easiest to refill through the shifter hole.. so if you have ever thought about changing fluid(GM Syncromesh or Royal Purple Syncromax) to further improve shifts and shift feel... now would be the time...

I've heard you should NOT do this as you will probably put too much fluid in the tranny. :dunno:

tazzracing1
11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I couldn't believe the difference like said before like night and day. I have had a few friends with the other shifters and they will be changing over after driving mine with the mgw.

Evilcartman
11-28-2005, 09:14 PM
George was nice enough to send me one of the prototypes for evaluation about a year ago. I had already outfitted a Miata, a 2003 MACH1, and my '03 Cobra with just about everything he makes, but still a very nice gesture on his part.

We had talked about my luck with Steeda, and Pro 5.0 Shifters at one of the SCMC fall Drag Days at Carolina Dragway. He said he was developing one, and would send me a sample, if I would write up an evaluation. A few months later, one was dropped off by UPS. George is NOT just talk!

Rick and I installed it, taking photos during the process. I wrote it up and sent the data to George, including a couple of drivers opinions. Got a nice thank you note from him!

A month or so later, George called me at the office to talk about gating springs. Seems he was not happy with the original choice, and asked if he could send me some new ones. Two days later we installed the springs and wrote it up again.

My pickup is a stick shift with 265K miles on the original clutch. Said that because I have almost forgotten how to drive an automatic. Find myself reaching for two pedals in my wife's car when coming to a light. Anyway, the MGW shifter is better than any shifter I have ever used. The difference is literally daylight and dark between it and other shifters.

Bottom line is: If George makes it - - I want it !!

I got one of the first ones also. I replaced my Steeda with it. Worth every penny. I have had many other shifters on other cars, but this is by far superior. The quality makes me wish George made more items for our cars, like CAI and T-bodies.

raven69david
11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the tip Jimmy.:thumbsup: I can't wait to take it out for a spin tomorrow after the install.:bounce:

Bartman01
11-28-2005, 10:40 PM
I've heard you should do this as you will probably put too much fluid in the tranny. :dunno:

I assume you mean "shouldn't"? Doesn't matter which way you fill, you can overfill either way. At least on my car - if you put the recommended amount in, it supposedly does not reach all the way to the fill hole opening. Given that I didn't personally re-fill my trans when the fluid was replaced I can not confirm this. So either way - through the fill hole or though the top you are ok if you just put in what the manual calls for.

jimmysidecarr
11-29-2005, 10:15 AM
I've heard you should NOT do this as you will probably put too much fluid in the tranny. :dunno:

I had the fill plug out... so I poured in the fluid until I heard it dripping in the drain pan...

Then I let it drip until it stopped...

If that is over full then there are hundreds of thousands of over full transmissions out there!!!

It is nearly impossible to install an exactly measured liquid through the "syringe like" plunger pumps, which is the normal method.... or a bulk ATF pump hose while on a lift...

So if the "fill hole" is in fact not the proper level...

I guess I'm not alone... :scratch:

Bartman01
11-29-2005, 10:38 AM
I guess I'm not alone... :scratch:

You are not. The joy of the internet is all the misinformation out there that is passed around as fact. Personally, I doubt that any Ford tech actually measures the fluid going into the trans - they just pump until it comes out the hole. The "word" on line is that this is "too-much" and "won't leave room for fluid expansion". My guess is that they are over analyzing the problem.

raven69david
11-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Well i installed it yesterday and all i can say is WOW. :eek: The handle is much stiffer than the stock shifter, however now i feel secure banging it into each gear as opposed to my stock shifter which i would carefully place into each gear.

I now take the scenic room through all of the neighborhoods instead of using the expressway so i can play with the shifter more.:D It feels like i'm playing Grand Turismo X for real with the shifter.

Mephisto
12-01-2005, 09:31 AM
My only advice is do not spill a Starbucks latte all over your shifter, your car will stink for at least 1 year.

Carl G
12-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey I got to get that shifter after the track event. My Pro5 is loud, loud, loud!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it is half as good as everyone claims then I am going to buy one next week :thumbsup: Any volunteers to help install? I am not very mechanical.

jimmysidecarr
12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey I got to get that shifter after the track event. My Pro5 is loud, loud, loud!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it is half as good as everyone claims then I am going to buy one next week :thumbsup: Any volunteers to help install? I am not very mechanical.
You will love it!!!
I maybe able to help if we can get together on a time... after it comes in.
It's pretty easy... It will probably take about an hour(if we just do the shifter)
It's also the easiest way to refill the trans if you are doing a fluid change.
:thumbsup:

raven69david
12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
You really DO have to get the shifter. It's amazing. As far as install, it's pretty simple. I'm not mechanical either, but the install seemed pretty straight forward. It was almost as easy as rotating your tires.:)

Evilcartman
12-02-2005, 08:09 AM

Bring it out to my house. I will install it for ya. I have done at least 15 of them. I think I still have the gasket maker laying around.

97CasperCobra
12-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Bring it out to my house. I will install it for ya. I have done at least 15 of them. I think I still have the gasket maker laying around.

or just bring it to a Starbuck's...we'll put it in. :thumbsup: