PDA

View Full Version : Racing plans for 06

Cobra-R
11-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Where is everyone planning on racing next year? Racing AV8SS, NASA, SCCA, ect?

Brian

Black Horse
11-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Right now (as long as all the pieces hold together and the $'s hold out) I will be running the full OH/IN NASA schedule and am planning to do the AV8SS race at Gingerman.

Of course I may need some sponsor to step up and help (hint, hint) or I need the winning lottery numbers.

Cobra-R
11-27-2005, 07:42 PM
How about coming to CMP in March and racing a second AV8SS race, Dave? Help me talk Dean into coming as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian

cobrabitn
11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Dave,

I heard of some place that was looking to sponsor a real race driver like yourself.....I think it is called....Groth Implement or something like that. :rotf:

Dean95CobraR
11-28-2005, 07:34 AM
I wish I knew what was happening for next year. I'm still going back and forth on which region or series to run. It's hard to run both series since you need different tires for each.

I was really leaning towards AV8SS but the NASA Nationals really have me intrigued. To race against some of the best drivers across the country would be a blast. :bounce:

The Midwest NASA schedule looks pretty good with a couple of Road America races.

I'm not sure about CMP since I have no idea if my engine will be done that early.

thomasmoran1
11-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey guys, we plan on making it to CMP in March and hopefully a couple of other races... We've made some changes to the car (what else is new) Moton dampers and some data acquisition. During this season we would like to switch to manual brakes which will allow us to set the driver back by about ten inches. Then some light weight wheels and an FR500 intake and we should have a car that can run at the sharp end of the grid in AV8SS (the driver might be another story). Hope to see all you guys out there.

Thomas

johnbasf
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Dean, according to the "National" website you only need 5 points races to qualify for the Nationals. I really like what NASA National did to try and offset the cost next year. Do the Mid Ohio events in OH/IN to prep your car for the Nationals. Maybe that would free you up for some "other" races. :D

cobrabitn
11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Thomas..you are the best freaking driver I have ever seen during my 5 years of open tracking. I'd put your skills up against anyone! :thumbsup:

thomasmoran1
11-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Thomas..you are the best freaking driver I have ever seen during my 5 years of open tracking. I'd put your skills up against anyone! :thumbsup:

Tony, thanks for the vote of confidence but we'll have to wait and see, open tracking and racing are two different animals (Saying that I'll still go two wide through the kink at CMP this year with anyone who's game :thumbsup: )

Dean95CobraR
11-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Dean, according to the "National" website you only need 5 points races to qualify for the Nationals. I really like what NASA National did to try and offset the cost next year. Do the Mid Ohio events in OH/IN to prep your car for the Nationals. Maybe that would free you up for some "other" races. :D

That would be an option but I can't afford to buy 2 different sets of tires. :( It would be fun running both series though. :cool:

Cobra-R
11-29-2005, 09:03 AM
That would be an option but I can't afford to buy 2 different sets of tires. :( It would be fun running both series though. :cool:

Dean
I think you were offered a set of tires for AV8SS yesterday if I remember right?????????????? :thumbsup: :bounce:

John,
Keep the pressure on, dean is weak and will cave in..............and then Dave will cave in..........then ????????

Brian

Cobra-R
11-29-2005, 09:07 AM
(Saying that I'll still go two wide through the kink at CMP this year with anyone who's game :thumbsup: )

Depends on whether I am on the inside or outside, but what the heck I go with ya thru there.................................on the warm up lap ;) :thumbsup: :doubt:

Brian

Dean95CobraR
11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Dean
I think you were offered a set of tires for AV8SS yesterday if I remember right?????????????? :thumbsup: :bounce: Brian

Yes, you are right. I thought John was talking about more than just Gingerman. I just don't know if I will be ready for CMP in Mid March. I will say that I just bought an engine block for a killer deal thanks to Dave Diehl. :thumbsup:

Cobra-R
11-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Yes, you are right. I thought John was talking about more than just Gingerman.:

I think he was. :bounce: But I wasn't. :thumbsup:

I just don't know if I will be ready for CMP in Mid March. I will say that I just bought an engine block for a killer deal thanks to Dave Diehl. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not that I like to start trouble, but I heard Thomas said you drove like a girl(not that this is a bad thing) and he could lap you at CMP. Personally I don't think so, but in order to preserve your honor, you might want to plan a trip to the south next March. :p

Brian

cobrabitn
11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I think you mean sissy Brian... :rotf: (He, he...that'll get him going) :D

I can't believe you all are talking smack and we don't even have the registration forms up yet. :p

Big Daddy
11-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Well to get this thread back on track...I'm going to try the ECTA races next year. They are a standing mile race to see how fast you can go. In other words a one mile drag race for the fastest MPH. The first race is in April and is being sponsored by Hot Rod Magazine and will be called the Hot Rod World Speed Challenge. :thumbsup:

Cobra-R
11-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Well to get this thread back on track...I'm going to try the ECTA races next year. They are a standing mile race to see how fast you can go. In other words a one mile drag race for the fastest MPH. The first race is in April and is being sponsored by Hot Rod Magazine and will be called the Hot Rod World Speed Challenge. :thumbsup:

Greg,
Good luck, Greg. Keep us posted on how you do. :thumbsup: :bounce:

Brian

b_tone
11-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Yes, you are right. I thought John was talking about more than just Gingerman. I just don't know if I will be ready for CMP in Mid March. I will say that I just bought an engine block for a killer deal thanks to Dave Diehl. :thumbsup:

Was it a Dart type (4blt mains) or a stock type block?

Big Daddy
11-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Greg,
Good luck, Greg. Keep us posted on how you do. :thumbsup: :bounce:

Brian

Thanks Brian! It's a little cheaper to compete in this series than to do AV8SS or NASA and less time consuming! :D ;)

Dean95CobraR
11-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Was it a Dart type (4blt mains) or a stock type block?

I'm done with the stock type blocks. I've used the Ford Sportsman block in the past and when something goes wrong internally, then it seems to crack the cylinder wall. I've sleeved 1 block and it seeped a little so I'm not going to do that again.

Although I don't think the block had anything to do with blowing the engine, it just couldn't take the shock. I am hoping that if something goes wrong with this motor, I won't have to replace the block. There is also more room on the cylinder walls to bore out if it gets scratched.

b_tone
11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm done with the stock type blocks. I've used the Ford Sportsman block in the past and when something goes wrong internally, then it seems to crack the cylinder wall. I've sleeved 1 block and it seeped a little so I'm not going to do that again.

Although I don't think the block had anything to do with blowing the engine, it just couldn't take the shock. I am hoping that if something goes wrong with this motor, I won't have to replace the block. There is also more room on the cylinder walls to bore out if it gets scratched.

So it's a dart type block.

Is dave selling these or was this something that he had laying around?

I am in the market for a block hence the questions.

Black Horse
11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
So it's a dart type block.

Is dave selling these or was this something that he had laying around?

I am in the market for a block hence the questions.

I just hooked Dean up with the local speed shop who tries to give us real racer types good deals. Call Craig (and speak only to Craig, he's the owner) at Cincy Speed 513-821-2221

Dean saved a few bucks buy not having shipping (I'll pick it up for him).

Be sure to tell Craig I sent ya!

Edit: Spoke with Craig tonight, his deal still stands for the hardcore race bunch - $1750 cash or $1850 on credit card.

95cobraR
12-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Where is everyone planning on racing next year? Racing AV8SS, NASA, SCCA, ect?
HSR/SVRA :D

I do hope to make a couple of NASA/AV8SS events (O/T, probably).

How was the weather last year at the March CMP event?

P/S I've had good luck with a sleeved Mexican block (but it's probably not running as much compression as you guys). It does have a 7000rpm redline.

Big Daddy
12-08-2005, 11:31 AM
HSR/SVRA :D

I do hope to make a couple of NASA/AV8SS events (O/T, probably).

How was the weather last year at the March CMP event?

P/S I've had good luck with a sleeved Mexican block (but it's probably not running as much compression as you guys). It does have a 7000rpm redline.

WINDY, the temps weren't bad but the Wind on Saturday SUCKED! It had sand all over the track which made driving VERY INTERESTING! ;) :D

Dean95CobraR
01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I think I've made a decision on my racing plans for next year. I'm going to stick with the Oh/In AI group with a few other races mixed in there.

The NASA nationals sealed the deal for me and would love to race against some of the best AI drivers in the country. I just hope that NASA makes this event as good as I know it could be. Time will tell.

Took the new Dart block to the builders this week. My builder is going to weigh both of them to see how much heavier the Dart block is. No big changes to the engine except a new valve spring combination since obviously my last one didn't work out to well. I will also be getting new pistons so the bore won't have to be bored .030" over. I guess I'll have a 342 instead of a 347. ;)

I'm also getting a new set of shocks so all my front Koni DA's and rear Koni 30 (Griggs) shocks will be sold. Also the coilover kits that go with them. Let me know if you are interested.

Hope everyone is having a Happy New Year! :bounce:

kevin
01-08-2006, 02:11 AM
i will be doing "some" scca racing. we're down to only two races with two tracks closed down.

nasa is starting up here and i'm getting involved with that now.

Mystic_Cobra
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I will be racing the full American Iron East schedule as a rookie and maybe some additional events depending on schedule.

American Iron East #16 Mystic Cobra

Dean95CobraR
01-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I will be racing the full American Iron East schedule as a rookie and maybe some additional events depending on schedule.

American Iron East #16 Mystic Cobra

Any chance you'll be at the NASA nationals? :thumbsup:

Cobra-R
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
It was a tough decision, but I decided to go back to AI as well. I will run a AV8SS race or two also. Hopefully I can make it to the Nationals, would be fun to race against the other top racers.

Brian

Mystic_Cobra
01-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes, I plan to attend!

Dean95CobraR
01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes, I plan to attend!

Awesome! I haven't seen you in quite awhile. Hmmm, maybe Gingerman a few years ago.

BTW - I noticed on the NASA boards that you were asking about numbers, graphics and etc etc....

Give Dave Diehl (Black Horse) a shout and he can fix you up.
Sorry but I have to plug one of my sponsors and a fellow long time SCMC member. :thumbsup:

johnbasf
01-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I plan on RACING to the bank and sending my daughters $$$$$$$. :rotf:

Cobra-R
01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
It was a tough decision, but I decided to go back to AI as well. I will run a AV8SS race or two also. Hopefully I can make it to the Nationals, would be fun to race against the other top racers.

Brian

Due to a possible schedule change, things might be swinging twards AV8SS again..................In other words, I guess I spoke too soon. :baby: :rotf:

Brian

bolt-on
01-18-2006, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Dean95CobraR]I think I've made a decision on my racing plans for next year. I'm going to stick with the Oh/In AI group with a few other races mixed in there.

Dean, why no GingerMan date this year? Are they trying to eliminate your home field advantage? Is Mid-Ohio four times, Putnam Park twice and BeaveRun once the final schedule?

Black Horse
01-21-2006, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=Dean95CobraR]I think I've made a decision on my racing plans for next year. I'm going to stick with the Oh/In AI group with a few other races mixed in there.

Dean, why no GingerMan date this year? Are they trying to eliminate your home field advantage? Is Mid-Ohio four times, Putnam Park twice and BeaveRun once the final schedule?

From what information I can gather - the multi Mid-Ohio dates resulted from negiotiations with the MO staff that secured the whole "National" deal. I think the lack of Gingerman was based on the new management of Gingerman and the OH/IN director not reaching an acceptable financial arrangement.

With the complete re-paving of Mid-Ohio the whole playing field should be leveled from the start, we'll all be a bunch of "rookies".

Is it Spring yet?

Black Horse
01-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Due to a possible schedule change, things might be swinging twards AV8SS again..................In other words, I guess I spoke too soon. :baby: :rotf:

Brian

Maybe we ought to paint your car to look like a big waffle!