PDA

View Full Version : How to convince the wife I should by a Cobra

Fig
11-28-2005, 11:40 AM
What are some good ways to convince the wife that I should purchase a 03 Cobra over a GT Mustang?
I have already planted some preliminary differences, even if I am streching it, like the IRS will give the Cobra a better ride. I know the Cobra has better breaks that will help stop quicker, but is there anything else I could use to convince her?
I know many have said "just but one", but then I would loose the house, RV, and Jet Skis. I don't think I am to that point yet.
Any suggestions?

Cobra4me
11-28-2005, 12:37 PM
tell her it will retain its value more than a gt. Also there alot of gt's and few cobras on the road

cobracrazy
11-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I took my wife with me when I went car shopping. We drove some GTs and then drove an 03' Cobra. After letting her drive both cars all she said was... "I don't know what the differences is but the Cobra is a lot better car.." Hence we got the Cobra. You will notice a lot of small diferences in the cars like..
1) Better handling (No comparison)
2) Better Vert top material (Park two verts next to each other and you will see)
3) Better interior with much better seats
4) More power
5) better braking
6) Better looking car
etc.

Have her look at both cars side by side. The Cobra has a much better hood, trunk lid and bumpers. They look a lot better.

BTW: My vert is for sale... PM if interested in the details
The only reason I am selling mine is so I can buy a dedicated track car.

TL04SVT
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
agree :thumbsup: Get a Cobra, after I test drove a GT and then the Cobra, it was no comparison. I had to have the Cobra! :D

nckissfan
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
let her drive both to compare, look at convertible Cobras, she will not say no then.:thumbsup:

secondchance
11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I guess it depends on who will drive the car the most. If this is to be your car and you really want the Cobra then you should buy it. If it is hers, then get the GT. Equally shared? Again, go with the Cobra. It is way more fun and you may not get a second chance.
We were in the same position when we made the decision to buy our pre-owned '03 Cobra almost three years ago. We plan to keep it long-term. My better half does not drive it since she is uncomfortable with the six speed. After the '03 was paid for, she got a pre-owned '04 GT 40th Anniversary package convertible with an auto trans. We are both very happy with our cars, it was just a matter of timing.

Bartman01
11-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Reasons to get a Cobra over a GT:

1) You get to join SCMC (do you still need another reason?)
2) Will you be happy with the performance of a GT? It would probably cost more to buy GT + mod to = performance of the Cobra.
3) IRS is MUCH nicer around town if that is the main purpose for the car. However, the IRS in its STOCK form is probably not a good fit for any serious track time (1/4 or open track). Then again for serious track time expect to re-do the entire suspension on either car.
4) Looks nicer (IMHO).
5) Holds value better.
6) Did I mention SCMC?

blk04cobra1
11-29-2005, 09:01 AM
If the wife and you are both comfortable driving the manual, go with the cobra, no question...if you're looking for an auto, buy the cobra and put an auto in it :rotf: (in all seriousness, if she's happy with the 6speed, just get the cobra)

cobracrazy
11-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Your wife will drive the stick shift just fine. All the women in my family drive a stick shift. My mother drives my Cobra and loves it. (We trade now and then she has a Vette and a motorcycle, cool mom huh?) My wife drives the Cobra and she loves it. How could you not love the Cobra? :rotf:

My father has a GT and it is nothing like the Cobra, except they are both built by Ford.

Fig
11-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The car will be for me, she has her explorer, and luckly she can drive a manual if she need to drive it. It's my turn its been almost 4 years since I blew a break line on the 87 GT an totaled it and she convinced me not to have a car payment. My T-bird is a 5.0 but way to heavy to be fun and is over the 240k mile mark. A GT Mustang is ok but I want the "shock an awa" of the Cobra.

The first thing I do when I purchase one is actually join the club and find out when the next auto cross is.

cobrabitn
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Bart,

Did I mention you are da man?!!!

:D

tazzracing1
11-29-2005, 09:58 PM
I have had 3 mustangs and a 97 Cobra and today I have an 03 Cobra coupe. I know that if you get the Cobra you will not be disappointed in the purchase I have NO regrets in purchasing either Cobras and would never buy anything else. I think that your wife will be happy also my wife smiled today when I pulled in the yard hopped in and said lets go for a ride. She was much happier with the ride and feel of the car. Buy the Cobra you will be happy and have no regrets. The insurance isn't that much more either I think mine was $6.00. The other benefit is S.C.M.C. I and glad to have found the people here they are like family.

ausie
12-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Hands down, the 03/04 Cobra is probably one of the best mustangs on the street. I have yet to test drive or even ride in an 05 GT.

IT all depends on what you want. Either a SAE Grin :D (wild) or a Mona Lisa :) (mild like the timid GT).

I am just happy I have one since I do know what I would be missing if I did not. I used to have an 01 and thought why bother with the 03/04. That was until I took a test drive in an 04 and went home with it that same day. :thumbsup:

Cobrizo
12-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Good luck with the Cobra! Once she drives it you may not get it back. Seriously, get the Cobra. :)

Oh, forgot to mention, my '03 is my hotrod with Stingers an MRT mid pipe and a few other fun things. It sounds awesome and is a blast to drive. Good luck!

Pam

AirForce1
12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Good luck with the Cobra! Once she drives it you may not get it back. Seriously, get the Cobra. :)

:stupid:

the cobra is a lot more fun then a gt would be. It handles like a dream and it has a lot more power then the gt would. I bought mine at the end of 03 from a nother person and ever since then i have had it a hotrod weekend car. But wheather it is a daly driver or a weekend car it is still a blast to drive and i would never own any other mustang but a cobra. good luck with getting the car. :thumbsup: Did i also mention that will get a lot more looks in the cobra then the gt.:D