PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Question

SuperG
11-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Folks, I was wondering where you guys typically get your Cobra's dynoed and tuned? Do any of you perform your own tunes through software from SCT or Tweecer?

Thanks for any help!

raven69david
11-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Well i'm waiting on my first dyno-tune. I will be using a tweecer, but i may go the SCT route. I'm not a big fan of chips though. The only reason for going the SCT route is because no further mods will be made to the car within the next several months or more. There will be small changes made, but nothing major like heads or u/l intakes. The computer can adjust for the small changes i make. If i do make a big change i'll need to go back to the dyno anyway. I'm finding out that getting dyno-tuned with a tweeker is a bit more of a challenge in finding a shop that has the experise to do that.

I was originally gonna get dyno-tuned at CCS in P'ville, however i've heard that Jim isn't there anymore so now i'm kind of lost on a dyno-tuning facility. I've heard he is still doing it indepedently so hopefully i can get a hold of him when the weather heats up again. I'm sure you'll get some good dyno-tuning facility referrals from the guys here as i don't know of many personally in the Houston area.

Since it is now cold i do not plan on getting dyno-tuned until next spring/summer. I want the conditions to be what they are normally like in san antonio: hot & humid. No point in getting dyno-tuned when it's cool as the parameters will be set for the car to run in those types of temps which typically only last 6 to 8 weeks, if that, around here. So for now i'm stuck playing the waiting game and living with idle issues. The car used to be fun to drive, now it's a PITA due to the bucking and poor driveability down low. The only time that is negated is when i get on it and then you can really feel how much power & potential the car has. Since it's not dyno-tuned though i don't really get on it that often in fear of messing something up.

cobrapace94
11-30-2005, 10:30 AM
There are a few shops in town that can tune Mustangs. Slaters Mustangs, Houston Performance, Triangle speed shop & Bumbaras, just make sure it is a safe tune. If you are finished the mods to the car, then a tune would be good way to go.
I've looked at the tweecer, you need a lap top & would be best to have a wide band O2 sensor. The tweecer has a high learning curve from my understanding, but can get good results with one. Not sure it you still have a FMU or are running larger injectors & MAF. Any way you go, it would be best to get the larger injectors & MAF meter to get the most out of your combination.
I don't know much about the SCT tuner.

SuperG
11-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Wow...it has been warm down here, huh? I was in Corpus Monday and the gorls are still wearing bikini tops!

Regarding injectors, what are the stock injector sizes? And I have several friends with Tweecer RT's so datalogging issues can be shared and compared...however...they have different cars! Nonetheless, the issues are similar so perhaps that's something to consider...

I will go for a tune as soon as I get the '97 in to town...can hardly wait!!!

Thanks guys! I will let you know what the before and after tunes get...

Codes
11-30-2005, 10:46 PM
I dunno, I think a few people on this board might have had a bad experience or talked to someone that did, but we had our car tuned by Strictly and we havent had any problems so far. I also have a friend that has a 700+ hp (on the juice, like 640 hp off) daily driven 03 Cobra that has completely stock internals that was built and tuned by strictly and he hasnt had any problems either.

PS. You must have not gotten the memo, it doesnt get cold here.:D

Twice Bitten
12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
I dunno, I think a few people on this board might have had a bad experience or talked to someone that did, but we had our car tuned by Strictly and we havent had any problems so far. I also have a friend that has a 700+ hp (on the juice, like 640 hp off) daily driven 03 Cobra that has completely stock internals that was built and tuned by strictly and he hasnt had any problems either.

PS. You must have not gotten the memo, it doesnt get cold here.:D

The rings will not last long at that HP, trust me I know :D

Codes
12-01-2005, 12:41 AM
The rings will not last long at that HP, trust me I know :DWell, he has been at that power lvl for a while now and so far he hasnt had any problems. It is very possible that they went in and did some internal work because I havent talked to him in a while, but I do know that nothing major is done on the inside.

Twice Bitten
12-01-2005, 01:03 AM
If he has not done anything internally, have him do a ring pressure check on a regular basis, the stock rings will give out sooner rather than later.

Codes
12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
If he has not done anything internally, have him do a ring pressure check on a regular basis, the stock rings will give out sooner rather than later.Thanks!! I need to get in touch with him before I leave to go down to the track for the hell of it. Ill get specifics on what he has done then.:thumbsup:

bluethunder
12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
There are a few shops in town that can tune Mustangs. Slaters Mustangs, Houston Performance, Triangle speed shop & Bumbaras, just make sure it is a safe tune. If you are finished the mods to the car, then a tune would be good way to go.
I've looked at the tweecer, you need a lap top & would be best to have a wide band O2 sensor. The tweecer has a high learning curve from my understanding, but can get good results with one. Not sure it you still have a FMU or are running larger injectors & MAF. Any way you go, it would be best to get the larger injectors & MAF meter to get the most out of your combination.
I don't know much about the SCT tuner.
Bumberas Does Not do tuning anymore, Dynojoe has left and moved over to doing tuning at Fastlane!
AS for the Tweecer, Ben FRaiser Is about the only one in town that stil does the tweecer. SCT has by far the best product out there and it works.
I've tuned Carl's Car, Todd's car , and several others here and have had great success with drivability and Power.

Twice Bitten
12-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Bumberas Does Not do tuning anymore, Dynojoe has left and moved over to doing tuning at Fastlane!
AS for the Tweecer, Ben FRaiser Is about the only one in town that stil does the tweecer. SCT has by far the best product out there and it works.
I've tuned Carl's Car, Todd's car , and several others here and have had great success with drivability and Power.

What about my car? :(

bluethunder
12-01-2005, 09:55 AM
What about my car? :(

Didn't have very good Success with yours. It is at the house of MaGic Fingers now.
Besides Can't tune a car with Crappy Spark plugs! ;)

SuperG
12-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Didn't have very good Success with yours. It is at the house of MaGic Fingers now.
Besides Can't tune a car with Crappy Spark plugs! ;)
So Blue, you have the SCT tuning software? What would I need for you to tune my car?

bluethunder
12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
So Blue, you have the SCT tuning software? What would I need for you to tune my car?

either and SCT chip or an X-cal I or X-cal II