PDA

View Full Version : Lost locking lug nut key on a 96

kinderlied
11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Can't find my lug nut key anywhere. I went to Big O tire and they said they would have to drill the locking lugs out and it would cost over $50.00. What alternatives do I have with this? Can I get one from Ford, or is there some other way to get them off at home with a few tools? Thanks in advance.

Kevin in AZ

tazzracing1
11-30-2005, 11:04 PM
There is a socket to remove the lock lugnut. I'm not sure if autozone carries it but I know snap-on does. I'm lucky because I'm good friends with the shop owner down street. I use his to when I miss place my key. I would stop by a locale garage to see if they would help you out. I agree $50.00 is nuts not to mention then you have to buy new lugnuts the tool doesn't hurt the lugnuts. Ford should be able to help also and get you a new key.

InfamousSVT
11-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I had a shop use a torque gun too much on my locking key and they broke it

I had them put the rest of the lugs back on it and then took it down the road to another shop that a friend of mine owns. Took the wheel locks off for free! :D

InfamousSVT
11-30-2005, 11:42 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=Wheel+lock+remover&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

This is what you need to get them off. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
12-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Go to any Ford dealer and ask them to take them off. (They usually do this for free) Tip the guy who does it for you and you will have developed a good working relationship for the future. :thumbsup:

kinderlied
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. This afternoon I did go to Sanderson Ford in Glendale, AZ hoping they would have a "better idea" than I had last night. They have a set of master lug nuts keys and took my locking lugs off for free. They also gave me a phone number and 3 digit number to use to get a replacment key. They said it would cost about $15.00 or so and can be overnighted.

Kevin in AZ

InfamousSVT
12-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Glad you got everything worked out! :thumbsup: