PDA

View Full Version : Daily Driver is driving me nuts

mojosvt
12-01-2005, 09:57 AM
What's up ya'll. just thought I would ask a quick question, to see if anybody could throw some advice my way. I drive a P.O.S. eagle talon on crappy day, to keep the cobra clean. Lately it has been really acting up. About a week ago it would stall as I came to a stop light and put the clutch in. It would start right up again, but idle rough, but runs fine as long as I am at speed. It has been doing that for about a week, but as long as i give her a little gas before i put the clutch it, it would recover and not stall. Then yesterday I went to start and warm up the car in the morning, It would start and then just die. over and over again it would start fine, then just die. After I drive it around the block and warm the car up for a few min, i can stop, and it will idol fine. I have no clue what the deal it. Any help would be great. Like i said it is a 96 Eagle talon, with about 90,000 on the engine. thanks, mike

BlueOvalPower
12-01-2005, 10:04 AM
A good tune up with a fuel filter change would be a good start. That happend to me when the car rests the stuff in the filter would settle then with driving it would restrict the flow so at low speeds it would flow really poorly better at higher speeds. Air, Fuel, Spark, any restricted will do that. Good Luck

nckissfan
12-01-2005, 12:55 PM
my p.o.s. daily driver is doing some crazy stuff, too. It is a 89 LX Mustang with the 4cyl. When the car is cold, I can drive it normal, but after about 20 minutes of driving, if I stop, the car stumbles going through the gears. If I push the gas too much it does this. I can feather the throttle and it will stop stumbling. I am going to try the fuel filter first. Any other ideas?

dewone
12-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Tune up boys wires and all the associated rotors, caps, plugs, air filters can I under line filters. My truck did the same some time ago. The oil change center had stripped the theads on the air box. So for along time it had gone unchanged, it started acting up and so I took on the stripped threads problem. All the sudden I was getting 17 miles to gal from 9 it starts cold blah blah blah. If you need help Mike you know where I live.

nckissfan
12-01-2005, 02:18 PM
hmmm, air filter is new, maybe the wires are bad

03slidewayzSVT
12-01-2005, 05:34 PM
it sounds like an air idle control problem for one and or a fouled plug or a vacuum leak. look at everything you just don't know it could be a couple a things.:thumbsup:

ausie
12-02-2005, 06:26 AM
Too many things to list which may cause this. Faulty PCV valve or vacuum leak, dirty throttle plate, dirty IAC passage, or contaminants on the MAF sensor. Air filter may contribute but not as much as the others. Battery voltage / alternator voltage output may also cause issues at idle. The least expected but probable is rodent damage. Usually after I let any car sit for a length of time, I first inspect the air filter (typical nesting place for rodents in the winter time). Issues like idle speed or spark plug fouling may turn on the check engine light or issue a pending code. If you have a programmer or scan tool, check for any pending codes. More than likely it is either a dirty MAF, IAC valve or faulty PCV. Also, I think there was a code fix for idle issues with the 03's.