PDA

View Full Version : Hello...I am new, Just baught a 2003 Cobra and it has bad WHEEL HOP...plz help

SpikeMT
12-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Heya

I just sold my 2001 Cobra Convertable...I missed it so...

Two weeks later I baught a 2003 Cobra Convertable. Love the car..it is awesome and way faster than the 1999 but...

It has some nasty wheel hop. Ofcourse it is worse during 1st gear excelleration but will hop some pulling hard in second gear.

If I turn off the trac-control it is better but still there.

Any suggestions?

Specs: 2003 Convertable. No mods but cat back exhaust. 13k miles. The rear end leaks a little, nothing much but I thought I would add that. Tires have about 50%-60% tread.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Steve

blk04cobra1
12-02-2005, 08:58 AM
congrats on the purchase, unfortunately you are experiencing the downfall of the '03-'04 cobra's. First off, take it to your local dealer and have them fix your leak in the rearend, odds are that they will cover it under warranty. Second, there really isnt a "fix" for the wheel hop, just some mods to help calm it down. I would suggest some lowering springs, IRS bushings, Subframe connectors and a good set of sticky tires...also a good IRS brace (billetflow has a good one) to cover your pumpkin, so hopefully your rearend wont crack or leak again. There are other numerous modifications you can do in the long run, but those will help out first and foremost :thumbsup: ...happy modding :bounce:

SpikeMT
12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks

I did scan down the other posts after I posted my question. There is a nice long one talking about the same things you suggested.

I live in NH, so I have a nice long winter to get the car ready for the spring :)

Thanks
Steve

Riversnake
12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Congrats on the new ride.

I first noticed the "hop" on a rainy day. Wow, does it break loose in a hurry if you aren't paying attention :D

WooHoo. let the modding begin :thumbsup:

Sniperfox
12-02-2005, 04:56 PM
You gotta take the good with the bad...and the good outweighs the bad with an 03-04 Cobra. Welcome to the club pal.:thumbsup:

tazzracing1
12-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Congrates on the new Cobra. I just traded my 97 for a 2003. I'm in the same way have all winter to work on it.:thumbsup:

ausie
12-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Congrats on your new ride Steve :thumbsup:
Just a thought on the tires and wheel hop. IT may make a difference what tires you have. Some tires will loose traction due to the tire compound becoming harder as the tire wears down. The loss of traction will result in tire spin under hard acceleration, and since there is less give due to the hardness of the rubber the occurance of wheel hop will increase. This is just something I have noticed with both my 04 and my 01 with different brands of tires. I have had some brands of tires that I ran almost completely bald and loved every mile on them, and some I just could not wait to get rid of (wheel hop and loss of cornering grip even though there was more than 60% tread life left).

Hope this helps a little bit.

MidLifeC
01-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Steve,

Congratulations on the upgrade. One very important note (you should know this already since you had an '01 Cobra): do NOT let the car wheel hop. Lift off the accelerator immediately or you will break your half shafts or differential cover.

Some inexpensive mods to help with wheel hop:
Billetflow IRS brace
Billetflow IRS brackets
Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors
more expensive mods:
stiffer shocks and springs (MM)
stickier tires
MM IRS / CA bushings
Have fun with the car!

ausie
01-01-2006, 05:59 PM
I sort of wonder if he has a bent half shaft if the problem is persistant. If the shaft is bent that would cause vibrations due to off ballance of the shaft. Perhaps one or more tie rod ends are worn in the rear. I would check the rear tie rods for excessive play. Perhaps having an alignment check on the rear would be a needed. Just some thoughts. Due to the amount of torque of the 03 motor, it will not take much to snap a shaft or damage components in the rear end. If the car was modified before you bought it, there may have been excessive stress to the rear suspension components. Inspection of the aluminum hub carriers, lower suspension arm, tie rod ends, etc... may be checked to some degree with the rear of the car off the ground. The half shafts should not be loose or have any play in them. I would also inspect the drive shaft as well along with the rear differential housing. If any of the above are worn, they should be replaced or damage to other components may result. More than likely what you are experiencing is just typical and may be corrected with different tires or changes in driving habits since it does not take much throttle to break the rear tires loose in the low gears. That was one thing I needed to learn since the 04 has a huge power gain over the 01.

kilroy
01-02-2006, 11:07 PM
~13k miles. The rear end leaks a little, nothing much but I thought I would add that.Should be a free pumpkin for your car... Call your SVT dealer to get details on the TSB & get-r-done. Congrats on the new ride. :thumbsup:

RR03Cobra
01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Welcome to the power club!! After I burned off the Goodyears, I bought a set of Nitto 555Rs for the back. The wheel hop was eliminated for a long time after I put these tires on, that is until they wore out. Then gettem replaced quickly because they will slide in the rain!! I have heard good things about the BFG KDWS. That will probably be my next set. My friend has them on a 99 charged cobra, and they hook pretty good for a street tire. The new BFG drags are supposed to be the bomb!