PDA

View Full Version : What blower to get

jsnake
12-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I know this is a very general question and there is alot to think about when you install a supercharger. I have a 98 and want another 150 to 200 hp. I allready installed a full Bissani exhaust with xpipe. I would like to hear from some of you about the pros and cons of the blowers you have installed.

03slidewayzSVT
12-04-2005, 06:57 PM
kenny bell all the way!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

jsnake
12-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Have you tried any other blowers? What psi are you running? What is the max psi you can run without a cooler? I have a 98 cobra. do I need bigger injectors or do they automaticly come with the blower? I was hoping some other people would chime in on this one.

cobrabitn
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I think you'll get good results out of most blowers as long as the boost isn't too radical.

Many club members use either Vortech, Kenne Bell, or Procharger. Most 96-98 owners that have supercharged their cars that I have seen have Vortechs on them. But again, your milage may vary! :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
12-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I'll do the best I can with this one.

If you never plan to get much over 400rwhp then go with a kenne bell. The do not make the 2.2L blowzilla for the 98 cobra so personally, I wouldn't waste my time. The unit you'd get would be a weak little 1.5L unit with no bypass valve (no provision for it) and also no provisions for an intercooler. You'd have to use methanol injecton to keep the charge temps down if you push the blower. Oh, that 400rwhp number I speak of, that's what you'll get if you have full exhaust and pulley it down. It just isn't a big enough blower to make great numbers with. This blower will give you similar numbers to a stock 2003 cobra, but you wouldn't get much more than that.

Procharger- Procharger makes a good kit. They use air to air intercoolers to keep the charge temps down. They are also "self contained" blowers. (many of them anyway) The upside of this is that you don't have to poke a hole in your oil pan during the install. The downside (I feel) is that you have to purchase the "blower oil" and change it every 6000 miles. To me, that's just another thing you've got to worry about. They set the MAF up in a "blow through" configuration which allows them to use a blow off valve. So you'll get that "whoosh" sound on shifts if your into that sorta thing. Pretty nifty if I may say. Unfortunately, I personally don't feel that their base blower is up to par. The P1sc (not p1sc-1 or p1sc-2) cannot keep up with a vortech s-trim reguardless of what you see on procharger's site. If you want a blower that will make the power you want, get the D1sc procharger with the 3 core intercooler at a minimum. This will give you room to grow over time. I personally like going with a bigger blower just to give you room to grow in the future.

Vortech- I am a vortech owner and have been very pleased with my kit. In my case (97 cobra) my kit was pretty easy to install. Much easier than my buddy's procharger kit (p600B). My kit is the aftercooled version (air to water intercooler) and it's pullied for 11psi. I have a forged motor and ported heads though. I put down 511 rwhp and I'm not spinning my blower very hard. The vortech s-trim (not sc-trim) will move enough air to touch 600rwhp. And these blowers are very reliable (don't blow seals too often etc). You do have to poke a hole in your oil pan for the oil return line, but if you follow the directions, it's actually a pretty easy task to complete. Once that's done, you won't have to ever change your "supercharger oil". Next up, if you decide to get a little nasty, the vortech kit is easily upgraded to accept an 8-rib belt drive setup to reduce beltslip.

Paxton- This is one mean blower setup here. You'll have a hard time ever growing out of a Novi 2000! This baby can move some serious air. I've never installed a paxton setup before on a modular motor, but I have done a 5.0. The kit was very nice and as far as I know, the owner has not had a single problem with his kit. I know that this doesn't help much if you're interested in a paxton, so I apologize.

If I were you, this is what I'd do:

If you want 400rwhp:
1. Vortech S-trim (or SC trim) with no aftercooler
2. Procharger P1sc (intercooled)
(a stock cobra with the base kits will make 400-435 with the supplied tune more often than not, add a few ponies for the full exhaust you already have)

If you want 450rwhp:
1. Vortech SC-trim
2. Paxton Novi 1000
3. Procharger P1sc 3-core intercooler
(no problems with any of these)

If you want 500rwhp:
1. Vortech s-trim
2. Procharger D1sc 3-core intercooler
3. Vortech t-trim
(no problem for any of them)

If you want 550rwhp:
1. Vortech T-trim
2. Procharger D1sc 3 core intercooler
3. Vortech S-trim (aftercooled and spin it with 3.1 pulley)
(the t-trim and D1sc will get this easy, the s-trim will work a little harder for it)

If you want 600rwhp:
1. Paxton NOVI 2000
2. Procharger F1a
3. Vortech T-trim
(any of these blowers can make this happen without blinkin an eye)

If you want 650rwhp:
1. Paxton NOVI 2000
2. Procharger F1a
3. Vortech JT-trim
4. Vortech T-trim
5. Procharger D1sc
(easy for any of them)

Basically, the last set of blowers I listed are just getting happy at the 600+ rwhp range. The first 3 of the bottom list will carry you into the 750-800 easily if you had the motor to support it, and could still pump out more.

smashedheadcat
12-14-2005, 10:43 AM
One more thing, try to keep the stock shortblock around 450rwhp if you like to thump on it. Keep it conservative in the tune and stay off the rev limiter, she should last awhile. Sooner or later, the engine will blow.

jsnake
12-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the info. You gave me alot to think about. What you are telling me is just what I was looking for. I'll let everybody know what I decided on.:thumbsup:

Thanks again

redsnake99
12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
My 99 has the Vortech blower, installed 5 years ago and more than 100,000 miles ago. I still run the 8 lb of boost and the original program from that install on my Autologic chip. Car now has 141,000 miles on it and engine runs like brand new. Still using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, like I have all along.

Just don't let the extra power make you enter turn 10 at VIR too fast or you'll broadside the tire wall. $7300 check on its way to me from Nationwide. Now, if they don't cancel me from the insurance policy, all will be well again. Practically new car, ready for sell or trade come next June.

:thumbsup: