PDA

View Full Version : Best tires for my '03?

SpikeMT
12-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I am looking for the best tires for hooking up, trying to eliminate some of the "hop".

I get tires at cost so price isnt too much of a factor but I know the most expensive arent usually the best either.

I am not driving the car till spring but I want the best tire for all around driving and that will great dry pavement traction

Thanks
Steve

blk04cobra1
12-04-2005, 09:09 PM
The best tire, without a doubt is the Mickey Thompson drag radial...however it will provide no traction in the rain...I think most will agree that the BFG KDW is a good all around tire, all though I have heard some horror stories in the rain with these as well...Ive got the KDW2's and they hold up pretty well in the dry and have heard they do very well in the rain (mine doesnt see rain, so i wouldnt know) Ive also got the BFG drag radials on my second set of rims, which also do very well in the dry pavement.

InfamousSVT
12-15-2005, 01:26 AM
For straight up dry conditions only------------Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials ; BFG Drag Radials ; Nitto Radials

For a daily driver ------------- BFG KDW 2 ; Goodyear DS G3

No matter which tires you go with you won't completely get rid of the hop.

The only solution that I have found to get rid of the hop entirely is the good ole stick axle :D

With drag radials you can get rid of the hop at the strip by staying in the burn-out box and really heating them up. But on the street (depending on power level) you will still have the hop.
I suggest getting the radials and keeping the tire pressure low (around 30ish) for street driving, and that will help out.

FearTheSnake
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Noticed they make a Cobra size now. Believe they're mainly for the Tuner Mkt. but look pretty decent.

If so, how do they compare to the BFG for street driving?

tazzracing1
12-16-2005, 11:15 PM
I know of a few people who have tried the fuzion and were relly happy with it on the street and the track.

FearTheSnake
12-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Noticed your from Paw-Paw Mich? New one on me, interesting town name.

I believe I'll try the fuzion pretty soon, for $140 a piece the price seems pretty reasonable.

smashedheadcat
12-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I like the nitto 315/35 drag radial. It isn't god's gift to tires by any means but they do stick pretty well in dry conditions and they do last the longest out of any drag radial I've ever had.

ausie
12-18-2005, 01:04 PM
So far I have been hooked on Toyo Proxes. Started off with the T1-S on all 4's but now have the T1-R's in the rear. Great gip for the street on dry or in the rain. The T1-R has a stiffer side wall than the T1-S. Not bad at the track either. 12.5 in the quarter on a properly prepped track on a test-n-tune event but typically in the upper 12's to low 13's on the street legal events with a wet launch pad. Just a quick clean up on the tire is all that is needed. I am sure I would do much better with drag radials on the track but for every day use the Toyo's are a great tire.

Fuzions are made by Bridgestone. If it has the Unit-T logo it is a Bridgestone product. If they are similar to the Potenza Pole position S-02 or S-03 they should be a good tire. Bridgesonte S-03 work best when pushed to the limit but tend to wanter a bit at slow speeds (below 40mph). I believe the Fuzions have a different tread pattern which may reduce the slow speed tracking issues I had with the S-03's .

lorahcobra
12-26-2005, 04:05 PM
For dry running only, we have the BFG KD's...and added MM's urethane IRS bushings. NO WHEEL HOP...EVER! :thumbsup:

tazzracing1
12-27-2005, 10:14 PM
If I remember right it was named by the indians for the two river branchs that come together. Michigan has some interesting names for cities.

Riversnake
12-30-2005, 02:40 PM
I like the nitto 315/35 drag radial. It isn't god's gift to tires by any means but they do stick pretty well in dry conditions and they do last the longest out of any drag radial I've ever had.I too have the Nitto 555DRs on mine. Good dry, decent in wet driving until they get worn good, pretty crappy in the cold though. Slid half sideways pulling out of my driveway one frosty morning. BTW its only 25 feet from my driveway to the stop sign so it wasnt from hitting the go pedal.

Cobra4me
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
How bout the BFG kdw-2

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Robk17th/122906.jpg

svtmc-g
12-31-2005, 03:04 AM
I don't have an 03=04...but I have fuzion's. I'm happy with them(I don't have the blown power though. They're a great tire for the cash. They wear GREAT! just my .02

beerkat
12-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I really like my NT555 street tires. They are good on the street and road courses. Run well in the wet. I do not drag race so I do not get the same wheel hop that you do.:thumbsup:

ausie
12-31-2005, 01:45 PM
Those BFG-kdw-2 looke like some nice aggressive tread there. That was always something I liked about them. Just the tread pattern itself will get great comments at car shows. That is usually one of the things I look at when the participants in the show get to be the judges. What is your opinion of the tire since it is on your vehicle? I may be interested in getting them next time around.

How do they handle? from low speed to high speed, on tight turns do they break early or girp the road like glue. I can live with noisy tires as long as they hold up to the type of punishment the Cobra will give them. I am not too concerned how they would hold up at the drag strip, I am more interested in the daily driver use.

ausie
12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Dang, those rims look sweet. I would definately keep them for sure.

Cobra4me
12-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Those BFG-kdw-2 looke like some nice aggressive tread there. That was always something I liked about them. Just the tread pattern itself will get great comments at car shows. That is usually one of the things I look at when the participants in the show get to be the judges. What is your opinion of the tire since it is on your vehicle? I may be interested in getting them next time around.

How do they handle? from low speed to high speed, on tight turns do they break early or girp the road like glue. I can live with noisy tires as long as they hold up to the type of punishment the Cobra will give them. I am not too concerned how they would hold up at the drag strip, I am more interested in the daily driver use. I like the new tires alot, Haven't had them on the car but 300 miles and cant really evaluate them to answer your questions. I will tell you they are not noisy and take the curves well. Another thought or comment when I had the tires mounted initially the installer put 40lb pressure in them and I rode them at that pressure until yesterday when I gauged the tires I lowered the pressure to 35 and that certainly helped the ride. I think maybe others have used these on the site like Torrey blk04cobra1 he may can answer your questions since I don't have enough experience with the tires to commment

blk04cobra1
12-31-2005, 07:51 PM
yeah, 35lbs is good for the street...they hooked pretty well when I had the F1-A on, spun at the top of first and through second, but all in all a good tire for the price :thumbsup: