PDA

View Full Version : Chip Problem figured out

tazzracing1
12-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I contacted Paul's high performance today. I talked to Paul about the issue with the chip and as I was figuring when the dealership removed the chip they fried it by not removing the neg. cable. I can order a new chip from Paul's for $385.00. I have always heard good things about them. I was wondering if anyone else knows a place that I can order a chip for a good price with a custom tune??
Thanks for the help.
Larry

Rodo
12-05-2005, 04:50 PM
I contacted Paul's high performance today. I talked to Paul about the issue with the chip and as I was figuring when the dealership removed the chip they fried it by not removing the neg. cable. I can order a new chip from Paul's for $385.00. I have always heard good things about them. I was wondering if anyone else knows a place that I can order a chip for a good price with a custom tune??
Thanks for the help.
Larry
I really don't think removing the chip with the battery still hooked up will hurt a chip. If they removed the chip with the key on, it would fry the chip.

ausie
12-08-2005, 06:59 AM
It will be difficult to fry the ECU due to all of the filters and robust circuitry designed into it. Electrical systems in automobiles are usually the worst environments for electronics due to the high voltage spikes from the ignition system. However, if the battery is still connected, the will remain powered. Removing micro processors while it is still powered may cause issues. Mostly what destroys or damages the unit is ESD (electro static discharge) which occurs when you remove it from the car, the overall charge potential may increase which will destroy just about any sensitive electronic component. Improper removal will fry it (battery connected or not) unless the vehicle's charge is dissipated.

Rodo
12-08-2005, 08:26 AM
It will be difficult to fry the ECU due to all of the filters and robust circuitry designed into it. Electrical systems in automobiles are usually the worst environments for electronics due to the high voltage spikes from the ignition system. However, if the battery is still connected, the will remain powered. Removing micro processors while it is still powered may cause issues. Mostly what destroys or damages the unit is ESD (electro static discharge) which occurs when you remove it from the car, the overall charge potential may increase which will destroy just about any sensitive electronic component. Improper removal will fry it (battery connected or not) unless the vehicle's charge is dissipated.
I did not know he was referring to the ECU. I thought he meant "chip", as in an aftermarket chip with a custom program.

InfamousSVT
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I suggest using a tuner close by that you can have the car up on a dyno when they are tuning it. Mail-order tunes don't always work out that great. But if you can find a tuner that will work with you and get it where you want it, then I would do that.
Also depends on what kind of tuner you want to go with (chip, flasher, etc..)

RWTD...........Diablo and recently started using SCT
Amazon Racing ...............SCT, Diablo, just about anything
Mile High Dyno................Diablo

Which ever way you go, go with a reputable tuner that is known and do your homework. :thumbsup:

ausie
12-09-2005, 05:50 AM
If he is referring to the microprocessor that controls the engine it is the ECU, that metal box hidden behind the kick plate on the passenger side under the glove box. If the ECU or chip is fine you can re-flash a new program into it with a tuner or there are other ECU's that have been rebuilt with different microprocessors in it. There may be some benefit of aftermarket chips when compared to aftermarket tunes. If the after market chip operates at a higher speed than the factory unit the performance will be improved. It may not be as fast as the spanish oak processor in the 05 mustangs.

smashedheadcat
12-12-2005, 09:08 AM
If you need a tune then I would recommend you go here: www.fordcustomtuning.com This site is owned by James@RWTD. He is an awesome tuner and I'm sure he can knock out a mail order tune the first try. He uses SCT and Diablo. I would recommend the SCT program with the XCAL 2 handheld programmer/datalogger. I believe that James still gives you "lifetime tunes" meaning he will work with you to make sure you are 100% happy with your tune no matter how long it takes.