PDA

View Full Version : Broken Super Charger Belt

spitfire
12-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Well it finally happened today, I was accelerating in second, up around 5500rpm and that's about when the belt broke with a load Bang! It sounded like a piston went right through the hood. And then all I heard was the supercharger whine Like I never heard it before! I turned off the ignition and coasted to the side of the road. Thinking I threw a rod, I checked and found only that the supercharger belt had broken. So I drove it home, slowly because I knew I was driving on the battery only. :eek:

Well the engine appears to be OK, and the pulley all seem free. The broken belt did take out the one of the AC hoses, literally ripped it in half! :eek:

But at least no major damage! And my heart can slow down now! :D

It's just funny that this weekend people were asking me about the cog pulley system, and that allot of people have had problems with loosing their belts, I guess it was Inevitable! :cool:

Oh SBC COBRA, I guess with all this excitment I forgot to call you, I will check those wheels later! :doubt:

97CasperCobra
12-12-2005, 11:02 AM
sorry to hear Chuck....if it's not one thing, it's another. :(

I've decided we need to get together to do a photoshoot of your car....we need to get the "Featured Stangs" section going again. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
12-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Chuck ... Why are you running a cogged(toothed) belt and pulley set up???
Belt life on those is really bad... and it isn't needed until nearly 20 pounds of boost ... and even then most guys just run --> http://www.billetflow.com/supercharger_pulleys.htm

I recommend these HIGHLY!!!
I would also suggest that you get their idlers---> http://www.billetflow.com/IdlerBracket.htm

Call and ask for Doug... tell him Jimmysidecarr sent ya!! :thumbsup:

Jimmy

spitfire
12-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Belt life on those is really bad... and it isn't needed until nearly 20 pounds of boost ...

Jimmy, they sound great, and it increased my torque tremendously, my horse power only went up 10Rwhp, but the torque jumped up almost 80Rwtrq.

Oh, and did I mention they sound great! :D I talked to RPM Outlet today, they did not mention that this is a normal occurance. I did tell them that I couldn't have more than 3,000 miles on this belt. they gave me a big discount on the replacement belt. But I also have to go to the dealer and get the replacement A/C Hose.

AirForce1
12-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Belt life on those is really bad... and it isn't needed until nearly 20 pounds of boost ... and even then most guys just run --> http://www.billetflow.com/supercharger_pulleys.htm

I recommend these HIGHLY!!!
I would also suggest that you get their idlers---> http://www.billetflow.com/IdlerBracket.htm

Call and ask for Doug... tell him Jimmysidecarr sent ya!! :thumbsup:

Jimmy
I have the same billetflow pulleys chuck and they work great. and the belt does not slip. I would recomend billetflow as well. :thumbsup:

sbc.cobra
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
chuck,

first off, glad to hear it was only the belt.

i am running the billetflow setup as well...i have many post about the cog setup and the guys that have it are running into all sorts of problems (broken belts, etc.). a few of the well respected/knowledgable guys on svtperformance seem to agree that a little belt slip is ok and keeps a lot of the strain off of the blower snout and other associated parts.

no problem about the wheels, they aren't going anywhere. just let me know when you want to check them out.

jimmysidecarr
12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Jimmy, they sound great, and it increased my torque tremendously, my horse power only went up 10Rwhp, but the torque jumped up almost 80Rwtrq.

Oh, and did I mention they sound great! :D I talked to RPM Outlet today, they did not mention that this is a normal occurance. I did tell them that I couldn't have more than 3,000 miles on this belt. they gave me a big discount on the replacement belt. But I also have to go to the dealer and get the replacement A/C Hose.

SOUND???
Given the parts attrition rate... Do you still feel the sound is worth it???
I assure you the Billetflows with idlers will make just as much power ... LOOK GREAT... and the belt will live a good long time...

I have heard over and over that the cogged belts are a maintenance nightmare!!!

kencobra
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Chuck, you should keep an extra belt in the trunk along with a wrench for the tensioner. This is what I do and feel much more at ease running around with the car. Hope things work out !

msmap
12-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Chuck, you should keep an extra belt in the trunk along with a wrench for the tensioner. This is what I do and feel much more at ease running around with the car. Hope things work out !

most deffinitely you should. most people learned that lesson thru coleman on one of our austin cruises. he was stuck out in bfe till one the right length was found!

spitfire
12-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Update

I have recieved the belt from RPM Outlet that costed $65.00 plus shipping. Got the original number and found a local dealer, will supply for $45.00, already ordered a spare one. :bounce: :thumbsup: :D

spitfire
12-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Another update!

Well, I replaced the AC hose and Cog pulley belt last night. But after closer investigation with the car in the air, I have discovered the fault. When the Painters, (Again Phat Kat Customs Screw Up), re-installed the radiator, they put the intercooler hoses on the wrong side of the AC hose, forcing it into the Crank pulley. This forced it to rub on the pulley till it eventually cut a hole and sprayed AC oil all over the Cog pulley belt, which I believe caused it to fail. I believe that the oil weakened the belt, and that with high torque, IE 5500 RPM, the belt tried to jump teeth because of the slippery condition, causing extra stress on an already contaminated belt.

I had a friend of mine that has an 03 come by the house to verify the position of the hoses, and also made some brackets that Slaterís had left off when they installed the cog pulley system.

So proof again, if you want something done nice and tidy, you have to do it yourself! I just whish I knew how to paint! Maybe that should be next in the learning curve!

kencobra
12-17-2005, 11:51 AM
So proof again, if you want something done nice and tidy, you have to do it yourself! I just whish I knew how to paint! Maybe that should be next in the learning curve!

Amen !

spitfire
12-18-2005, 03:48 PM
OK, hopefully last update. Well, I have discovered another F__k up done by the infamous (Phat Kat Loosers). My engine was still running hotter than I remimbered it ever running. And With the help of Aussie on line, I discovered that the antifreeze was not circulating through the radiator. So I dumped all the antifreeze and pulled the Thermostat, and OH my God, :eek: :eek: :eek: , there was a thermostat for a regular mustang GT, not the Cobra thermostat. No wonder the fluid was not running through the radiator! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: So had to push the car back in the garage and Monday will go to the dealer and get the original thermostat! :mad: :mad: :mad:

kilroy
12-18-2005, 04:15 PM
~ and the belt does not slip. As designed by Jimmy Reichard :cool: With added pressures on my blower belt, I've relegated myself changing it yearly. 3k miles is nuts... Sorry to hear your misfortune. Glad to hear you're back up & running after the t-stat.