PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

ID3Racing
12-15-2005, 11:45 AM
My friend has a 2001 Cobra and is looking to suercharge it, but still maintain SVT parts. is it possible to put the 03 supercharger setup on an 01 engine? is so, other thatplumbing oil lines and all that good stuff, what else would need to be done? like ECU?

sssvtcobra
12-15-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't know all the ins and outs, but I do know that he will be looking at alot of hard work and alot of $$$ to do the swap. That is just from what I have gathered here in the club. Plus I used to have an '01 and I wanted to do the swap. So I talked to a reputable shop in WA, and they told me the same thing that everbody here told me, buy a '03 or an '04. You need fuel pumps, fuel rails, injectors, wiring harness, intercooler, H.E., comuter, the list goes on.

Just my 0.02

Bartman01
12-15-2005, 09:51 PM
My friend has a 2001 Cobra and is looking to supercharge it, but still maintain SVT parts. is it possible to put the 03 supercharger setup on an 01 engine? is so, other that plumbing oil lines and all that good stuff, what else would need to be done? like ECU?

It would be cheaper (and easier) to just buy an 03/04. Or if he really wants an aluminum block, get a 99/01 and add a built motor. BTW - from what I understand, Ford did their own casting for the 01 blocks and it is not as good a platform as the previous Italian blocks.

ausie
12-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I have been down that road too. Wanted to upgrade my 01. Then I realized the other options that come with the 03/04 (6 speed, 3.55:1 rear gear, Bilstein shocks/struts, lower stance, not to mention that all of the goodies are already in place like gas tank, supercharger, intercooler, stronger block, new cam profiles, higher flow heads (almost better than the cobra 2000R). In the short or long run, it would be less expensive to trade up for an 03/04 than to upgrade an 01.

dewone
12-16-2005, 09:06 AM
He can get a centrifical supercharger. Those kits come ready to bolt on with instrustions. In fact you can visit their web sites and checkout the instructions prior to purchasing, to see if it is something you can handle. Paxton, Vortech, Pro charger....... List goe's on.

ID3Racing
12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
im sure he can handle the extra power, considering i used to drive a 700+ hp supra (R.I.P) and i let him learn stick on it.

Whats everyones opinion on Twin Turbo setups here? i know here in socal the racing scene seriously frowns on it.

ausie
12-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I had thought about the centrifugals, that would be one way to keep the intake plenum ( I liked the snake on the top). The only issue I have with boosting an 01 is can the motor handle it?

smashedheadcat
12-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I have just about everything you need to do this swap. I went turbo I removed just about everything that's '03 cobra related enginewise. I have no use for it. I'll be looking to sell everything sometime in January. What I don't have though, is the front accessory bracket and alternator. I'm using these pieces on my setup currently.

I do have these parts though:

stock eaton blower with stock pulley
'03 cobra lower intake
'03 cobra intercooler (fits under the blower)
2 brass tubes for intercooler
intercooler pump
intercooler reservoir
intercooler lines
fuel rails
39lb fuel injectors
stock front heatexhanger w/brackets
boost dump solenoid and valve
throttle cable with bracket
throttle body with inlet
IAC valve
'03 cobra headers
egr valve and lines
'03 cobra inlet (to throttle body)
stock maf with 10'' K&N filter

And some other stuff as well. I would be looking to sell all this in January sometime for $2Kish