PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Squeal

SuperG
12-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I am getting a very loud squeal from what the mechanic said is not the belt, but the Vortech itself. It sounds like a very loud, squeaky serpentine belt. I really find it hard to believe it's the supercharger making this hideous sound, as I have heard many SC types and they weren't like this...

Does anyone have any experience with this? Could it be a bad bearing (SC is not even 4000 miles old) or bad lubrication?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

dewone
12-21-2005, 05:46 AM
I change the sc belts on the Z28 consantlly. (Paxton) The harder you drive the faster it wears. Make sure there is no play or diflection in the belt.

SuperG
12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
For some reason, the mechanic was sure it wasn't the belt. And it's hard to tell with so much stuff in the way! But I will take a closer look...

SNAKEYE
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
For some reason, the mechanic was sure it wasn't the belt. And it's hard to tell with so much stuff in the way! But I will take a closer look...
Vortechs are notoriously noisey. At idle the blower itself sounds like its bearings are shot and it's about to grenade! The trick is to know the normal noise so that when it gets noisier you know there's a problem. Mine started sounding different with about 20K miles on the clock. It took new bearings and an impeller!
But first, take the tension off of the serpentine belt and check the Vortech-supplied idler pulley. If you see a brown powder-like stain behind it on the engine, and you can wobble it around with your fingers, it's shot. Check the manual and order one from Vortech.
Then be prepared to teardown just about everything involved with the Vortech just to be able to replace it! Replace the serpentine belt while you're at it. You'll understand why once you really get into it. You don't want to do this anymore than absolutely necessary! It's not a nice job.

SuperG
12-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Vortechs are notoriously noisey. At idle the blower itself sounds like its bearings are shot and it's about to grenade! The trick is to know the normal noise so that when it gets noisier you know there's a problem. Mine started sounding different with about 20K miles on the clock. It took new bearings and an impeller!
But first, take the tension off of the serpentine belt and check the Vortech-supplied idler pulley. If you see a brown powder-like stain behind it on the engine, and you can wobble it around with your fingers, it's shot. Check the manual and order one from Vortech.
Then be prepared to teardown just about everything involved with the Vortech just to be able to replace it! Replace the serpentine belt while you're at it. You'll understand why once you really get into it. You don't want to do this anymore than absolutely necessary! It's not a nice job.
You just described the sound to a "T"! But I'll definitely look for that powder, anyway...thanks for the help!