PDA

View Full Version : car missing?

svtmc-g
12-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey fella's. I work with a guy at my new job. He has a VERT sweet Procharged 87 hatch GT with Saleen suspension, GT40 heads, 93 Cobra intake, blower cam and ALOT of stuff I know nothing about.

ANYWAY...we were outside after work and he was liking my Cobra alot. I had it running to warm up before the drive home. We went for a spin...got back...and while listening to my car idle...he said it has a slight miss? WTF? How do I fix that? I'm guessing having it tuned....but I really wanted to wait till my 4.10's, and long tubes were in the car before I did a tune. What should I do? Will waiting hurt my car? help if you can and thanks In advance:-)
Mc-G

tcrews
12-25-2005, 09:58 AM
He said it had a slight miss so that means it does?

Maybe he's not familiar with the sound of 4 cams idling vs. his single cam idle ?

Get your modifications done then when having it tuned they'll tell you if you have a miss or not. If you do it could be as simple as a bad spark plug. Or....it could be nothing at all and your co-worker doesn't have a clue.

Big Daddy
12-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Ditto what Tom said. I'll also bet it's Tom's last statement that is the most likely. ;) :D

ausie
12-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I will agree with what everybody said. However, if it is a slight miss-fire at idle when warm it may be related to spark gap. My guess for the drop in sound is the IAC doing its job since it opens and closes to maintain idle speed and that is probably when you are hearing which translates into a pressure drop in the exhaust. Like eveyone else said, a tune would detect a bad spark or mis-firing injector. If the injector is failing to fire properly you would be staring at a check engine light on the dash for sure.

svtmc-g
12-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey, thanks gents. As always you're the coolest man. I will see when I have a tune done after mods...I'll be replacing spark plugs anyway. He owns 2 87 gt's and admits he doesn't know 4.6's well. But I fugured a miss sounds like a miss. My car runs really great and idles like any other 4.6 4v to me. Thanks again!
Matt

dewone
12-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Miss fire would give you a P0301 through P0308 If the CEL isn't on and giving you that code. No problem.