PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel/clock replacement question

6banger
12-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi, I recently recieved a FR500 steering wheel to put on my '94 cobra. what's involved in putting it on? I've done many steering wheel swaps on pre-air bag GM cars back in the day, but not on a car like this with the airbag and cruise control knobs. Will I need a puller to get the old wheel off and what about swapping over the cruise control knobs?? Also, I plan on removing my stock clock on the dash and replacing it with a two-gauge pod. How does the old clock come off the dash??? Thanks for all your help.......Kip

93KingCobra
12-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Man I wish I could help but never done that before but I'm sure someone on here might...

PMad
12-26-2005, 01:48 AM
The steering wheel is pretty easy.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the airbag by taking off the two small plastic covers on the back of the wheel to access the fastners.
3. Once the airbag is off removal of the cruise controls is obvious.
4.You will need a puller to remove the wheel after you take of the nut that holds it on. Be careful to use the right bolts with the puller. I managed to strip the holes in the stock wheel by rushing.

If you've done other steering wheels this will all look pretty familar. If you want some pictures to go by pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual at a local parts store.

Hazman
12-26-2005, 07:10 AM
The steering wheel is pretty easy.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the airbag by taking off the two small plastic covers on the back of the wheel to access the fastners.
3. Once the airbag is off removal of the cruise controls is obvious.
4.You will need a puller to remove the wheel after you take of the nut that holds it on. Be careful to use the right bolts with the puller. I managed to strip the holes in the stock wheel by rushing.

If you've done other steering wheels this will all look pretty familar. If you want some pictures to go by pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual at a local parts store.

What Pat said!!

I also had a problem with one of the holes stripping even though I was very careful. I had to drill and re-tap. NAPA, Autozone and others have loan-a-tool programs where you can get steering wheel removal kits.

You are going to love the feel of the new wheel!! :thumbsup:

cobrapace94
12-26-2005, 10:42 AM
What they said on the steering wheel.
On the dash clock, it just pops up. That simple.

6banger
12-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks alot for the info, I knew you guys would be able to help!!!!! I'll let you know how it goes.......................Thanks again....Kip