PDA

View Full Version : Porting and Polish the intakes?

dhayden
12-31-2005, 10:08 AM
I got a 97' Vert. Was about to undertake porting and polishing the intake. I feel pretty comfortable about doing that although I realize that there is not a HUGE amount to be gained, but hey it won't cost me much at all and its just time spent. The heads on the other hand might prove worth while. I am a little nervous about removing the heads as I have never done so. Is it necc.? Are the head/gasket/imrc pretty wellmatched up? If thers is much to be gained any unseen challenges? There is a lot to read upon on the web on the "how to's" and going about it etc... I just hate to screw up my baby. Nothing has ben done to the motor yet, only have SLP s-pipe and cat-back. I do miss the lack of down low torque these things are inherent of.

Any suggestions or experience is very welcome.

ausie
01-03-2006, 07:21 AM
The only thing about the intake would be to blueprint or match the intake runners of the plenum to the intake port of the heads. It would be best to remove the heads than to grind into them while they are still mounted on the motor. It all depends on the casting and how close the water cavity is to the intake port. Where to cut is the problem. Typically the mismatch is in the head casting and not the intake. Not quite sure how much meat is on the intake plenum compared to the heads. If you are just going to clean up the inner surface of the intake plenum it probably is not necessary to remove the heads as long as you do not plan on removing any metal off the head ports.

If you want low end torque, the only way to improve that would be to add a roots or twin screw supercharger. I do know that FRPP has a variable geometry intake plenum which is supposed to increase the torque at the lower RPM. I think they also have a small supercharger that occupies the lower portion of the intake plenum for the same kit. The only thing that is lacking is the intercooler. The kit uses an Eaton M90 (1.5L) supercharger. Not sure it it would fit the 97 though since it was more or less designed for the 2v motor (intake portion of it that is). Saleen also has a kit which is similar but I think they moved from the M90 to the Whipple charger in the 1.7L-1.8L range. Not quite the 2.3L size but without having an intercooler you probably do not want that much volume. Either way you go, just do your homework and I am sure you will find something.

dhayden
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey Thanks for the reply. Ive been trying to find out how to save my pennies for a kenne bell :) . Sounds like the porting of the intake would probably not be worth my time. For Time being I might put an acufab on and was debating on the boost a spark by Kenne Bell. Again long term if I am going to put a KB on. I should probably forgo most stuff untill i do that as it might change things :)

ausie
01-04-2006, 08:11 AM
I keep forgetting that the pre 99's have a different intake plenum. There may be some gains in porting the intake than it would be to do the same on the 99 and 01's. My bad. :( . I do recall that the 97's have individual ports on the heads where as the 99/01 had a single port that feeds both valves. Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut and leave it at that.

dhayden
01-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey no worries. Thanks for the help.