PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Gt500

Admiral
01-08-2006, 11:42 AM
And the drooling continues:

http://www.stangnet.com/2005-Mustang/2007-shelby-gt500-182006.html

Too heavy? Yes. Too pricey? I'm sure it will be. But I still want one lol.

Firme
01-08-2006, 05:20 PM
The politics and bean counters over at Ford are really starting to :mad: me off, but I still think its a Bad A$$ car.

Grey Storm
01-08-2006, 06:13 PM
I guess I am going to have to be the odd man "woman" out. I still do not like the new Mustangs:( :( I am going to stick with my '03 and mod the hell out of it:)

msmap
01-08-2006, 09:25 PM
:stupid: I cannot stand the new body style, it is just too big. Reminds me of the 71 - 73 big boats that they called mustangs.

Steeda Snakes
01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Of the 71-73 "Land Yachts", I wouldn't mind having a Boss 351.

As far as the Shelby GT500, as Storm said, I don't believe we will be buying one anytime soon. I think they are fat and ugly as well. We will probably add another 03/04 snake or Saleen (S351 or Extreme).

I hope the next body panel change comes very quickly!:eek:

97CasperCobra
01-09-2006, 12:58 AM
We will probably add another 03/04 snake or Saleen (S351 or Extreme).

They stopped making the S351 waaay back when b/c of the strict emission testing that we have now. The highest line of Saleens is the S281 Extreme with Saleen's blower. Personally....I'd get a Cobra and have Saleen/Steeda/Roush package or just get a stock 04 Cobra and put a full Maxium Motorsports package on it....cheaper that way. :thumbsup:

Steeda Snakes
01-09-2006, 01:19 AM
They stopped making the S351 waaay back when b/c of the strict emission testing that we have now. The highest line of Saleens is the S281 Extreme with Saleen's blower..................I know that! Who do you think you are talking to........... An amatuer!!!:D :D :D

1999 was the last year for the S351, I believe they made 50. and yes, stricter emissions were the death of our beloved Ford push-rod powerplants. 2002 was the first year for the S281 Extreme. It was built to replace the S351 model. As far as HP numbers, it fell a little short. Extreme =425 to 445HP (in later models), the S351 was rated at a conservative 495HP.

I guess I could have been a little clearer in my previous post. A '99 S351, a '02 -'04 S281 Extreme or another '03/'04 Cobra.:thumbsup:

I have been speaking with an individual that owns a 2003 Saleen S281 Cobra, but we are going to have to sell the two we have for sale.

cobltng
01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Never one to follow the majority, but this time I must agree, I just cannot get turned on with the 05 -07 models. As Sherrie said to big/heavy/ barge looking "Things". Our lightning, 01 Cobra, and 92 Gt( 435 rwhp ) will do just fine for some time to come. If anythig is added it would likely be an 04 Cobra
Also from what we have all seen is that the pricing on the 07 GT500 is going to be obsenely high. No sleep lost here

John Chingasos
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I think the new cobras look sweet but I am not going to break the bank to get one and go massively into debt when I am close to a debt free lifestyle :D :D :D . Although I wouldnt mind selling the mach 1 to get a bone stock terminator which will be available when the new cobras come out. I also wouldnt mind the S-351 Saleen in the S-95 body style

97CasperCobra
01-09-2006, 11:40 AM
I think the new cobras look sweet but I am not going to break the bank to get one and go massively into debt when I am close to a debt free lifestyle :D :D :D . Although I wouldnt mind selling the mach 1 to get a bone stock terminator which will be available when the new cobras come out. I also wouldnt mind the S-351 Saleen in the S-95 body style

I agree....I'm sure the mark-up on the Shelby's will be astronomical!!! While a SN-95 351 Saleen would be nice...the value of those are most likely through the roof as well given the low run and sheer "grunt" power they make. I like the new body style and what can be done with it in the aftermarket accessories. With the Shelby making a near 500rwhp from the factory it'll be nice to see what numbers it can be produce with minor mods.

I'll stick to my N/A '97 Cobra and see what I can do with her for now... :D

cobrapace94
01-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I like the way "some" of the 05 Mustangs look, but not all. I would really really like to own a new Shelby, any year Shelby for that matter.. Probly won't be able to afford one, any Shelby for that matter.

A 71 Boss 351 "land Yachts" was one of the fastest Mustang to date in 71.

msmap
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I think the new cobras look sweet...

What new cobras? They aren't going to be called cobras, so technically there aren't any new cobras :p

97CasperCobra
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
What new cobras? They aren't going to be called cobras, so technically there aren't any new cobras :p

Should we refer to them as the Shelby "Big Boats"??? :p

They have parts from SVT(engine says Powered by SVT) and Cobra badging..... :dunno:

ORANGE CRUSH
01-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Should we refer to them as the Shelby "Big Boats"??? :p

They have parts from SVT(engine says Powered by SVT) and Cobra badging..... :dunno:

That sounds like a Cobra to me.......

Sherry when the Shelbys come out they will make your 01 even more worthless than it already is.....:D

msmap
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
That sounds like a Cobra to me.......

Sherry when the Shelbys come out they will make your 01 even more worthless than it already is.....:D

KMA, your 03, also, buddy!!!!

so, if it sounds like a cobra, then why isn't it called a cobra, huh? why do they want to call it a shelby, huh? maybe because they are similar to but not quite the same as a cobra! Used to be that cobras were rare breeds, were something special but that seems to be disappearing.

97CasperCobra
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
KMA, your 03, also, buddy!!!!

so, if it sounds like a cobra, then why isn't it called a cobra, huh?

B/c Carroll Shelby has deep pockets and I'm sure Ford wanted to give him something before he makes the trip to the open track in the sky..... :(

I don't like it either.....but it's still a Cobra. :thumbsup:

cobrapace94
01-09-2006, 07:03 PM
According to this thread, it is no longer called a "COBRA", Here (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10740) which refers to this Article (http://thegt500source.com/2005/articles/shelbyincobraout05nov.html)

Just because it says powered by SVT does not make it a Cobra? SVT made other vehicles also, Focus, Lightning & Countour. The Mach I has a 01 style motor with SVT parts?
My 94 does not have a SVT referance on it or when stock did not say COBRA on the rear bumper, so does that mean its not a SVT Cobra? My window sticker says "Cobra".

Guess someone needs to buy one & see what the window sticker says, any takers???? :D

Grey Storm
01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I think they should call it GT500 POS:eek: :eek: If I want a Shelby GT500 I will buy a TRUE 1967, 68 or 69 GT500, not some retro looking wanna be. And what is up with those HUGE snakes on the side. Hate it:mad:

cobrabitn
01-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Actually, you should have an SVT plaque that goes on the dash stating your Pace Car is number 591. :)

Also, your intake plenum says "Cobra" on it. :thumbsup: Take a look at the factory radiator hoses, brake booster, and serpentine belt...they all say "Cobra" on them. Just a little FYI from my totally unmolested right down to the spark plugs Indy Pace Car. :D

kencobra
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I guess that I am with the minority because I like the new ones :D

cobrapace94
01-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Actually, you should have an SVT plaque that goes on the dash stating your Pace Car is number 591. :)

Also, your intake plenum says "Cobra" on it. :thumbsup: Take a look at the factory radiator hoses, brake booster, and serpentine belt...they all say "Cobra" on them. Just a little FYI from my totally unmolested right down to the spark plugs Indy Pace Car. :D

Just a FYI, only the bottom radiator hose says "COBRA", no Cobra on the top radiator hose. And you forgot the Cobra on the valve covers. :spoke: :D
I know what my car had. :thumbsup:

Back to the topic at hand. :)

cobltng
01-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I followed up on the Stang Net article and filled in the pull down form for a local Dealer to contact me. The pull down only indicated Mustang and GT.So when a sales person contacted me late yesterday he really didn't know what I was looking for. I explained that I was looking for pricing info on the Shelby GT500, if there was a waiting list, required deposit?? etc,etc. The two dealers that my inquiry were refered to were Mack whats his name on Katy Fwy, Saleen and Roush dealer and Tomball Ford. Only Tomball Ford contacted me. The sales person told me that he had been contacted by numerous people about a deposit/waiting list and that Tomball Ford does not have such a list. He said that the Dealership would be getting one Shelby GT500 some time in late Spring. It would be their "HALO" Vehicle. It will sit in a prominent spot on the Showroom floor,roped off. It will be for sale if anyone is interested. Price; $100,000.00 dead Washington's. I don't think there is going to be a feeding frenzy but someone will pay that price.

Admiral
01-10-2006, 09:47 AM
$100K??? Jeebus, they are out of their minds. I'd buy a GT before I laid down that kind of cash on a GT500 - I don't care if it says Cobra or SVT all over it.

Totally outrageous, here's where the FORD bean counters miss the boat IMO. It needs to be an upgrade not an exclusive "only make 2000 per year" model. :mad:

msmap
01-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Tomball Ford is not an SVT dealer anymore. They gave up the rights to it a few years ago and focused on making trucks most of their inventory. I don't know how they will be able to sell this car if it is an SVT or are all the SVT dealers gone the way of the wind now :(

Levi
01-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I guess that I am with the minority because I like the new ones :D
Me too. :cool:

$100K??? Jeebus, they are out of their minds. I'd buy a GT before I laid down that kind of cash on a GT500 - I don't care if it says Cobra or SVT all over it.
Same here, I'd just get a GT and with all the after market out there you could build a Shelby looking one for thousands less. :D

ORANGE CRUSH
01-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Me too. :cool:

Same here, I'd just get a GT and with all the after market out there you could build a Shelby looking one for thousands less. :D

Yup! after market buuddy parts and a built motor..:thumbsup:

nckissfan
01-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Tomball Ford is not an SVT dealer anymore. They gave up the rights to it a few years ago and focused on making trucks most of their inventory. I don't know how they will be able to sell this car if it is an SVT or are all the SVT dealers gone the way of the wind now :(
there are no longer any authorized SVT dealers, from what I have read

97CasperCobra
01-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Price; $100,000.00 dead Washington's. I don't think there is going to be a feeding frenzy but someone will pay that price.

For that price I'll buy a Body In White(Boy Racer) with the 5.0 Cammer and a full road racing setup. :thumbsup:

Admiral
01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Uh, I meant the $150K Ford GT, lol.

Not that an 05 Mustang GT is a bad thing.............

Levi
01-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Uh, I meant the $150K Ford GT, lol.

Not that an 05 Mustang GT is a bad thing.............
:doh2:

I will be lucky just to get my house paid for in my life time. :doubt:

cobltng
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
there are no longer any authorized SVT dealers, from what I have read There are no more SVT Dealers in this area that I know of. Trucks have always been Tomball Fords main business. They do have a good service dept however.

cobrabitn
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Just a FYI, only the bottom radiator hose says "COBRA", no Cobra on the top radiator hose. And you forgot the Cobra on the valve covers. I know what my car had.

Yeah but you left out the "Tire Size and Inflation" sticker in the glove compartment that says it's a "Mustang Cobra"... :rotf:

I guess I was making the point that your Pace car and mine have "Mustang Cobra or Cobra" all over it so it is easily identifiable as a Cobra. Your Pace Car should have an SVT badge on the inside, do you still have that, just curious? I know what my car has, all I have to do is look in the garage. :)

Now, back to the topic at hand. :thumbsup:

For the record, the SVT dealers are no longer required to pay the $5,000.00 a year licensing fee. That means in reality, there are no more SVT dealers as any dealership will be able to sell the new SHELBY GT500. Exclusivity has gone out the window with Ford and Ford SVT.

From what I understand True Shelby's are the 65/66 version as the rest of them were made at the Ford factories. (1967-1970) That means they no longer carried the bodies to Shelby International for the upgrades but did them on the assembly line just like the new GT500. The sales were so slow in 1969 because of the new Mach 1 & Boss Mustangs that all of the left over unsold 1969 Shelby's were rebadged as 1970 models, Afterwards, the Shelby was dropped but the Cobra name was held and used by Ford during various years like the 1974-1979 models or more..

Is the new Shelby a Cobra? No, it's a Shelby that is engineered by Ford SVT which cannot be compared to the other Mustangs like the Mach 1 because no where does it say or show anything to do with SVT on the Mach 1.

Personally, the GT500 will have 475 hp and can easily be tuned to have over 500 rwhp with the flinch of a few bucks. I like the new body style but I fear that going retro is not the way Ford should have gone. They should have made a new, sleeker, Mustang Cobra and left Shelby a part of history. With 10,000 units scheduled to be produced this year...I doubt very seriously the dealership asking 100K for his car will get it. JMHO ;)

Codes
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I am glad a few people are finally coming to their senses. I have been saying the new GT500 (which should not be considered a Cobra) is a fat ugly pig for a while now. And now that they changed the hood, it's even uglier. And the reason there are not any more "SVT dealers" I feel is because SVT is on its way out. Just my opinion. And if I am going to pay 100k or so for a car...sign me up for the new Z06 please. Like someone said on SVTP, GT500...a 40 thousand dollar boxed lunch for a new Z06 (or something similar to that).

cobltng
01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
It has been for some time now. As someone else who replied to one of these threads, the Shelby is a Shelby not a SVT product. Exclusitivity is History for what once was SVT. The Shelby will be sold by any Ford Dealer who wants to sell one or two or hundreds. I have no plans to dump what I have because I really like my Car's and the Lightning, But will I buy a new Ford Product?? The answer is NO. The GT does nothing for me other than remind me of what UGLY really looks like. It is A Bear to tune and to lower and perform most any standard Mod. The Z06 is Strong and available for less than 100K. The new Dodge Challenger looks good also. The folks at SVT that have been lying to us supporters for over a year now must not realize the poor Market position they are puting themselves in.

cobrabitn
01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Ford's logic is "we don't need to appeal to you because we already have you loyalists as a customer so we are going to market to new buyers", hence "The Shelby is Back!" Everyone has heard of a Shelby but not too many people know what a Mustang Cobra is....

That is poor marketing on Ford's part, the people in the ivory tower refuse to listen to the front line people and either fire them, retire them, or make them wish they never worked there. Coletti...gone...Scarpello....gone....broken promises....where's the 07 Cobra they promised....poor customer relations...and then they wonder why their sales are down? :rolleyes:

Evilcartman
01-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I like the new car. I was impressed with Donnell's GT and I think I will like the Shelby, just not the price.

Levi
01-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I like the new car. I was impressed with Donnell's GT and I think I will like the Shelby, just not the price.

Same here! :)

I hope to get my charge cards paid off this year and at that point I hope to find a 03 or 04. If that does not happen then I will get a Mustang GT and install a ProCharger. Rock & Roll. :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Same here! :)

I hope to get my charge cards paid off this year and at that point I hope to find a 03 or 04. If that does not happen then I will get a Mustang GT and install a ProCharger. Rock & Roll. :thumbsup:

:nono:...the '98 needs more work... :D

Levi
01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
:nono:...the '98 needs more work... :D

I hear that. :p No sooner then I get a mod done, two more have been add to the list. :D