PDA

View Full Version : IMRC cleaning

97redcobra
01-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Just started to take apart the engine do clean the IMRC. Having trouble getting the coolant crossover pipe out, any tips??
Also anything else I should know about this job or any mods I should do while I am in there.
Thanks

tazzracing1
01-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Well you could by irmc deletion plates from www.paulshp.com (http://www.paulshp.com/) Then you wouldn't have to clean them anymore and this moves hp range up with no loss of low end power.

Firme
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Here is an SCMC write-up on IMRC cleaning, hope it helps
http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf

tcrews
01-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Well you could by irmc deletion plates from www.paulshp.com (http://www.paulshp.com/) Then you wouldn't have to clean them anymore and this moves hp range up with no loss of low end power.No it doesn't. You'd need a serious dyno-tune to even come close to not loosing power down low with deletes...and then the gains up top are not even close to the expense you just had on buying the deletes, having them installed and paying for a dyno-tune.

The gains in horsepower are next to nothing and are only in the upper rpm range. If the car is a daily driver it's best to keep the IMRC's as they do their intended job....

dewone
01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Not saying one way or the other. The site claims 30 HP with their deletes. I tend to agree that it has to loose low end though. For the price I'd clean what I have, and spend money else where.

97redcobra
01-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Got it all apart today. Found one of the cables frayed, I guess that was causing the check engine code.
I'm thinking about installing pulleys, is the gain noticeable?
What else could I do while it is apart, low cost

SNAKEYE
01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Saturate the hole area where the crossover tube plugs into the engine with WD40 to help release the crud. Then wiggle and lift the crossover tube at the top of both vertical tube sections simultaneously. When you re-install with the new O-rings spray them with a silicon lube so that they don't stick and rollover during re-insertion of the tube. Follow the bolt tightening sequences and DON'T OVERTORQUE THOSE LITTLE BOLTS!

While you have access to the firewall area behind the engine, replace the short hunk of heater hose as it is not accessible with the IMRC's and everything else inplace should it spring a leak later!

Make sure that you properly "burp" the cooling system at the plug in the crossover tube when you refill, or you'll have engine overheating problems.

When you get to starting the engine for the first time after all is back together don't be shocked if it doesn't want to run. Nurse it along (hold the idle up with your foot while seated in the car) if you have to until it gets up to operating temperature.

97redcobra
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I found the cable frayed so I called Ford and they said I have to buy the whole assembly with a list price of $277
Anyone know where I can get it cheaper??