PDA

View Full Version : 98 Cobra Rad. Hose Repla...

bluebyu
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey Everyone, I got some questions:scratch: on replacing the stock radiator hoses with CoolFlex hoses. Im guessing the best thing to do is drain the rad completely right? Cuz Im also replacing the rad expansion tank with a Canton Aluminum tank. Is this very difficult to do. I know I'll replace the fluids with Motorcraft but is there another brand better or should I stick with OEM? And does anyone know how well the CoolFlez hoses are. I would hate to pop a leak coming down to Charlotte in April and melt the aluminum heads. While Im there I guess I should pop in a new stat huh. Thanks in advance for any help.:cheers:

ausie
01-15-2006, 10:32 AM
The Canton Expansion tank is a direct drop in since you have very much the same tank that was used up to 2004. I would recommend the STANT radiator cap with the pressure release lever on it (works great). The only problem I had with the Canton tank was the 1/8 hose fitting on the water neck of the tank due to the length (attatch a hose to it and it will rub the power steering fluid resivior). That aluminum hose fitting can be removed and replaced with a brass 90 along with a short extention insert. Most of the parts can be found at a local hardware store. It is not necessary to connect anything to the fitting if you do not wish to do so but if you do decide to release the pressure any fluid at the cap level will spit out onto your motor.

As for the coolflex hose, I have seen several stangs at car shows with it along with other hot rods. I was able to talk to one of the mustang owners about the coolflex and he said it works great. It may not be necessary to change the thermostat, but if it is original you may as well do it. Also if you have not flushed the coolant system you may as well begin there before adding the other parts. A coolant flush should be done every two years to prevent coolant passages from becomming clogged since the coolant does change over time from a basic fluid to an acidic fluid. I would not change the coolant type (green) to other (yellow g5) coolant unless you perform the coolant flush first since they are not compatible even though they both use ethylene glycol but are formulated differently. Which is better? probably about the same. The most important part of the coolant system is the water used. The antifreeze only prevents freezing and raises the boiling point but it is the water that performs the heat transfer. Using tap water when doing the coolant flush is fine but only use distilled water with the final coolant fill or get the coolant pre-mixed 50/50. Hoses usually should be relpaced every 4 years or so. Not sure about the life span of the Coolflex. Don't forget to turn on the heater when flushing and final burp of the coolant system. :thumbsup:

bluebyu
01-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks,, Its kinda scary dealing with the cooling part of these cars. Im always worried about over heating and cooking the heads, It never over heats or anything, I just want to do this the right way. Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

ausie
01-16-2006, 06:10 AM
There is no need to fear the cooling system. Just be prepared to spend a few hours bleeding it properly.

ProfChaos
01-25-2006, 11:53 PM
There is no need to fear the cooling system. Just be prepared to spend a few hours bleeding it properly.

Ausie makes a good point. When a Ford dealership in FL replaced my radiator because it was leaking, as a way of eliminating the giant air bubble that formed during radiator replacement, the mechanic in question went "joy riding" until the car started to overheat, let it cool a bit, then went joy riding again. When I found this out--I saw him tearing down the street like a mad man--, I cussed-out the Service Manager (who had already cost me an extra day in town by being an idiot) and told him that unless he wanted to replace a warped cylinder head and pay for both that and my plane ticket back to Atlanta, he should have the mechanic use a vacuum pump to bleed the air bubble, like he was supposed to do in the first place. Running Lorena the Cobra to the brink of overheating several times was not an option, I insisted--quite rigorously. :D

He got the point, apologized, and with the help of a vacuum pump, the car was ready in about an hour.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos