PDA

View Full Version : 1996 T56 conversion HELP!!!!`

dmalemodel
01-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok so I have run through 5 T45's on my 96 cobra. I don't make a ton of HP, but I do run through the gears. I heard the T56 was extremely strong and I shouldn't have a problem breaking syncros or bending forks etc. I know I am not the first to put a T56 in a 96-98 cobra so I need some help.
I just bought a remand 03 Cobra T56. For those who have done the same...(not those who just bought a D&D viper conversion kit) What do I need and what should I expect?
Here is the obstacles I have ran into thus far:
1. Shorter drive shaft
2. Move holes back on cross member
3. Speedo needs to be setup for mechanical(magnetic) not electronic(gear)? (any conversion kits for this?)

Any ideas on the fastest/most efficient way to do the above?
I replaced my last T45 myself and squeezing it by my BBK longtubes was next to impossible. Any shortcuts this time?
Thanks for any help!!!

InfamousSVT
01-13-2006, 10:34 PM
You should be able to get the T-56 in there, it can go up in two pieces. You will need a shorter driveshaft like you said.
I'm not sure about a coversion kit for the speedo

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

ProfChaos
01-25-2006, 11:26 PM
The T-56 transmission listed at Mustangs Unlimited for '96-'98 4.6L specifies that it accomodates a mechanical speedo. (That seems to be the big difference between '96-'98 and '99-'04 T-56 transmissions.) In my search of the Mustangs Unlimited Web site, I see no mechanical speedo conversion kit for the T-56 transmission, but that does not necessarily mean that one does not exist.

Mondo-Expensive T-56 for '96-'98 4.6L (http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=TR1259&Category=Drivetrain&subCategory=&CatKey=74-01)

Perhaps someone else in the Forum is aware of how to deal with this issue without spending $2,533.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

smashedheadcat
01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
You need a special speedo calibrator. Dallas mustang makes one that can fix your speedo issue. I believe their website is www.dallasmustang.com Call them up and talk to them about what you are doing, I'm 99% sure they have the "fix" for this issue.