PDA

View Full Version : brake pad replacements

puzzle13
01-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey guys! I am looking at replacing the stock pads on my 03 vert prior to CMP. Any recommendations? I was looking at the Hawk pads ... ceramic or HPS Street? Any help would be appreciated.

blk04cobra1
01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
if you're still using the stock rotors, i'd go with either...the troubles some run in to is using too hard of a pad with slotted or drilled (mainly drilled) rotors b/c they tend to crack.

puzzle13
01-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I am still running stock rotors and everything else. The car just turned over 10,000 miles. Most of these are on the street and one year at CMP. I think I still have 1/2 of the stock pads, but will know better when I change fluid for CMP.

cobrabitn
01-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Puzzle,

Change fluid and pads and use the stock pads for spares. I use performance Friction Z's from autozone but there are a wide assortment of pads you can use if you want to swap street/track pads. Hope to see you at CMP! :thumbsup:

Rodo
01-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Do not by ebc brakepads. Worth mistake I have ever made. They stop great and the dust is minimal, but they are noisey. Sometimes they squeek .....sometimes they dont. It gets really irritating.

Hazman
01-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Get a set of the Raybestos Quietstop Ceramics for the street. Good pedal feel, quiet, and little to no dust. Good track pads will make a lot of noise on the street because you do not get them up to operating temperature.

For the track you have a supercharged beast that you need to be able to stop. Use the Hawk Blues on the front and Hawk HP+ on the rear. Be prepared to clean those wheels and clay bar you car when you get home. You will get a lot of brake dust from your car and others on the track. Keep a rag handy and dust off the wheels the end of the day. DO NOT just spray water on them or get them wet without a good washing. The brake dust if it gets wet and them drys on the wheels can be a major pain to get off. Some folks go so far as to spray PAM on their wheels before a track event to keep the brake dust from sticking if it gets moist.

I have two sets of rotors also. One for street and one for track bedded in with the appropriate pads. The street set of rotors are my backup / replacements for track days.

Flush the brake system with a good high boiling point fluid such as Ford Heavy Duty or my favorite Valvoline Synthetic.:thumbsup:

puzzle13
01-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I always flush with Valvoline Synthetic and am getting stainless steel lines. Where did you get the Raybestos Pads?:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Hazman
01-16-2006, 08:37 PM
I always flush with Valvoline Synthetic and am getting stainless steel lines. Where did you get the Raybestos Pads?:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
WWW.rockauto.com:thumbsup: