PDA

View Full Version : alternator problems

craig98cobravrt
01-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I am burning up alternators after about 200+- miles on my stock convertible. So far I have replaced 5 in the past seven months from different places. I am using a remaned napa alt until i fix problem. Any suggestions before I take it to a shop. Its getting frustrating:mad: .

ausie
01-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I am burning up alternators after about 200+- miles on my stock convertible. So far I have replaced 5 in the past seven months from different places. I am using a remaned napa alt until i fix problem. Any suggestions before I take it to a shop. Its getting frustrating:mad: .
That sounds expensive. I would check the diodes. It may be probable that one is not conducting properly. Take it to autozone or other automotive parts shops that can pull a test on the charging system. At least that may identify a problem and should not cost much at all. Either the alternator cannot supply the amount of current needed (too weak) or that there may be a shorted cell in your battery (but it would be hard to start if that were the case). Also they have a maximum RPM rating and if exceeded they will not last too long. Also, if I am not mistaken, Cobra's need a 200Amp alternator where as most aftermarket are typically 127Amp which are marketed for the general Mustang SOHC motors. .

ausie
01-22-2006, 11:39 AM
This may be of help

http://www.inct.net/~autotips/altrn.htm