PDA

View Full Version : Mass air meter ??

tazzracing1
01-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Quick question I changed my plugs today to find out that my mass air meter has been changed to a C&L 95 mm how will this affect my tune??

Thank You for the help
Larry

blk04cobra1
01-24-2006, 01:03 PM
do you have the pipe with the stock mass air on top? I think C&L just offers the flow tube...either way, it shouldnt affect your tune if the car was tuned for it, just allow more power to be made :thumbsup: .

tazzracing1
01-24-2006, 02:18 PM
it has an anderson power pipe with a C&L 95mm.

Thank You for your help again.:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
If the car was tuned with those pieces in place then you will be fine. If not, it will lean the car out. It can be severely lean, or just right. It's hard to say unless you verify the fuel via wideband (or on the dyno).

InfamousSVT
01-25-2006, 12:17 AM
If the car was tuned with those pieces in place then you will be fine. If not, it will lean the car out. It can be severely lean, or just right. It's hard to say unless you verify the fuel via wideband (or on the dyno).
Exactly what he said! :)

Since you purchased the car used, I would definitely get it on a dyno just to make sure that your a/f is safe. :thumbsup:

tazzracing1
01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I talked with the person who tuned my call and he said it needs to have the original one on there otherwise it could be very lean and should have set off the check engine light which it has not yet. Thank You for the info once again and right on the money.

smashedheadcat
01-25-2006, 01:13 PM
The check engine light will come on when it thinks there is something wrong with the o2 sensor. If the maf curve is off (in this case, it is most likely) the o2 sensors will command more fuel. This is partial throttle/idle only btw. They only have a small range (somewhere around 25%). If they ask the computer for all they can (max fuel) and the o2 sensors still ask the computer for more fuel, the check engine light will appear. I guess the theory of this maf sensor is to lean the mixture slightly and get more power. I had the MAC straight shot cold air kit with a 95mm maf. I didn't have a pulley. I beat the **** out of my car like that to this day, I've had no problems. I've since gone a different route with the car, so I no longer use that particular piece of equipment.

ausie
01-28-2006, 09:14 AM
MAF is just that a mass air meter which measures the volume of air. Since the volume has changed slightly from the 90mm to 95mm and if the MAF electronics were not re-calibrated for the increase in volume of the tube, it will cause the air/fuel to run lean since it was calibrated to measure air flow in a 90mm tube. Not sure if that can be modified with a tune since the meter may max out before you get to WOT. If you plan on keeping the 95mm hardware, it would be to your advantage to get a MAF sensor that is calibrated for the 95mm bore. With that on board, you could probably add a larger throttle body and retune for the changes.

Dave B.
01-31-2006, 02:14 AM
or give it to the girl freind to use as a flower pot, but I do recomend you take it off the car,

I have a 95MM still sitting here on my work bench, $150 down the drain, when I had it on the car I could not get it tuned, it throws off the calculation for the cars computer, heres the deal in a nut shell,

there needs to be velocity, the dimamiter of the mass air tube that comes on the is tuned for that meter that plugs into it, its set so when theres a certain amount of velocity going past the meter to gauge how much air there is,,,then when a 5mm larger opening is put there, two things happen,

1.the air going thru is now going thru slightly slower because it has more room.

2. At the same time because it goes thru slower the meter/gauge tells the computer "SLOWER AIR IS LESS AIR SO LETS GIVE IT LESS FUEL"

3. but in reality theres more air going thru the tube because its bigger, but the mass air meter/gauge does not know that,

Bottom line is the 95mm leans out your car big time, I would make a bong out of it or something. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tazzracing1
02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Bought stock meter and installed