PDA

View Full Version : 03/04 Cobra value when 07 arrives?

Fig
01-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Do you think the values of the 03/04 Cobras will go up or down when the 07 Shelby Mustang comes out?

One would think the value would drop, but I have seen a few posts that seem to indicate that no one is rushing to get in line to trade up.

When the 05 GT Mustang came out used 01-04 GT Mustangs actually went up in price from what I saw.

Should I be in a hurry to get a 03 Cobra for fear of the same thing happening with the 07?

Firme
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
....I have seen a few posts that seem to indicate that no one is rushing to get in line to trade up.

I would tend to agree with this...

On one hand you will have a hand full of people that want the latest and greatest, and then those who want the shelby name, on the other hand, you have those who will say its a Shelby GT500 and not a Cobra, its a pig, its got solid axle, and the price went up, so they don't want it.

BUT... you gotta consider that when the car first comes out, there will be HEAVY markups, which will maintain, if not raise the 03/04 pricing since most people will not want to pay the dealer markup on the 07 and will turn to used 03/04's.

AirForce1
01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I would tend to agree with this...

On one hand you will have a hand full of people that want the latest and greatest, and then those who want the shelby name, on the other hand, you have those who will say its a Shelby GT500 and not a Cobra, its a pig, its got solid axle, and the price went up, so they don't want it.

BUT... you gotta consider that when the car first comes out, there will be HEAVY markups, which will maintain, if not raise the 03/04 pricing since most people will not want to pay the dealer markup on the 07 and will turn to used 03/04's.
:stupid: what he said.:D

InfamousSVT
01-24-2006, 11:15 PM
:stupid: what he said.:D
Agreed.................:rotf:

RF Cobra
01-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Due to Ford's current financial state they can't exactly price themselves out of the market and have product sitting on dealer lots. I know the current state of the company is already having big impacts on the dealerships as well.

So, I'm curious to see if and how much they overprice the MSRP and for how long. This is shaping up to be the closest thing to a buyers market on this type of car that there has ever been. This could mean prices may start high but quickly come down. I wouldn't count on rebates any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price becomes negotiable fairly quickly to keep from losing buyers to another Ford dealer since any dealer can order them.

As far as 03/04 prices, I don't think it will change them much unless the car is released and then is found to have some major defect like the Ford GT did. Then it may push the price up some, but I don't forsee any major increases or decreases in resale prices because of the Shelby.

Riversnake
01-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I tend to agree with you guys. Especially with the mediocre to negative response on "other" forums from guys that are seeing the car at shows. Comments saying the car is overly "plastic" and "cheap in appearance" do nothing to create desire amoung the masses.

But like Firme said, there are always those that have to have newest toy on the block. They will grab up first ones, but after that, I think the new cars will be alot more available than dealers would like to admit. And the 03/04s will be getting a lot of looks again, esp for half the price of the 07s.

Texaslawdawg
02-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I think the value will hold...

beerkat
02-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I think that cars, for the most part, are a bad investment from the start. so play with it like there is no tomorrow and do not worry about what it is worth.:thumbsup:

cobrabitn
02-19-2006, 10:10 AM
I think I'll keep my Mystichrome and enjoy it because I think the 03/04's are the best & meanest looking Cobras off the factory production line. All Cobras are sweet but the 03/04's just have that intimidating look when they are out on the road. Just my opinion of course. ;)

sssvtcobra
02-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I will have to agree with Beerkat. I don't think cars are much of an investment opportunity, such as a house. But I will admit that I am treating mine as such. And I agree with Tony that these are mean looking Cobras with the wide open front ends, and the stance.

spincobra03
02-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Just wanted to chime in here. I would tend to think since poeple are already seeing the over priced shelby isnt worth the 50,000 plus that the value of an 03 /04 would go up. The reason I say this is where else can you get an american muscle car that has 400 horse for a reasonable 25-32,000 car anymore. There is gonna be a point to where a large number of people arent going to be spending 50 g's or more on a car that weighs that much and dosent have that great of an interior. For that price id spend 45 on a nice vett or for the same amount as a shelby, id rather have a viper, but im not that rich lol. I guess my point is, for the price you cant beat the 03 04 cobra. 20 years from now these cars (MEANING 03 AND 04) are going to have some real nice resale value. just my opinion.

Dave B.
02-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Im going to give you the nut shell version,,,,,,,,

I personaly think what Ford did to the 05 and up Mustang is Appalling!!!!!
iv said this before and Ill say it again, while the rest of the free world moves on and upwards in performance tech, "Mid Engine", low profile, high tech.

We for some dumb reason say,,"HEY,,,ID LIKE TO RELIVE MY TEEN YEARS CAN YOU MAKE ME AN OLD CAR?"

I hate it,,,,,its a BOX,,,,,the 05 design is the most unaerodynamic design one could ponder, its sick, the 03-04 at least works in a wind tunnel, with the newer ones they had to say screw the wind tunnel,,lets build an old car,
im still trying to understand why they did not mass produce the GT40 so I could have one,,,,,,,,bastards,,,,the 03-04 one day are going to be thought of as the first years the Cobra came supercharged

ausie
03-07-2006, 06:57 AM
It would be hard to predict what the future may bring to the value of the american muscle car. Usually what holds value is the first or last year a certain model was made and what options the car had from the factory. As it seems the 03/04 SVT Cobras have both, first year of a supercharged Mustang and the last year it was made in that body style. It may be probable that the cost may inflate due to the demand on the 05 body style of the shelby gt500 and the price it will bear. Why not get an 03/04 which has been the talk of the town ever since it came out and has lived up to its reputation of the terminator it was meant to be.

Dave B.
03-09-2006, 12:33 AM
I think you hit it on the head Ausie,,the 03-04 will have a very unique place being a 2 year group spread of the first SC Cobras, and since the body style does very a little from the 02 Cobra, there is only the 03-04.

I would bet good money in ten years that the 03-04 will hold up extreamly well in value. I absolutly hate the 05 retro designs going on in this country.

I hope and pray Ford will come to their senses soon and not make the 2008 Cobra look like a shoe box next to the Challenger and Camero.

secondchance
03-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Saw this just recently.

Team Spiritless (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=109512)

If true, it looks like we will probably need to rethink how these cars will be valued in the future.