PDA

View Full Version : High Perf Mass Air necessary?

Schleprock
01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
The original MAF went bad about 2 months after I installed a K&N FIPK. It was under warranty still so the just replaced with a stock MAF.
Do I need to get a special mass air sensor so this won't happen again?

Big T
01-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Did you use alot of oil with the K&N filter? Mabye you got some oil or residue on the sensor. The mass air meter should work up until 500+ hp from what I have heard.

InfamousSVT
01-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Exactly what Big T said, unless you plan on pushing the hp past 500rwhp you will be fine, after that you will peg out the meter. But instead of getting a new meter you can purchase a MAFia extender which will allow your tuner to adjust your meter to the needed parameters past the 500rwhp mark.

You are good to go! Just make sure that the filter is dry and that you don't get anything on the sensor. :thumbsup:
The sensor's are very sensitive. On one forum a guy had his car taken apart for a while and when he went to install everything the car didn't start. He couldn't figure it out, he took the MAF out and sure enough a spider had made a small web inside the sensor on the MAF. That web was enough to cause the sensor to read incorrectly. Funny story I just thought I'd share.:)

pdogkilr
02-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Really doesn't take 500+ to peg the factory MAF. With an AccuFab TB and Bassani Headers, mine was flowing so much air at 455 the meter was at 4.999 on a cold dry day. Tuner said August might be dangerous in Atlanta. Went with SCT MAF (and tune) no problems.

Put on a 2.8 upper which was supposed to give 14LBs of boost. With the airflow only got 12.5LBs because the backpressure was not there.

Modular Powerhouse is putting on a Metco Lower Feb 23rd to get the boost up where I wanted it.

Pro-Dyno
02-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Most of these stock meters will not peg untill around 515rwhp sae Dynojet and the injectores go around 525rwhp atleast that is what i have seen time and time again :thumbsup: