PDA

View Full Version : How Long for Removal/Installation of Supercharger

SuperG
01-29-2006, 10:00 AM
I have sent my Vortech back to the factory to replace the seals and was wondering how long it should take a professional mechanic to remove the supercharger, then later re-install it?

Thanks for any input...BTW, the heads of the mounting bolts appear to face toward the engine, rather than toward the front of the car...perhaps that would add some time...

SNAKEYE
01-29-2006, 08:11 PM
I have sent my Vortech back to the factory to replace the seals and was wondering how long it should take a professional mechanic to remove the supercharger, then later re-install it?

Thanks for any input...BTW, the heads of the mounting bolts appear to face toward the engine, rather than toward the front of the car...perhaps that would add some time...I did that myself a few years back. Took me about two hours each way(jacking up, draining coolant, removing hose connections, and reaching about six invisible mounting bolts!). Not a particularly pleasant job. Mine took new bearings and a new impeller. $600+! Have put almost 22K on since the re-build, and all is well.

What you (and your pro) are going to need is the installation instructions. To paraphrase, "removal is the reverse of installation". If you don't have the installation instructions go to Vortech's website and download'em for free. From the instructions you will see that the blower itself bolts to a big old bracket. That's why the boltheads are on the backside. The blower bolts to the bracket, then the bracket bolts to the engine. Get the manual, everything you (and the pro) need to know is in there right down to what size bolt goes where.

SuperG
01-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Snakeye! That's twice you've been able to help! As it happens, I do have the original installation instructions and 4 hours is about what we were estimating...

SNAKEYE
01-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Thanks, Snakeye! That's twice you've been able to help! As it happens, I do have the original installation instructions and 4 hours is about what we were estimating...
You are welcome.
While you have the blower removed, replace the Vortech idler pulley too. It can not be replaced with the blower installed, so do it while the blower is out of there. It's the brownish plastic-looking pulley stuck inbetween the blower and the engine.
When you talk to Vortech have them give you the address that UPS recognizes (I presume you'll be shipping it via UPS). I used UPS-2nd day. It rode around California for a couple of days trying to find Vortech. Somrthing about different zipcodes!

SuperG
01-30-2006, 07:07 AM
You are welcome.
While you have the blower removed, replace the Vortech idler pulley too. It can not be replaced with the blower installed, so do it while the blower is out of there. It's the brownish plastic-looking pulley stuck inbetween the blower and the engine.
When you talk to Vortech have them give you the address that UPS recognizes (I presume you'll be shipping it via UPS). I used UPS-2nd day. It rode around California for a couple of days trying to find Vortech. Somrthing about different zipcodes!
That's a good idea! Thanks again!

smashedheadcat
01-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I can have my vortech off in about 30 minutes. All you need is a flat head screw driver, a 1/2'' ratchet for the belt and a 13mm ratchet wrench (I think the oil feed line is a 15mm but it's been awhile). A professional mechanic should be able to do it in 1 labor hour. I can get mine off in a hurry, but I've also pulled mine 20 times at least. I would recommend the idler pulley as well. if that thing goes out then you have to buy the bracket that holds it together as well. Been there, done that a few times. Also, a new belt is never a bad idea.

SuperG
01-31-2006, 07:14 AM
I can have my vortech off in about 30 minutes. All you need is a flat head screw driver, a 1/2'' ratchet for the belt and a 13mm ratchet wrench (I think the oil feed line is a 15mm but it's been awhile). A professional mechanic should be able to do it in 1 labor hour. I can get mine off in a hurry, but I've also pulled mine 20 times at least. I would recommend the idler pulley as well. if that thing goes out then you have to buy the bracket that holds it together as well. Been there, done that a few times. Also, a new belt is never a bad idea.
Good points...replace things while other stuff is out of the way!

SNAKEYE
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I can have my vortech off in about 30 minutes. All you need is a flat head screw driver, a 1/2'' ratchet for the belt and a 13mm ratchet wrench (I think the oil feed line is a 15mm but it's been awhile). A professional mechanic should be able to do it in 1 labor hour. I can get mine off in a hurry, but I've also pulled mine 20 times at least. I would recommend the idler pulley as well. if that thing goes out then you have to buy the bracket that holds it together as well. Been there, done that a few times. Also, a new belt is never a bad idea.Don't you just love that 45-degree angle adapter between the oil injector nozzle and the oil feed line. And it's all SO-O-O-O visible and accessible. Pulling that nozzle for flushing with every oil change (per Vortech's instructions) is a real dream (read: nightmare!) too. I'm pretty sure the nozzle takes a 1/2" socket. Don't loose the copper washer! And there's oh-so-much room down there to swing a ratchet and/or wrenches. Kind of glad I only have to do it only twice a year!
A new belt whenever the opportunity arises is always a good idea. Can't put one on without pulling the blower loose to gain clearance just to squeeze the belt in.

smashedheadcat
02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, the oil line is a pain in the ass, but I can get it rather quickly, it does scratch up the wrists and stuff though. To remove the blower bracket, I use a craftsman ratchet wrench and I can get it apart quickly. :thumbsup: