PDA

View Full Version : 03-04 Cobra Prices?

Muney
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Hello all, I am new to the board. I have been around muscle cars all my life, My dad was always into building them. I have recently gotten into Mustangs, and am currently searching for a cobra to buy. i was wondering about the average price for a 03-04 cobra. I have seen a few on ebay around my area. Hardtop's, about 20k miles, clean and stock. they are usually around 25k. Is this the average price, or how much do you guys think they go for now?

Also this might be stupid to you guys, but I have always wondered, what is the difference between a GT and a cobra..(03-04) besides the fact that the cobra is supercharged, and has a different hood? In all reality couldent I spend 16-18k and then spend another 2-3k on a nice supercharger setup? Like I said, just looking to gain information, plz dont flame me, I am new to the mustang :)

topp66
02-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Welcome. This is my first post response.

I have seen a range of prices but a good low mile coupe will go for around $23k. Some differences between the GT and cobra are: engine (hand built) and bullet proof, independent rear end, Heavy Duty 6 speed and clutch, entire suspension, brakes, interior (suede and leather), wheels, heat extraction hood, sway bars, gauge cluster. That is just what comes to mind. Some of the more technical guys can give you the details.

I have a Red Fire 2003 Cobra Coupe with 13k miles. Mint condition and stock. I picked it up one year ago with 2k miles on it from a collector in IL. The car is absolutely awsome.

I may be trading it for a new SRT8 Charger. Family needs. Let me know if you are really in the market for one sometime.

Take care.

Dave B.
02-02-2006, 09:08 PM
your in luck, I have a super exotic 03 10th aniversery for sale, just read all I have, send me an email address that I can send you some photos to as i cannot upload them to this web site

SVT_03Cobra
02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey... I'm new to the board as well...

As for the question... I JUST purchased my 2003 Cobra Convertible from ebay last week... in fact I'm picking it up this Saturday.. In summary its SUPER CLEAN with 13k miles, Mods and convertible... thats what sold me..

Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible

Overall Details

Immaculate condition in and out, not a ding or scratch on it
Never wrecked, never involved in any kind of accident, never painted, etc.
Original non-smoking adult owner
Upgraded CHROME WHEELS on car since it was new from Ford
Stock SUPERCHARGER on car since it was new from Ford
Factory WARRANTY scheduled to last until 05/2007
LoJack Installed when purchased
Always garage kept, this car never sees rain or snow
Low Miles...13,800 miles as of this auction posting (nice weather coming, so a few more miles could go on this weekend!)
As of today, 01/21/2006, Kelley Blue Book puts "Private Party" value of this car at $27,580 (and that's not including all the extras listed below!)

Extras On The Car

MagnaFlow full stainless X-pipe with high-flow cats (top of the line for MagnaFlow, and over $1650 when new)
MagnaFlow full stainless cat-back exhaust system & mufflers (over $650 when new)
Steeda Triax short-throw shifter (about $200 when new)
Metco 6lb lower pulley kit (about $478 when new)
Metco compensating alternator pulley (about $55 when new)
Chrome supercharger pulley cover with a cobra snake image laser-cut into it (about $220 when new. See it in the pics below)
K&N FIPK Air Filter Kit (about $145 when new)
Raptor shift light (about $85 when new. It's hidden inside one of the vents so you don't see it unless it lights up)
Hood Strut Kit (about $85 when new. Raises & holds the hood up so you don't need to use the hood prop rod. See it in the pics below)
Hilton Boost Overlay (about $40 when new. Changes the stock boost guage from ending at 10, to ending at 16. Looks completely stock. Look at the pics below)

Other Details

A close friend of mine is the SVT mechanic at a local Ford dealership near here. He did all work ever done on this car, so it was all done right. Over $3,600 in extras have been added to the car as listed above. The only thing I have not done, that I had planned is to lower it with Eibach springs. It has been tuned with a DiabloSport Predator tuner.

This is one hell of a car. I'll miss it!

I ran the car one time down a local track last fall. I babied the hell out of it off the line, and also missed 4th gear at the end. Even doing that I ran the quarter mile in 12.7 seconds. I'm sure with a better driver it would run 12.5 or better as it is right now, but I just wanted an idea of what it would run. I have never had it dynoed, but figure it is somewhere between 475HP - 500HP...who knows, maybe more.

I can wait to get it...!!!

SVT_03Cobra
02-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Sorry... I forgot the price... $27k

Muney
02-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the info. I am in the market for a 03-04 cobra. i want one as close to stock as I can get. With low miles (20k or lower) has to be a coupe. And preferrably black, or dark grey.

Dave B.
02-02-2006, 11:28 PM
why do you want one that is stock?

Big T
02-02-2006, 11:55 PM
why do you want one that is stock?
Dave, I was wondering why are you selling your car? From all your posts you seem to enjoy it alot.

SpikeMT
02-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I have a 2003 w/ 13k miles. It is a convertable with aftermarket exhaust and perfect. I paid 24k

I have been offered $26,500 from my local ford dealer. He saw the car when I braught it in for warranty work.

I could sell it and make a nice profit but I love my Cobra. I just baught it at the end of November '05

I own a car dealership myself. I can tell you, there is an advantage right now to the buyers of '03 Cobras. Dealers dont really know what they are and have no use for them. I could have baught another 2003 from a new car dealer in NY for 24,500 with 10k miles, it was a convertable but I passed it for the one I own now.

My point is, you can steal them at the momment. It wont be long and these cars will be worth alot and everyone will be aware of their value.

They are awesome cars...I have no regrets. I took a 2003 GT in trade for my 2001 Cobra that I sold. The GT isnt even close to the Cobra. I was very disapppointed. GT's are cool if you have never driven a Cobra. And now that I own and drive a 390hp Supercharged '03 it will be hard to own anything else. Super fun, super cool and I can blow any car way...super fast...insane

Happy hunting
Steve

Dave B.
02-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Mainly because im almost 49 and yes I do enjoy it a lot but the Cobra is a true high performance sports car, even though its got great leather seats, the back surgery I had a few years ago is just not getting along with the ride, and mainly im just tired of shifting, if it was an automatic I would keep it, but im just ready to move up to a sport luxury car, iv realy had my eye on the Chrysler C300 SRT-8

beerkat
02-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Sorry to hear that at almost 49 you feel to old for a Cobra. I am 54 and still looking forward to many more years of on track fun. Heck I did not even get my first high performance vehicle until I was 50, that when I got my Lightning. I have back issues also, have not had to have cutting done, so I just eat a lot of ibuprofen for the pain.:thumbsup:

Skitzerman
02-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I could not imagine letting my Cobra go. I'll be 59 next month with the associated back problems. Aspercreme and an Aleve work for me. I would never own a car I couldn't shift. Blowing someone away with my modified Mystic Cobra is still a rush. Hearing someone say "Hey man, WTF is in that thing", still does it for me.

Dave B.
02-03-2006, 03:05 PM
yea I hear ya,,,,,I really hear ya,,,,but im ready to move on,,,I want
C300 SRT-8

AirForce1
02-03-2006, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Skitzerman]Blowing someone away with my modified Mystic Cobra is still a rush. Hearing someone say "Hey man, WTF is in that thing" QUOTE]

I Love to see the expressions on there face when I hit the gas. I beat bikes all the time and they cant belive it.:rotf: It is hillarious to watch there reactions. Ill tell you there is nothing like the feel of 650 rwhp.:D :cool:

topp66
02-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Dave B.

My good friend has a Magnum SRT8. It is a trip to drive. I am also looking at purchasing an SRT8 .... not sure between the Charger or 300C yet.

yea I hear ya,,,,,I really hear ya,,,,but im ready to move on,,,I want
C300 SRT-8

Dave B.
02-04-2006, 12:54 AM
You want the C300 for sure, I do not like the Charger with that stupid looking swoop back where the roof comes down to meet the trunk,,its a very very poor design, and the grill looks like some old car, but the C300 has a very regal look to it, Class, character, style,, the grill in the C300 reminds me of the Bentley, and im not a Bentley fan at all but something about the C300 just very much appeals to me,

topp66
02-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the 300C looks more majestic. Do you have current performance stats for the 300C vs. Charger? Are they similar or does the Charger have the weight advantage?

Thanks

Dave B.
02-04-2006, 01:08 AM
I think there going to be the same, basicly, Both CHrysler and Dodge were given the packages, it sort of breaks down this way:

Chrysler C300 SRT-8
CHrysler C300 5.7 Hemi
Chrysler C300 Touring (all wheel drive,drops 2 cylinders when crusing, slow)

Dodge Charger R/T (C300 5.7 Hemi)
Dodge CHarger SRT-8 (same as C300 SRT-8)
then there is some underling CHarger just like the C300 touring

Stavesacre21
02-04-2006, 06:14 AM
I know i'm a little outta my league here, as I feel like a fish outta water, but I thought i'd put my word in.

I'd looked around in the last 3-4 months into possiably getting an 03/04 for 2 basic purposes.

#1 - simple...supercharger. There's something about a factory warrented 390HP that just feels seemingly too comfortable. :doubt: Having dealt with 305 for awhile, i'm rather curious as to what another 85 horse would feel like.

#2 - as funny as it may sound...traction control. Sadly an option that was either overlooked, or not avilable in the 96-98's, I've always thought that in in high powered car...it would be simply, priceless.

Also being a stock junkie, I came along many Cobras that fell between the $24-27K range. I did come across an 03 with 18K miles on it that was being sold by a 57 yo lady for a jaw dropping $21,500...but surprisingly found that I couldn't see myself selling my 97 when I started to think about it a lil more. I guess it is true that after awhile, you start to grow attached to your cars, despite such differences. Or maybe its simply that after transplanting a whole new transmission and clutch, i'd rather get the value out of it then eat the $2K I had to put into it, minus the money lost in time owned yet to boot. Safe to say, when i checked up on the car again after studdering for 4 days, it was gone. If i'd been serious about that, that would have been a huge steal. That was in Columbus.

I won't lie, the appeal of the 03/04 is without a doubt, mouth watering. Maybe someday i'll add one to the stable, but for now, I'd have to say i'm oddly happy as could be with my 97

...even finances aside :doubt: :spoke: :what: :lurk: :crazy: :scratch: :dunno:

beerkat
02-04-2006, 10:05 AM
The traction control in the '03 '04 Cobras suck. What it does is cut the power to the engine not the wheels. So when you really get on it the car does a nose dive. I have learn to turn mine off when I get in the car.

Stavesacre21
02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
:nope:

you'd imagine they'd think those kinda details over before production. Something that chinsey sure is awefully surprising comin from SVT...

Skitzerman
02-04-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree, the traction control is worthless for normal road conditions. I would think it could be of some benefit in the rain. My Cobra has never seen a rain drop or a snowflake so I'm not speaking from experience here. I have had a lot of experience with the nosedive though. Turning off the traction control as soon as I fire her up is something that I forget to do once in a while. I could defeat it with my Predator tuner but if I got caught in the rain, I'd be screwed.

Stavesacre21
02-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Yea i've actaully heard that there is somewhere you can buy a swictch that when installed, allows the 03-04 Cobras to always start up with the traction off...but DOESN'T completely disable it from being used. Basically, it seems to do the opposite of the way it is now...reagurdless of previous settings, ALWAYS starts up turned off.

From what i've heard from others too, this seems to be a pretty hott item...and if it's as useless as it sounds, its probably pretty useful too!

topp66
02-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Muney.

I have been offered $23k for my 03 Redfire Coupe with 13,200 miles in it...100% stock. I have seen another low mile go for $22,900 on e-bay. I am close to selling the car.