PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

neckdemon
02-05-2006, 03:56 PM
well i'm a mustang lover. especially the cobra's. i'm currently in the market for a mustang cobra. as of now i'm leaning towards a '03 or '04 cobra. but i'd like some input from you guys/girls. which cobra would you suggest as the car a new cobra owner should be looking at? i'd love to wait and buy an '07 (even though i know they aren't calling them cobras) but i won't be able to afford one. this also leaves out a 2000 cobra r obviously. i'm want to get the car which would be considered the best quality for my budget.

cobrabitn
02-05-2006, 04:43 PM
It all depends on your budget. Here are my recommendations:

6K to 11K - 1993-95 Cobra
8K to 14K - 1996-98 Cobra
11 K to 17K - 1999-01 Cobra
21K to 30K - 2003-04 Cobra

Welcome to the boards! :thumbsup:

neckdemon
02-05-2006, 05:24 PM
well, i can afford to finance an 03 or 04 cobra. and that is the car i have been leaning towards. but i just wanted a little input on what some cobra owners think. like how is the handling? is the independent rear suspension a problem or is it a real upgrade? stuff like that.

93KingCobra
02-06-2006, 12:42 AM
It all depends on your budget. Here are my recommendations:

6K to 11K - 1994-95 Cobra
8K to 14K - 1996-98 Cobra
11 K to 17K - 1999-01 Cobra
21K to 30K - 2003-04 Cobra

Welcome to the boards! :thumbsup:

What no 93's?????? :( :(

cobrabitn
02-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Oops...sorry, just a slip of the brain (brain fart). I got er fixed! :D

tazzracing1
02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I had a 97 cobra and enjoyed it very much, I did put a bit of money into the rear suspension to get it to handle the way I thought it should have. I upgraded to a 03 now and I love the way it handles and the power difference is really worth the extra. I wish you good luck in your search and I know you will enjoy what ever model you choose. I have a question what are you going to use the car for??
open track
drag strip
daily driver or cruising.
These are usuallu the deciding factors. I use mine for daily in the warmer months and cruising around.

sssvtcobra
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Just as stated above, it depends on what you want to use the car for. The '03-'04's are great for the strip but you just have to remove the IRS before taking to the strip if you really plan on building that thing up and lauching it hard. Otherwise the IRS is great for daily, cruising, open track, and even autocross.

neckdemon
02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
well i plan om using the car as a daily driver with occasional trips to englishtown (a drag-strip in central new jersey for those of you who aren't familiar with the area). i plan on building it up a little bit. as far as launching the car really hard......i'll probably just be driving it on drag radials, so i don't know how much abuse i will really be giving the rear end. i'd like to be able to get the car into the 11's on drag radials. i really don't think it's feasible to go any further with a car that i also plan on using as transportation. basically what i want is a pretty fast street car. so what do you guys think? the '03-'04 cobra is a good choice for this? i'd really rather not have to change to a solid axle if i don't have to. how does the irs perform as far as wheel-hop is concerned?

sssvtcobra
02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
If all you want is a fast street car, I would definately suggest an '03-'04. But if you plan on launching with drag radials, you'll be OK with the rear end as long as you build it up a little. A few things would be, new stronger half axles, sub-frame connectors, new IRS bushings, control arm bushings, IRS brace, differential bushings, and a new set of springs. I think that pretty much covers it. Hopefully if I left anything out, somebody else will jump in. I have an '04 and I don't plan on dragging my car a whole lot, but maybe a couple of times. And those are the upgrades I'm planning on doing. Although I went the coilover route instead of springs.

Just my 0.02 :thumbsup:

neckdemon
02-07-2006, 07:21 PM
so you don't think that the rear will hold up to a few laucnhes a year on DR's? thats surprising. i used to lauch the **** out of my 1990 mustang with the stock 8.8 rear-end. with slicks and with DR's. granted i never had 400 hp but still. i would think they would build a rear that can handle the 390 HP that the car puts out. then again i did say i wanted to step up the HP a bit. but still i had about 300 HP in my fox with the stock 8.8 and it held up.

sssvtcobra
02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't want to say it won't hold up exactly. But with the IRS being back there, you will get wheel hop. And wheel hop will break things. Those are just upgrades that you can do to help prevent wheel hop and breaking something. I think it would suck to be at a track, and break something there. I've done the coilovers with 650lb springs in the rear and the sub-frame connectors and still get wheel hop. IRS brace will help your rear end from shattering, and the bushings, springs, and connectors help eliminate the wheel hop. Once you start wheel hopping, is when you can break a half shaft. So if you upgrade those to say level 5's you'll be good there up until I think it's 700 rwhp (don't quote me exact on the hp level, but it's up there). I've seen people go with pretty much stock stuff and just replace those parts with beefier units when something breaks.

neckdemon
02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't want to say it won't hold up exactly. But with the IRS being back there, you will get wheel hop. And wheel hop will break things. Those are just upgrades that you can do to help prevent wheel hop and breaking something. I think it would suck to be at a track, and break something there. I've done the coilovers with 650lb springs in the rear and the sub-frame connectors and still get wheel hop. IRS brace will help your rear end from shattering, and the bushings, springs, and connectors help eliminate the wheel hop. Once you start wheel hopping, is when you can break a half shaft. So if you upgrade those to say level 5's you'll be good there up until I think it's 700 rwhp (don't quote me exact on the hp level, but it's up there). I've seen people go with pretty much stock stuff and just replace those parts with beefier units when something breaks.

so, if i'm just on the street say. and i go to roast the tires i'm going to be getting bad wheel hop instead?

sssvtcobra
02-10-2006, 12:32 PM
If you slowly let your clutch out, then you probably won't get any wheel hop. That's about the only way I can really roast my tires. If I just drop the hammer then I start to wheel hop. I had an Evo 8 that wanted to race one time at a light, so I decided to go for it. And when the light turned green, I let it rip and all I did was wheel hop pretty violently. I just let off the gas immediately and let the hopping slow down until I could accelerate ok. But the best way I can get my tires to spin is to just slowly let the clutch out while giving it gas. I've experienced wheel hop doing this at times also, but it's not near as bad, then after a little wheel hopping the tires begin to spin. Hell of hopped just punching the gas to get around cars when I'm down a gear. I've got a good set of tires on my car. Not drag radials but no cheap set either. Will I ever give up my IRS? no. I enjoy the curvy mountain roads to much to do that. I'd rather just spend the $$ to upgrade my rear end a little and make it a little stronger and resistant to breakage.

tazzracing1
02-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I would go for the 03/04 Cobra it is worth the money and I know you will be happier in the end with the power/ride and comfort. I have no regrets getting rid of my 97 for the 03. My wife now enjoys riding in it also, The seating is better and alot smoother ride.

neckdemon
02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure i'm going to get the '03. as a matter of fact i'm looking at one right now that i am seriously considering buying. i have another question about the wheel-hop though. would this be a good way to keep it under control?

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobrahard.htm

sssvtcobra
02-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I've never seen that cross bar before. Or have I ever heard of anybody using it before. I don't know how much it would. I could see it possibly helping out a little. The rest of those bushings and stuff are the same things that I mentioned before. I recommend going with Maximum Motorsports stuff though. I'd recommend Kenny Brown stuff as I've heard good things about their products, but they're closed up right now (you might be able to buy parts from them, but not sure). I would say anything you do to the rear suspension is going to help with wheel hop, but don't expect to get rid of it completely 100%. If you do all the upgrades that you can to the rear suspension, and start making BIG power you can still have wheel hop. But if you stay relatively stock or a little more power than stock you should be fine.

neckdemon
02-11-2006, 02:18 PM
i guess it's kinda like traction bars on like a fox body or something. idk. i guess i'll have to just look into what the best combination of parts will be to try and eliminate as much of it as possible. thnx for thesuggestions though. they will be a good start. just out of curiousity. what are people using if they make the switch to a solid rear axle?

tazzracing1
02-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Ford Racing has this same item. I don't remember the price though I will look it up later.

sssvtcobra
02-12-2006, 12:16 PM
If people do the switch they are just getting the s.r.a.'s out of GT's. There are people always doing the swaps. You can usually find one of ebay or forums like this one. If you get an '03-'04 you will be smiling from ear to ear, and you won't regret it. But you will regret not getting one once you ride in one. I know I did. I purchased an '01 used, instead of buying a terminator new. Then test drove an '04 and knew I should have bought one of these instead.