PDA

View Full Version : 97 Cobra temperature question (again)

Abu Ali
02-06-2006, 04:28 PM
i have read what u gays wrote for me. but i have a question. i have found the 160 degree thermostat ... should i instal it alone with out the fludyne rediator, and the water weter... would it cause a problem? and it will solve the temperature problem or not????

thanks for ur effort and time

Abu Ali :)

cobrabitn
02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Your Cobra is a 97 and it would benefit with the installation of a new radiator. Ford makes parts that are just good enough to last under normal driving conditions and can last through the warranty period. I would say that 100,000 miles would be the goal for most manufacturers.

SNAKEYE
02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
The stock radiator simply doesn't have the ability to remove heat fast enough regardless of the thermostat used. A 160 t-stat will help by starting coolant flow thru the radiator sooner, but with higher ambient temps and low air flow thru the radiator the engine temp will still climb because the radiator just can't flow enough coolant. A two-core radiator splits the flow, slows it down, and gives what air flow there is a chance to pull more heat out of the coolant. Getting the radiator fan to turn on at a lower temp (by manual or automatic override methods, or by faking out the computer) gets the heat extraction process started earlier. The upshot is you need all three for the best overall results: lower temp t-stat, 2-core radiator, and lower temp fan activation (coordinated with the t-stat). The best money I spent trying to lower my temps was the 2-core radiator.