PDA

View Full Version : 04 with odd muffled squeel when pulling out

ausie
02-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Recently my 04 has developed an odd muffled sound, almost as if it was beginning to stall when pulling out in 1st gear. The noise is prevalant when attempting to drive off from a start the way I normally do, and is not noticable when more throttle is used and the clutch is allowed to slip a bit. If I launch like I was at the stirp I do not have the problem but that is not practical on the street. I was not sure if the sound was comming from the intake (hence a stall) or more than likely the clutch or throwout bearing. I did disassemble the throttle body and intake plenum up to the supercharger only to find a nice medium coating of grime on everything so I cleaned what I could which improved performance but did not resolve the noise issue. I am willing to lean on the throw out bearing being the cause of the noise. It was a squeeler before I replaced the clutch quadrant. I would almost think it was clutch chatter or slip from glazing but I do not seem to have issues with the clutch holding strong.

Any Ideas?

neckdemon
02-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Recently my 04 has developed an odd muffled sound, almost as if it was beginning to stall when pulling out in 1st gear. The noise is prevalant when attempting to drive off from a start the way I normally do, and is not noticable when more throttle is used and the clutch is allowed to slip a bit. If I launch like I was at the stirp I do not have the problem but that is not practical on the street. I was not sure if the sound was comming from the intake (hence a stall) or more than likely the clutch or throwout bearing. I did disassemble the throttle body and intake plenum up to the supercharger only to find a nice medium coating of grime on everything so I cleaned what I could which improved performance but did not resolve the noise issue. I am willing to lean on the throw out bearing being the cause of the noise. It was a squeeler before I replaced the clutch quadrant. I would almost think it was clutch chatter or slip from glazing but I do not seem to have issues with the clutch holding strong.

Any Ideas?

you can have clutch chatter without having any issues with the clutch holding. when i was building my last fox body and i used a spec II clutch i had some clutch chatter in the beginning.

ausie
02-08-2006, 06:21 AM
Do you think it may be clutch chatter?

I also now noticed I have some issues shifting at times. I may take a look at things underneath and also was considering swapping out the factory clutc cable for the one that came with the UPR kit (did not use it since many have argued that the aftermarket calbes break). I may just back off some tension on the cable adjustment a bit since I may have too much. This spring I may just get the clutch, pressure plate and TB replaced. 14K miles is too short a life for the factory clutch but since I had some issues with it prior to the clutch quadrant install I would probably be better off with new assembly.

neckdemon
02-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Do you think it may be clutch chatter?

I also now noticed I have some issues shifting at times. I may take a look at things underneath and also was considering swapping out the factory clutc cable for the one that came with the UPR kit (did not use it since many have argued that the aftermarket calbes break). I may just back off some tension on the cable adjustment a bit since I may have too much. This spring I may just get the clutch, pressure plate and TB replaced. 14K miles is too short a life for the factory clutch but since I had some issues with it prior to the clutch quadrant install I would probably be better off with new assembly.

idk. iwouldn't describe the sound of clutch chatter as a squeal. but the other desription you give of the way it is acting while taking off and such remind me of some sort of minor clutch issue like chatter though.

ausie
02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
It is not quite a squeel (that was the best thought of what it sounds like). If I knew what clutch chatter sounded like I would know what it is (which is probably the case here). I may have too much tension on the clutch cable and hopefully I did not burn up the clutch. Since it will be snowing this weekend, I will do some inspection underside.

neckdemon
02-11-2006, 12:07 PM
clutch chatter sounds almost like it's name. like a sort of chatter. or vibration. it's tough to think of a good word to describe it. think of it as if the clutch disk is "chattering" in between the flywheel and the pressure plate.

ausie
02-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I know what chatter and the sound sort of sounds like its name, however there is no vibration or slip that would be noticable. To make matters worse I took on the task of replacing the clutch calbe only to find that when it was at the correct lenght I could not move the pedal. I reinstalled the factory cable as well as readjusted the fire wall adjuster and bingo, no more noise. From what I could see without removing the transmission, the fingers on the pressure plate where the thro-out bearing resides did not show any evidence of wear. Even the clutch pedal feel improved. I was able to drive the car before it snowed yesterday and it was an improvement. I will have to wait until the streets are clean and clear before driving it again. So much for that for now. :rolleyes:

ausie
02-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Just when you think it is all over, it is back again. Now I am convinced it is the clutch. Perhaps I put in too much drag time last year. At least I know what the next mod will be. Since you have to drop the transmission, may as well install a new shifter and have the fluids changed. I will have to talk things over with a friend of mine and see if I can get him to do it with me. He used to work for Ford so that may help, plus he has all of the tools to do the job. Then there is this other person I know who has his own shop which may be the better choice. I will have to give him a call and see what it will cost.

ausie
03-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, while the ripped filter was still on the car, I decided to take another gamble with the clutch before spending money on a new clutch hardware which would probably include a replacement pilot shaft, etc....

I had this can of brake parts cleaner sitting on a shelf and I said why not give that a try. Took off the cable shield and flooded the pressure plate (between the fingers as much as possible). Lets just say this,, it sprayed in clear and came out black. At least it had a day or so to air dry. Once I got the filter off and replaced along with new oil, I took it out for a long test drive on Monday and all was well, no chatter . I just went out this evening before the snow hits and all I can say is SWEET. The only thing that was chattering or squeeling were the tires. Felt like I gained a handfull of HP. At first I was reluctant in using it but why not if I am planning on replacing the clutch anyway. For the time being I will reconsider replacing the clutch and hopefully get more miles out of it than the 16k miles on it already (that would have been premature if I had to replace it with that milage). :thumbsup:

QIK1320
03-02-2006, 12:13 PM
HAHAHAHA....you said pull out..

blk04cobra1
03-02-2006, 03:35 PM
HAHAHAHA....you said pull out..
69 :p ...sorry...now back on subject about that squealing issue :thumbsup:

ausie
03-03-2006, 07:09 AM
:D I guess you can place your mind else where and that becomes funny. :rotf: I will not expand on that one since it would be out of context :rolleyes:

:lol:

ausie
03-26-2006, 10:38 AM
18k on the parts, now being replaced. Was able to get Ford to hear the noise and it is covered under the basic warranty. They will not cover the clutch replacement so I offered to pay that part of it. I should have taken it in when it was chirping like a desparate frog in the spring. Hopefully I will not have to repeat the process all over again.