PDA

View Full Version : New Houston Area Track?

Admiral
02-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Things are getting interesting in the Houston area:

http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/index2.htm

:eek:

Firme
02-09-2006, 07:59 AM
sweet.. :eek:

That looks real Mustang friendly :rotf:

Levi
02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
What, did I die and this is Heaven, Texas. :bounce:

03 cobra toy
02-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Nice....Just down the street from me :D

Sonic Blue
02-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Damn I'm glad I'm moving to Texas!!! So many tracks!!!!! I thought living near Sebring and homestead was great

Levi
02-09-2006, 09:44 AM
You all know I love MSRH, but this new facility makes msrh look like a kiddy school track. :cool:
http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/overhead.jpg

Levi
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Nice....Just down the street from me :D

When do we start building that AI car for your son. :D :rotf:
:cool:

jimmysidecarr
02-09-2006, 10:32 AM
WOW!!!

This is a very serious high end effort!!!

45' of elevation change!!! :eek:

-->"Whether your a professional competing at the highest levels of competition or an occasional enthusiast that wants to feel the thrill of your Ford Mustang, LMP has it all covered for you with our world-class track design." :thumbsup:

I LOVE TEXAS!!! :bounce:

97CasperCobra
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
45' of elevation change!!! :eek:

3.0 mile track with that much of an elevation change?? Gonna take a LOT of dirt to build that up.

Should be interesting to see this develop. :thumbsup:

SuperG
02-09-2006, 10:41 AM
This is NOT good. Now there will be 3 roadcourses within 1 hour of me...I will probably be getting a divorce.

03 cobra toy
02-09-2006, 10:41 AM
When do we start building that AI car for your son. :D :rotf:
:cool:

When he get his DL ;)

03 cobra toy
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
This is NOT good. Now there will be 3 roadcourses within 1 hour of me...I will probably be getting a divorce.

Me 2 :(

03 cobra toy
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Things are getting interesting in the Houston area:

http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/index2.htm

:eek:

Thanks Mike for the post !!

Levi
02-09-2006, 10:56 AM
When he get his DL ;)

Should I keep the shifter kart so he can practice? I forgot he's already fast at taking down South Central members at Track21. :D

:rotf:

97CasperCobra
02-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Should I keep the shifter kart so he can practice? I forgot he's already fast at taking down South Central members at Track21. :D

you should have been there....it wasn't pretty.... :nope:

the GOOD news is that he's a new member of Skinny Guy Racing... :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
02-09-2006, 11:12 AM

:rotf:

VICTIM... He's good... real good!! :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM

:rotf: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mephisto
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
What is the actual status of this track? The last press release is dated 2000.

I too may have a limited track buget with the impending alimony.

Admiral
02-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I have no idea on status, but they did have a development summit meeting last week:

http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/development.htm

Not sure what that means or if it is just more fluff.

ORANGE CRUSH
02-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Sweeeeeeet. Time to get new mods for the new track.

Sonic Blue
02-10-2006, 12:41 PM

We can split the cost of the lawyer!!!!

SuperG
02-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Oh yeah...what about this place: http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/index.html

If that gets going then we'll have 4 tracks near us! You think this should drive prices down...

Levi
02-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah...what about this place: http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/index.html

If that gets going then we'll have 4 tracks near us! You think this should drive prices down...
We had a FP Stang Bang down there four year or so ago. They have been racing Go Karts down there and looks like they are trying to redo and expand the surface. :cool:

03 cobra toy
02-20-2006, 02:00 PM
:thumbsup: We will never need to leave Houston :D

Admiral
02-21-2006, 03:11 AM
We had a FP Stang Bang down there four year or so ago. They have been racing Go Karts down there and looks like they are trying to redo and expand the surface. :cool:

I was at that FP Stang Bang, I can't remember ever being that hot and dehydrated in my life. Temps were mid-90's but no wind, 100% humidity and I almost passed out. The track surface was terrible, graining VERY badly and the weeds around the track were so high that you could barely see tractors and a bulldozer that were parked just off the track surface. Track width in most places was too skinny, like 15 feet as I recall.

Would be nice to see it developed more, it was falling apart badly. Their website says a new fence went up, wonder if any new paving has been done?

SuperG
02-21-2006, 07:16 AM
:thumbsup: We will never need to leave Houston :D
Ha, it's like Golden Handcuffs at a job...they got you for life! Now with (possibly) 4 tracks in our area, what's a guy to do?

But honestly, with 4 tracks here and 2 in DFW (MSR and TMS), I am expecting prices to fall, because, I compare prices to TWS - it has the biggest bang for the buck...$225 (group rate) for 4 hours of track time (90 cents per minute), or even for full price $275 it's still the best deal around (about a dollar per minute of track time).

So, I find it hard to go to another track, like we did in early December when we paid $300 for less than 3 hours at MSR-H ($2 per minute), $100 for a Saturday at MSR-C for a little more than an hour of track time ($1.40 per minute), etc, etc, etc.

Then you top that off with the cost of tires...but a cost I am more than happy to accept. Now if we can get these tracks to come together to schedule events, not only sanctioned races, but DE's such that there is at least one every month with no overlap...that would be something!

aggie97
02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Be thankful that this is ALL it costs around here....Single day track events on the East coast at a track that has been on TV run about $350 a DAY and you might get 1.5 hours.....I will take our texas tracks any day of the week. However, I don't consider the infield at TMS a REAL road course....

Ha, it's like Golden Handcuffs at a job...they got you for life! Now with (possibly) 4 tracks in our area, what's a guy to do?

But honestly, with 4 tracks here and 2 in DFW (MSR and TMS), I am expecting prices to fall, because, I compare prices to TWS - it has the biggest bang for the buck...$225 (group rate) for 4 hours of track time (90 cents per minute), or even for full price $275 it's still the best deal around (about a dollar per minute of track time).

So, I find it hard to go to another track, like we did in early December when we paid $300 for less than 3 hours at MSR-H ($2 per minute), $100 for a Saturday at MSR-C for a little more than an hour of track time ($1.40 per minute), etc, etc, etc.

Then you top that off with the cost of tires...but a cost I am more than happy to accept. Now if we can get these tracks to come together to schedule events, not only sanctioned races, but DE's such that there is at least one every month with no overlap...that would be something!

03 cobra toy
03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
:bump: Any news on this track?

03 cobra toy
11-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Houston Chronicle

Nov. 16, 2007, 10:50PM
Work to begin soon on the $35 million complex
Liberty County motorsports park could host first event in 2009

Plans are under way to begin building a $35 million raceway park north of Houston that would be the first in Texas designed for national Grand-Am and AMA Superbike races.

Liberty Motorsports Park will be located on 819 acres off FM 105 near Cleveland in Liberty County, said the park's president, Marcus McBain. The park could host its first national event in April 2009.

McBain signed a memorandum of understanding with the city of Cleveland this week for public tax and infrastructure assistance.

A racing enthusiast who has won two national races and seven regional championships, McBain said he has been working to get this project off the ground for about four years.

"It was a longer, more drawn out process than we wanted. But I think we got there," said Cleveland Mayor Jill Kirkonis, after signing the agreement on Thursday.

The city has agreed to spend $1.2 million to run water and sewer to the site after it's annexed in January and after completion of a feasibility study.

Details of the plan
A special tax zone will be created that would fund public improvements in the park zone.

In addition, the city approved two tax incentives. Track developers will get 2.5 percent of the 7 percent occupancy tax on the city's hotels and recoup any sales tax generated from the track site for promoting tourism in the city.

In return, track developers are predicting that at least two nationally televised races will be held at this master-planned facility that will attract more than 60,000 spectators.

Then there will also be revenue generated from regional races, trade shows, car and motorcycle schools, festivals and music concerts, McBain said.

If all goes as planned, the economic impact from this project could be significant in terms of additional jobs and spending, Kirkonis said.

"What we are trying to create is a Disneyland atmosphere, not a Friday-night drag race," said McBain.

Spectators will not be blasted out of the park by loud engines as the park plans to limit the noise level to 105 decibels to "make it a place that people would live," McBain said.

That's because the plan includes about 40 trackside condominiums for racing enthusiasts who will have special track privileges as well as use of a clubhouse and pool.

Gaining in popularity
Most spectators will be seated on an elevated grassy hillside where they can bring their lawn chairs and coolers, but some will be watching from suites with many amenities that overlook the track.

The 2.8-mile asphalt track makes twists and turns, rather than running in an oval like NASCAR tracks do, McBain explained.

This sort of road course is gaining in popularity as a sports venue, he said, noting more than 13 million people in the United States bought tickets for this motor sport in 2004.

He said some smaller operations already offer this type of road racing in Texas, but the Liberty County facility will be the first that will be geared for the big national events.

"There are only 10 other raceways in the country of this caliber," he said.

Twelve miles of roadway will be constructed around the site to avoid traffic jams at the large events, McBain added.

Plans call for trees to be cleared in December and January and then construction to begin in February, he said.

Cleveland Advocate

*BREAKING NEWS* City, motorsports park reach agreement

At Tuesday's regular meeting of the Cleveland City Council, it was decided that the city would enter into a development agreement with Marcus McBain, president of Liberty Motorsports Park.

The decision came after an executive session involving all members of council, except Harry Williams, who abstained from the discussion because of a conflict of interest. Williams' family owns part of the acreage involved in the facility's plans.

Advertisement

After an hour, council members filed back in the meeting chamber, where they then voted to execute a development agreement with Liberty Motorsports Park. Of the four voting members of council, only one, Bill McAdams, cast a "nay" vote. Voting for the agreement were Barbara McIntyre, Frank Good and Durlene Davis.

The three also were unanimous in their vote for annexation of approximately 820 acres of land located north of SH 105 and north of the BNSF Railroad between Whiskey Creek and Fostoria Road. This land is to be the site of Liberty Motorsports Park. McAdams also voted against this agenda item.

However, all four were in agreement on setting dates for two public hearings for the annexation. These meetings will be announced in the Nov. 21 edition of the Cleveland Advocate.

On Thursday, Nov. 15, a press conference is set for 2 p.m. at the Cleveland Civic Center, where McBain will provide details about the park and announce events that, in anticipation of the park, have already begun to be booked. The public is invited to attend this important meeting.

http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/

Thanks Larry F for the FYI.... :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Looks like will all have a new girl freind in Cleveland! :thumbsup: I hope you guys do not mind sharing her with me :D I bet she have some really nice curves :eek: :rolleyes: :D :rotf:

Carl G
11-18-2007, 12:40 PM
If they can actually build what they are describing in the paper this will be one nice layout. But with a 35 million price tag to go with it, I wonder what the cost for a weekend will esculate too?Not to rain on our parade but that is a hefty price tag compared to some of the other tracks we have been running on. Probably the weekday events will be more in line to what we can afford to pay. :eek:

silversvo
11-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I would have to agree, the track is going to have to get the money back somewhere and we are the ones that will be paying for it in in the long run unless they get enough nationally sponsor events to show up and complete at the track...

97CasperCobra
11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Looks like will all have a new girl freind in Cleveland! :thumbsup: I hope you guys do not mind sharing her with me :D I bet she have some really nice curves :eek: :rolleyes: :D :rotf:
I'm sure she'll go through more rubber than Goodyear.... :p

Admiral
11-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm not holding my breath, after the "feasibility study" I'm afraid projects like this simply die a slow death. $35 million in funding? Where's it coming from? Without a commitment from a major sanctioning organization they'll be hard pressed to get anyone to start moving dirt...

Anyone remember the Houston Super Speedway down in Alvin? That one sure died a slow painful death, even after a super duper website and everything!!

silversvo
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I am going have to make it a habit to drive by there and start looking to see if any dirt is being moved and any construction or tree pulling has been started. I think it will die that painful death like Admiral is talking about. I hate to say that...:(

SuperG
11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, most cities aren't going to pledge a million bucks on utility work without some reasonable assurance this project is going to happen. I have to think that the developers have letters of intent from various pro racing organizations...

Admiral
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Maybe I'm missing the facts but I thought the article said the City was going to do a feasibility study first before putting up the $1M in utility work?

The city has agreed to spend $1.2 million to run water and sewer to the site after it's annexed in January and after completion of a feasibility study.

And I'm also not sure how firm this commitment is from the sanctioning bodies:

In return, track developers are predicting that at least two nationally televised races will be held at this master-planned facility that will attract more than 60,000 spectators.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen - I'm just not all fired up yet over this type of "news". Now, if they say CART or IRL have committed to two televised dates per year that would be news IMHO!!

Carl G
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Maybe I'm missing the facts but I thought the article said the City was going to do a feasibility study first before putting up the $1M in utility work?

And I'm also not sure how firm this commitment is from the sanctioning bodies:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen - I'm just not all fired up yet over this type of "news". Now, if they say CART or IRL have committed to two televised dates per year that would be news IMHO!!

Like I stated, the 35 million is big bucks for this type of facility andif it get's built, a weekend track event will cost more than $300 avaerage we pay now. Its called return on capital and trust me, driving schools want make that pay.

Twice Bitten
11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Any one want to take bets on this track opening???? :D

Admiral
11-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Any one want to take bets on this track opening???? :D

Do I have to give odds or even money?? Seriously, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket and I'd love to see this facility built. Much closer to me than MSRH!

Twice Bitten
11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Even Money :thumbsup: If you read the Liberty newspaper, you will see that one of the officials family owns part of the land that the track is to be built on. Gold ol' Boys East Texas politics are in our favor. The wildcard is to get a national race organization to have several venus there a year.

Admiral
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I'll take $20 of that action, track won't open in 5 years. If I'm wrong, best sawbuck I've ever spent.

Twice Bitten
11-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I'll take $20 of that action, track won't open in 5 years. If I'm wrong, best sawbuck I've ever spent.

I will take your bet! Either way, you win :D

Admiral
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I will take your bet! Either way, you win :D

I hopefully will get to pay up on the Grid in front of the Texas SCMC group!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Levi
11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
If they just get the asphalt down and the port-a-potties in place, use local boy’s can be the first to get some track time and break-in the new surface.

:D

gfcobra
11-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Check this (http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19037464&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=532241&rfi=6) out & from that article in the Cleveland Advocate
"The management team of Liberty Motorsports Park is hopeful that it will be able to complete the actual road course by June of 2008," said McBain.

SuperG
11-25-2007, 09:22 PM
OK...well I guess it is coming.

Yay!!!!!

jimmysidecarr
11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
That property in Peach Creek Plantation I was looking at is starting to look really tempting. ;) :p

Very close to Cleveland's proposed new track.

Admiral
11-26-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't see how this article is any different than the info David posted before. This is covering the same news from 11/15/07 that David's Chronicle article covered. They signed a memorandum, it still has to go through a "feasibility study" portion according to the Chronicle article. Grand Am and AMA races don't draw 80K crowds, something isn't adding up here IMHO.

Still, would be cool to have a track like this close, save me a drive out to Barber!

gfcobra
11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
"Oh man, don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning."

Admiral
11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
ROFL, ok ok, I'll stop with the "negative vibes" man. :D

97CasperCobra
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm gonna ban all upcoming new track talks.....it's getting my hopes up waaaay too much!!!! :(

Admiral
01-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Here's a status on LMP as of 1/17/08:

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19209024&BRD=1574&PAG=461&dept_id=532241&rfi=6

Liberty Motorsports Park is approaching its final delay in the effort to start construction. During December, Liberty Motorsports Park management and the primary equity partner worked to complete contracts that would have started construction for the much-anticipated Cleveland, Texas facility. However, the discussions halted and both parties stopped negotiations.

“The good news is that we had several ‘back-up’ investors ready to assist the project. The Christmas holiday unfortunately prevented work with these groups to transparently take place as would have occurred under normal circumstances,” said Marcus McBain, Liberty Motorsports Park president.

“Supporters of this project would not have known anything occurred past a small delay had this been any other time of the year. We have communicated to the mayor the progress and status of our negotiations as well as who we are working with. Within the next several weeks, we should have our final partners put together and be able announce our final construction schedule,” he said.

Although it was a very difficult decision to take this course of action, Liberty Motorsports Park President Marcus McBain reflected, “It was a very rough decision to make. We believe with the contract provided by our equity partner we would have been able to start the project, but I was very concerned about the ability to complete the project with the structure proposed to us. This should have not been a significant situation as we had several back-up funding sources, but the falling of events at Christmas time left the project in a difficult situation to pick up with our secondary funding sources.”

For all intents and purposes, no business was conducted from the time the Development Agreement with the City of Cleveland was signed until the first week of January 2008.

McBain said, “frustration” is the only way to describe the situation.

“The entire management team worked through Christmas trying to complete the project, but you are just not going to get a deal of this nature done during such a time. We want to thank SCS General Contractors for working with us. Although we were not able to conclude a deal that both sides had envisioned, I believe we walked away from the negotiating table with an understanding of each party’s position. I can’t fault either side for not being able to finish the deal. We’ll move on now. I have communicated to the mayor the status of the project and whom we are working with. We are excited, as we believe the long-term health of the project will be significantly stronger with the parties we are engaging. We are on track for closing within 30 days,” said McBain.

He also hopes to remind everyone that LMP is still meeting its project requirements and a big portion of that included the completion of a $50,000 payment to the city to ensure that costs for city lawyers, studies, etc. were paid for by Liberty Motorsports Park, not the taxpayers.

“At this time, we know that with 100 percent certainty the project will start soon. We thank the City of Cleveland and Liberty County officials for their tremendous help and support of this project. They have provided us the required assistance to ensure we will meet all of the projects goals,” said McBain.

Updates will be posted on the Liberty Motorsports Park website (www.libertymotorsportspark.com) and the Cleveland Advocate.

Twice Bitten
01-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Mike, I want that $20 to be a new one :rotf:

SuperG
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
It was a day that many wondered would ever happen, but on Friday, June 27, construction on the site of the long-awaited Liberty Motorsports Park began. The first stand of trees was knocked down to make way for the 2.8 mile track.

In addition to a race track, the 819-acre master-planned facility will feature condominiums and an exclusive neighborhood of upscale villas and homes. Plans also call for an outdoor amphitheater for concerts and shows.

“The track should be finished within six to eight months,” said McBain, pointing out that the timeline does not include the amenities that will surround the track. Construction on those projects will take 12 months.

Prior to a ribbon cutting ceremony and groundbreaking on Friday, McBain explained to the group that attended the event that most of the construction of the track will not be visible from the roadway, at least not for now.

“What you will see are bulldozers clearing the land. Then other construction will begin. We are also going to focus on the SH 105 entrance through the Terry Baker property,” he said.

Already Liberty Motorsports Park has contracts for two nationally televised events for 2009, the first of which would be in the third quarter of the year — a Grand-Am series, and the second would be in the latter part of the third quarter — an AMA Superbike race.

The announcement that groundbreaking would take place Friday brought out city leaders, racing enthusiasts, and, of course, investors in the facility. ESPN radio show host Chuck Savage, whose family hails from Cleveland, also was in attendance. Savage is working with McBain to prepare for future radio broadcasts.

Savage and Charlie Tuft, account executive for ESPN, both recognize the potential for Liberty Motorsports Park beyond the national events it will host each year.

Tuft said there are five teams in the Houston area that participate in the Rolex Grand-Am series, suggesting that they will be interested in the races at Liberty Motorsports Park.

“This place is going to be an international draw,” said Tuft. “The executive driver training courses will bring out the corporations. We sports guys ‘get it.’”

With construction of the park moving forward, McBain felt confident enough to issue a prediction.

“The impact to the economy from Liberty Motorsports Park is going to be significant. Land prices have already gone up and property values in the area will rise 100 to 400 percent once the park is finished,” he said. Since the park straddles a county line, both Liberty and Montgomery counties are expected to benefit.

©Houston Community Newspapers Online 2008

Twice Bitten
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Mike, are you getting worried you will have to pay me that $20.00????? :rotf:

03 cobra toy
07-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Very Nice !! :thumbsup:

93Hatch
07-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I still have yet to race at MSRH. :(

Admiral
07-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, bust my britches, I just got back in town from vacation to find this? Looks like I'll be $20 poorer soon I hope!

Twice Bitten
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/email-signup-thanks.php :thumbsup:

Admiral
07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
ROFLMAO, the latest news on that website is from December 03, 2007 saying the crews are just about to break ground.....

I bet the newsletter is full of great stuff based on that. (yeah, i'm a grumpy/jaded/tired old fart).

Admiral
09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, there is some video from ABC13 of a grand opening ribbon cutting ceremony from August 15th:

http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/abc-video.php

Shows them knocking down one tree, I'm tempted to drive up there and see if there's any progress. Not sure if IKE affected the work or timeline...

Admiral
12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Now the website isn't working, not a good sign. :rolleyes:

Bartman01
12-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Now the website isn't working, not a good sign. :rolleyes:
Working for me. Perhaps it was down for maintenance.

Admiral
12-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Yeah, my bad - it's working for me now. Anyone have an update on this track or any work done on it?

Andy M
12-06-2008, 08:20 AM
ROAD TRIP!!! :bounce: :thumbsup:

Admiral
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM
I drove out there two months ago and tried to use the map shown on their website (shows the property next to SH 105), didn't see any sign or even the tree that was pushed down in the video. Here's the link to the map page:

http://www.libertymotorsportspark.com/images/Overheadmap.jpg

I did find a little short track nearby, looked like Saturday night dirt track oval type stuff - yeeehawwww!! :D The dirt track is in the map link above on the top left corner of the Liberty Motorsports Park property outline with the Montgomery/Liberty County line bisecting the dirt oval.