PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

BlownCobra
02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Recently I picked up a 98' Cobra....My fiance and I sold the 03' in favor of a house:thumbsup: Best move we've made yet. It's been a while since I was active on this board, but hopefully I will make the next Tuesday dinner so I can meet some of you folks.
The car has 3.73 Gears, a shifter, and Flows...
Anyway, this 98' is a whole different world. I want to mod it, but don't know where to start. I know I want to put boost to it, and lots of it, but need to know what accomodations need to be made to support it. I am planning on a piston/rod kit, and while the heads are off, sending them to TEA and letting them work their magic.
What injectors, MAF, Fuel Pumps, T/B, and anything else needs to be done?

All help is greatly appreciated.

John

Levi
02-17-2006, 08:47 PM
98's are sweet. :D Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. I do not have a blower setup right at hand. There are some here that do and will be more then happy to help. :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
02-18-2006, 02:21 AM

John

John...congrats on the SN95 man....we need more in this club. :thumbsup:

injectors...maybe 48lb. with the blower
fuel pumps...I've seen a lot of people using the SVT Focus fuel pumps
t/b...I don't think it matters either way if you use an aftermarket one or not

may want to upgrade the fuel lines as well and the clutch to a Spec II or III. Since you want a LOT of boost, you should address the rear end too...beef up those axles and get some upper/lower rear control arms to help ya stick to the ground.

bluethunder
02-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Recently I picked up a 98' Cobra....My fiance and I sold the 03' in favor of a house:thumbsup: Best move we've made yet. It's been a while since I was active on this board, but hopefully I will make the next Tuesday dinner so I can meet some of you folks.
The car has 3.73 Gears, a shifter, and Flows...
Anyway, this 98' is a whole different world. I want to mod it, but don't know where to start. I know I want to put boost to it, and lots of it, but need to know what accomodations need to be made to support it. I am planning on a piston/rod kit, and while the heads are off, sending them to TEA and letting them work their magic.

John

John depending on how Much boost you run, there are alot of things to consider. Daily driver, Race car or weekend warrior?
With that in mind, as Mike has said, Think of the rear end, 31 spline Mosers with a good Carrier, and a girdle for the cover. Most of this can be had for around $700.00. These parts have helped many cars keep the rear ends in one piece and still get low 1.5X 60 foot times.
As for injectors, For what you'd pay for 42's and 50's you can get a set of 60's and be done. They are big but, rule is you can always pressure down easier than trying to pressure up! Also get a good Mass Air, this is very important!
Throttle bodies, well Accufab makes the best on the market!
Fuel Pumps, Again as Mike said, the Focus pumps works great and support a good amount of power. Lines need to be upgraded if you plan to put 700 RWHP or more.
Also think about doing a Cobra crank or a good Forged Crank while doing the rods and heads.
Last but not Least, Get a Good tune!!!!!!!!!! Many good motors have had sunroofs put in them due to bad or no tuning .

BlownCobra
02-18-2006, 07:52 PM
John depending on how Much boost you run, there are alot of things to consider. Daily driver, Race car or weekend warrior?
With that in mind, as Mike has said, Think of the rear end, 31 spline Mosers with a good Carrier, and a girdle for the cover. Most of this can be had for around $700.00. These parts have helped many cars keep the rear ends in one piece and still get low 1.5X 60 foot times.
As for injectors, For what you'd pay for 42's and 50's you can get a set of 60's and be done. They are big but, rule is you can always pressure down easier than trying to pressure up! Also get a good Mass Air, this is very important!
Throttle bodies, well Accufab makes the best on the market!
Fuel Pumps, Again as Mike said, the Focus pumps works great and support a good amount of power. Lines need to be upgraded if you plan to put 700 RWHP or more.
Also think about doing a Cobra crank or a good Forged Crank while doing the rods and heads.
Last but not Least, Get a Good tune!!!!!!!!!! Many good motors have had sunroofs put in them due to bad or no tuning .Thanks for all the great input from everyone!!! I thought our cranks were forged from the factory? This is the only reason I wasn't gonna' invest in a new one. If I go with the forged cobra crank you mentioned, will that support 550-650 RWHP, as that is my goal. The car will be more of a weekend warrior than anything, I have an 03' F-250 as my daily. A good friend of mine and I are gonna do all the work on this car, from pulling the shortblock, to installing the blower/fuel components...Are there any specialty tools that we will need to get the jobs done?

Lastly, who would you reccomend for a tuner?? I had Houston Performance do my tune on the 03' and I was "satisfied" but thought with a little more time, the tune could have been perfect.

John

97CasperCobra
02-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Lastly, who would you reccomend for a tuner?? I had Houston Performance do my tune on the 03' and I was "satisfied" but thought with a little more time, the tune could have been perfect.

John

John, ask Bluethunder aka DynoJoe about a tune as he's had experience with SCT kits. As for the crank, I've been told it's pretty good as is. Another thing you may want to consider are some stage II cams. They're on my "dream list" as nothing sounds better than a cammed 4.6. :cool:

Let us know how it goes. I think this summer I may be upgrading the rods/pistons and do a port/polish job on the heads/intake if I can't find '01+ heads.

BlownCobra
02-19-2006, 11:06 AM
John, ask Bluethunder aka DynoJoe about a tune as he's had experience with SCT kits. As for the crank, I've been told it's pretty good as is. Another thing you may want to consider are some stage II cams. They're on my "dream list" as nothing sounds better than a cammed 4.6. :cool:

Let us know how it goes. I think this summer I may be upgrading the rods/pistons and do a port/polish job on the heads/intake if I can't find '01+ heads.
When you get ready to port the heads, give me a shout...One of the guys that does a lot of the head porting for TEA is a pretty good friend of mine:thumbsup:

John

bluethunder
02-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the great input from everyone!!! I thought our cranks were forged from the factory? This is the only reason I wasn't gonna' invest in a new one. If I go with the forged cobra crank you mentioned, will that support 550-650 RWHP, as that is my goal. The car will be more of a weekend warrior than anything, I have an 03' F-250 as my daily. A good friend of mine and I are gonna do all the work on this car, from pulling the shortblock, to installing the blower/fuel components...Are there any specialty tools that we will need to get the jobs done?

John

John, I truly don't know if the cranks were forged or not? I can do some lookign and find out. As for tuning, tuner are a funny bunch from what I've learned. I do some tuning but not as much anymore. I can help ya out with some tuning but do not do it full time anymore! as for the number you want to make (550-600) with a built motor, S/C with some good boost, and some tuning I think you can make those numbers.

jimmysidecarr
02-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Don't bother changing the crank.... ALL Cobra cranks are forged steel from 96 to 04...

Rods and pistons...
Being able to read the air going in accurately and then deliver adequate fuel...

Will drag racing be the favored "track" activity???

If so ditto on the 31 spline axles, rear cover/girdle assm., and freshened diff (clutches)with an axle gear change to 31 spline units.

Stock clutch will not be long for this world either...

Trans will not carry as much torque as the 03/04 six speeds either...

Lots of things to break... some you can wait till they do... others would be best to upgrade before hand........ IE: ---> Rods and pistons!!!
You don't want to "ventilate" a nice Teksid block and possibly hurt the crank or heads too.

Al C
02-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Quoted From 1998 Ford Cobra Sales Literature

The Block and Crankshaft

To provide the SVT Mustang Cobra with the kind of free-revving and powerful engine a driver's car must have, SVT employs a highly evolved performance derivative of the Ford 4.6-liter double overhead cam V8. This engine incorporates more than 100 specially designed components that enhance power and torque. To deliver this engine in a reasonably priced performance car, Ford drew on manufacturing and technical resources throughout the world.

Teksid, the Italian company responsible for casting the Cobra's engine block and heads, also casts aluminum components for Ferrari road and Formula One cars, as well as other Italian and European performance cars. The Cobra block, cast in Carmagnola, Italy, has a "deep skirt," which means that the bottom edge of the block extends well below the crankshaft's centerline. This design endows the engine's bottom end with great rigidity and provides a superior mating surface with the transmission. For long-term durability, iron cylinder liners are used.

The steel crankshaft is forged by Gerlach-Werke in Homburg/Saar, Germany. The counterweights, placed opposite every throw of the crankshaft, contribute to the engines' exceptionally smooth revving characteristics from idle to redline.

A windage tray mounted beneath the crankshaft strips excess oil away from the crankshaft and directs it to the deep oil sump. The Cobra flywheel, which mates to the crankshaft with eight bolts is made of nodular iron, an especially strong durable metal.

Pistons, Rods, and Bearings

Nodular iron main bearing caps attach to the block with not two or four, but six bolts, spreading retention and load over a greater area of the block. On each side of the bearing cap, two bolts reach upward into the block in conventional fashion, and one bolt runs horizontally into the side of the cap through the skirt of the block.

To handle the considerable torque generated by the Cobra engine, the sinter-forged alloy connecting rods feature big ends more robust than those found in any other Ford 4.6-liter passenger-care engine. Made from powdered metal that is compacted into the rough shape of a connecting rod and then "hot-struck" in a forge, these components are remarkably strong due to the millions of bonds created on the molecular level during the forging process.

After forging, the rod big ends are mechanically fracture-split to create the bearing cap. Due to the irregular, interlocking surfaces along the fracture line, the bearing cap and rod can be reassembled only one way, ensuring an exact fit and making the entire bearing cap assembly especially strong. All main and rod bearing inserts are made from aluminum.

Shallow-skirt alloy pistons give a compression ratio of 9.85:1. A friction-reducing coating on the piston's sliding surfaces allows the engine to gather revs more quickly and also reduces wear on the piston and bore surfaces. The Cobra engine features fully floating piston pins, which further reduce friction.

Double Overhead Cams

The SVT Cobra heads follow classic double overhead cam design principles. One random-link silent chain per cylinder bank rises from the front of the crankshaft to meet the exhaust camshaft. A secondary roller chain loops from the exhaust to the intake camshaft. All four cam chains have hydraulic tensioners to minimize slack and lash.

Specially designed hollow cams run in line-bored journals in the aluminum head castings and are secured from above with aluminum girdles. Cam lobes act upon roller-finger followers, which incorporate hydraulic valve-lash adjustment. Roller-finger followers press on the valve tips. Beehive valve springs control valve movement. Though the engine is redlined at 6,800 rpm, this robust head design could sustain higher engine speeds without valve float or damage to the head itself.

Architecture of the SVT Cobra engine allows free revving, and the ample power and torque a drivers' car must have. The Cobra 4.6-liter four-valve V8 is the most technically advanced powerplant ever in a Mustang, delivering the kind of smooth, high-revving V8 power that competitors in its price range cannot match.

Air Intake

The SVT Cobra engine begins the process of making horsepower with a specially designed conical air cleaner that sits just ahead of an 80mm air mass sensor. The air then moves further downstream to the twin 57mm bores of the throttle body. The butterfly valves in the bores open simultaneously, not in stages, giving the engine exceptional throttle response by quickly yet progressively delivering large volumes of air to the cast alloy plenum.

Eight tuned-length cast thin-wall runners (developed in partnership with an aerospace engineering company) are placed inside the plenum. One runner feeds each cylinder. A "Y" split placed in the manifold just above the valves directs air to the primary and secondary valves, but only one of the two intake valves is fed at all times. The sequential port fuel injection system features one 24 lb/hr injector per cylinder.

Placed above each secondary intake valve is a 34mm butterfly port throttle. Below 3,250 rpm, the port throttles are closed, thus blocking airflow to the secondary valves. With only one valve feeding each combustion chamber at low revs, airflow velocities are higher, and resulting "swirl" of the fuel-air mixture is faster, producing better cylinder filling and quicker, more complete burning. This results in improved low-end torque and exhaust emissions.

Between 3,250 and 7,000 rpm, the engine computer makes two key adjustments: the secondary port throttles are opened, allowing a nearly unrestricted flow of air through all 16 intake valves at mid and high rpm; and the injectors deliver more fuel to the cylinders. The port throttle system helps preserve ample low-end torque, while providing the high-end horsepower characteristic of a twin-cam four-valve design.

Engine Oil Cooler

Consistent oil temperatures in this high-performance engine are maintained by a water-to-oil cooler mounted directly to the left side of the block, with an oil filter placed on its end. Water returning from the radiator to the engine block first runs through the cooler, reducing oil temperatures significantly, allowing higher sustained revs, and extending potential engine life. The engine coolant system is designed to maintain normal coolant temperatures even under race track or autocross conditions.

Power, Torque, Performance

The SVT Cobra engine is free-revving from idle to its 6,800-rpm redline (fuel shut-off occurs at 7,000). It produces 305 horsepower at 5,800 rpm, and 300 lb/ft of torque at 4,800 rpm. The Cobra engine matches the traditional 1960s measure of horsepower: the Cobra V8 generates more than one horsepower per cubic inch. In the more contemporary (and more demanding) measure, the Cobra V8 develops 66.30 horsepower per liter.

In the end, an engine is intended to place a car in motion, not perform on a dynamometer. The 1998 SVT Cobra accelerates from a standstill to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds. The quarter-mile is covered in 13.99 seconds with a terminal speed of 101.6 mph. In closed-course testing, the SVT Cobra achieves a top speed of 152 mph.

bluethunder
02-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Don't bother changing the crank.... ALL Cobra cranks are forged steel from 96 to 04...

Rods and pistons...
Being able to read the air going in accurately and then deliver adequate fuel...

Will drag racing be the favored "track" activity???

If so ditto on the 31 spline axles, rear cover/girdle assm., and freshened diff (clutches)with an axle gear change to 31 spline units.

Stock clutch will not be long for this world either...

Trans will not carry as much torque as the 03/04 six speeds either...

Lots of things to break... some you can wait till they do... others would be best to upgrade before hand........ IE: ---> Rods and pistons!!!
You don't want to "ventilate" a nice Teksid block and possibly hurt the crank or heads too.

Actually Jimmy, A stock clutch can hold a good amount of power and abuse. I ran consistant Low 12's with 1.5X-1.65 60 foots all day long with a stock clutch and transmission. Those who run spec clutches and those that "grab" really hard tend to break things. If you can get a clutch to grab just enough but not really hard it is still effective for any type of racing. Once you upgrade to one of these clutches that GRab really hard, Then you are looking at breaking Transmissions and such!

jimmysidecarr
02-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Actually Jimmy, A stock clutch can hold a good amount of power and abuse. I ran consistant Low 12's with 1.5X-1.65 60 foots all day long with a stock clutch and transmission. Those who run spec clutches and those that "grab" really hard tend to break things. If you can get a clutch to grab just enough but not really hard it is still effective for any type of racing. Once you upgrade to one of these clutches that GRab really hard, Then you are looking at breaking Transmissions and such!

Well to quite honest that IS one of those items that I would "RUN TILL SHE'S DONE" ... that and the trans I would only upgrade after a failure...

Pistons and rods however... I would do going in... as they tend to make a big expensive mess of things when they fail...