PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 96-98 Strut Tower Brace Bolts

Stavesacre21
02-18-2006, 06:37 AM
Hey fellas...I know this may seem a little odd, but I'm looking for at least one bolt (if not 2) for a 96-98 Strut Tower Brace.

When I changed my plugs, it became apparent it hadn't been done before, cause the bolt was still on there sealed tight. Ends up that it snapped :mad: and there wasn't enough of the bolt left to screw it in again.

Went to Ford to buy another, and of course, that specific part is no longer availabe for order. Lookings as to how only Cobras came with a STB, all the junk yards i've visited haven't had any at all.

As for now, I'm running off just one bolt on the right, and considering how I'm gonna be runnin 411 AX in April, I figure I should get this together.

Anyone out there have any available? Anyone take off their STB and don't need the bolts?! PLEASE let me know, and name the price. Thanx a million guys...hope to get a few bites! :)

sssvtcobra
02-18-2006, 01:53 PM
You should be able to go to a hardware store like home depot, Jerrys, lowes, and find a bolt. Or if you have a fastener outlet in your area, they should have one for ya. If not they should be able to make you one, that is just as strong and as good as a stock one. My buddy put a lift on his 1-ton truck and broke a bolt in the process, we went to a local fasteners store and they had one the next day for us, exactly identical to the one he broke.

Just some ideas to think about.

Stavesacre21
02-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Yea, i didn't try really hard, but I did go around to a few hardware stores and didn't get many bites...and as for fastener stores...I don't think i've ever heard of one before!

If I don't get any bites here, I'll prolly do just as mentioned and hit some of the local stores a lil harder.

nckissfan
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
what about contacting a Mustang salvage yard? There is a big one in Georgia. I bet they have exactly what you need. I can't remember the name of the place, but they advertise in the MM&FF. I will look for the name.

**edit** here you go. MPS Auto Salvage. 800-236-1156 or try www.MPSAutoSalvage.com (http://www.MPSAutoSalvage.com)

1-QIK-SNK
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
I think I got mone at Ace Hardware when I wanted to replace mine with some stainless steal ones. I still may have my old ones if you want me to check.

Kerry M.

Stavesacre21
02-19-2006, 07:14 PM
thanx for the reply nckissfan, but I don't know as though i'm gonna buy a part this small from across the country at a salvage yard :eek: lol. With my luck, to be honest, I have a feeling that I would probably wait all that time, and they'd send me a bolt nowhere close! And that's kinda what makes is suck too...as i mentioned, only cobra's came with the STB, so the bolts are only present on cobras. Granted a mustang yard would likely have a few, but still, the pickins would be fairly slim. Thank you for the idea though...great last resort.

QIK SNK-

Did you strip your old ones or something? Or was it simply because you didn't prefur the black bolts? IF you do have them layin around, I'd be more than happy to take it(them) off your hands. Let me know if you dig them up somewhere. Not a biggie if you can't find um. Thanx!

Thanx all! :)

1-QIK-SNK
02-19-2006, 08:09 PM
thanx for the reply nckissfan, but I don't know as though i'm gonna buy a part this small from across the country at a salvage yard :eek: lol. With my luck, to be honest, I have a feeling that I would probably wait all that time, and they'd send me a bolt nowhere close! And that's kinda what makes is suck too...as i mentioned, only cobra's came with the STB, so the bolts are only present on cobras. Granted a mustang yard would likely have a few, but still, the pickins would be fairly slim. Thank you for the idea though...great last resort.

QIK SNK-

Did you strip your old ones or something? Or was it simply because you didn't prefur the black bolts? IF you do have them layin around, I'd be more than happy to take it(them) off your hands. Let me know if you dig them up somewhere. Not a biggie if you can't find um. Thanx!

Thanx all! :)

When I put my chrome STB on I didn't want the black ones on there. I wanted the s.s. ones so I could polish them up to look good. I will look for them for you and let ya know.

Kerry M.

Stavesacre21
02-19-2006, 09:09 PM
I figured when you said they were stainless steel that it was for chrome purposes. If you can't find them, that's cool...no biggie. At any rate, thanx for the time!

1-QIK-SNK
02-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I figured when you said they were stainless steel that it was for chrome purposes. If you can't find them, that's cool...no biggie. At any rate, thanx for the time!

Sent ya a pm.

nckissfan
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
:)

I contacted them via email. They claim they do have the bolt, still attached to the cars. $20 extraction fee, plus $8 shipping, didn't say how much the bolt would be, I am guessing included within the $20.

Stavesacre21
02-20-2006, 09:51 PM
$20 extraction fee, plus $8 shipping,
:eek: $20 to unscrew "EXTRACT" a bolt?! Can you say highway robbery?!

LoL...and what's with the $8 shipping?! Are they sending me the rest of the STB as well :rotf: maybe overnighting it...

Thanx a lot for e-mailing them for me nckissfan, but for a cost of almost a full take of gas, I'll prolly check the local hardware or follow up on QIK-SNK first to see if he has any left over.

Thank you for all your help though everyone :D

nckissfan
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM
oh, I thought the same thing about the price, and the shipping. Just thought I would pass on what I found out. I am sure they don't want to sell bolts, they want to sell big parts. So, highballing will just make one go look elsewhere.

Stavesacre21
02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Yea i understand that completely. Almost like wasting their time...even though I wouldn't mind unscrewing a bolt for $20 for about a 1/2 minute of labor.

I guess that if the part was irreplaceable and that small it would be more worth the money, which might be why they are like that. Kinda the "sod-off" attitude if you're not here for real money.

That's kinda sad...lol...at one of our junkers, they just have one person walk out with you, offers you the tool you need to get it off...and they sit back and watch. Guess that's one way to save an extraction fee. :rolleyes:

...oh yea, and bolts and screws are at NO EXTRA COST. :mad: