PDA

View Full Version : Got a new test Car yesterday!!!

bluethunder
02-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, We thought about it and said it was time for a new test car. I love the new 05-06 GT's and took our name off of the lists for the new Shelby, not going to pay $15-30K over sticker for one!!!
Kathy and I went down to Tommie Vaughn and talked with our people and everyone came to a great agreement on price so we drove this home and ordered parts to start the modding for the newest Ultra Stang Class car for Fun Ford Weekend.
Here it is:

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22122.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22124.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22133.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22136.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22138.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22137.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/510/2431/22141.jpg

93KingCobra
02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Looking good bro... :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
02-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Very nice! What kind of HP and Torque numbers are you shooting for and what kind of ET's and Trap Speeds???

bluethunder
02-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Very nice! What kind of HP and Torque numbers are you shooting for and what kind of ET's and Trap Speeds???

we are going to go for some high 11's or 12.000's with some bolt on's and tuning. Once we get there then we will have to figure out to do the S/c or Motor.

tazzracing1
02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Looks great I really like how the 05-06 drive.

Big Daddy
02-26-2006, 09:21 PM
we are going to go for some high 11's or 12.000's with some bolt on's and tuning. Once we get there then we will have to figure out to do the S/c or Motor.

Why not a turbo setup on one of these 3 valves?? BTW I haven't really paid attention to the new engine specs on these things, what, if any, parts of the motor are forged? Are they iron blocks? How much boost has someone thrown at one of these STOCK?

bluethunder
02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Why not a turbo setup on one of these 3 valves?? BTW I haven't really paid attention to the new engine specs on these things, what, if any, parts of the motor are forged? Are they iron blocks? How much boost has someone thrown at one of these STOCK?

Blocks are fine, Pistons could be better but the rods SUCK! they are powdered metal and fail around 425-450 RWHP. I've tuned several Twin Turbo 05-06 cars and they won't hold the power. There are a few oput there that are holding but not very long. Most are running 7-9 PSI. Even the S/C versions are popping at around the same RWHP number. The rods just need to be replaced. When the S/c is ready to be put on it will get a new Rotoating assy.

I do have a snow kit that we are going to try and see what kinda numbers it does.

jimmysidecarr
02-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Blocks are fine, Pistons could be better but the rods SUCK! they are powdered metal and fail around 425-450 RWHP. I've tuned several Twin Turbo 05-06 cars and they won't hold the power. There are a few oput there that are holding but not very long. Most are running 7-9 PSI. Even the S/C versions are popping at around the same RWHP number. The rods just need to be replaced. When the S/c is ready to be put on it will get a new Rotoating assy.

I do have a snow kit that we are going to try and see what kinda numbers it does.

NICE CAR!!!! I think you are going to love it!!!

Blocks are aluminum(WAP)... but still pretty strong(under 800)
Rods are a serious weak link(powdered metal)
Cranks are cast iron...but def not junk!!!
Piston are the typical fare.. hyperutectic... actually not a bad piston ..... up to a point. Unfortunately many cross that point and then....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/nuclear_explosion3.jpg

The heads are really nice!!! Lots of velocity and torque under the curve and they flow pretty big numbers right out of the box!!! Also they have a little better cooling on the exhaust side of the chamber to help with detonation suppression. A true tumble port design.... very similar on the intake side to TERMINATOR heads!!!

Joe.... I think you are going to love learning and developing this car!!! :thumbsup:
They are heavier than the Fox coupes you are used to... but they handle much better and the weight is in all the right places.... in other words the chassis is incredibly stiff!!!
Same 8.8 rear you are used to...
The modular bottom end is essentially the same as other customer cars you have worked on... cast crank in a modular can't be compared to a cast 5.0 crank though... the internaly balanced modular cast cranks are WAY stronger!!! You will have to make a lot of RWHP on a crank driven blower car to break one! With a turbo it will see even less stress as it all gets delivered to the flywheel with no twisting on the snout!!! In a high power automatic car I'll bet it would live well into the 10s. If you do upgrade to a forged steel Cobra crank... you will have to have the block clearanced for the counter weights.

ENJOY!!! :thumbsup:

bluethunder
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Jimmy, Right now we are going to order some "Test" Parts and see what kinda numbers we can make. The rear end is going to be upgraded to handle the launches I'm use to so even though it has 31 spline everything, It is still getting some Moser axles, a New carrier and some 4:30 Gears for track use. The car launches goo right now but when we start getting some more power down, I'll figure out which suspension works the best. Shocks are going to be Strange adjustable and coil overs in the front.

This car should be fun and we'll try to make it run like the 'ol Coupe did but with A/C and on pump gas.

93KingCobra
02-26-2006, 11:30 PM
So did you trade in the Mini...?

jimmysidecarr
02-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Jimmy, Right now we are going to order some "Test" Parts and see what kinda numbers we can make. The rear end is going to be upgraded to handle the launches I'm use to so even though it has 31 spline everything, It is still getting some Moser axles, a New carrier and some 4:30 Gears for track use. The car launches goo right now but when we start getting some more power down, I'll figure out which suspension works the best. Shocks are going to be Strange adjustable and coil overs in the front.

This car should be fun and we'll try to make it run like the 'ol Coupe did but with A/C and on pump gas.

Sounds like a good plan!!! Moslers Rock!!
I think this will be a great car.... that can be extremely fast... and yet very streetable and civilized at the same time!!!
Plus the potental for developing other friends and customers cars is FANTASTIC!!!

I'm really happy for ya!!! Jazzed as I like to say!

I still would love to get you out there in the twisties!!! You have a lot of potential Joe!!! You already have an above average understanding of vehicle dynamics and horsepower production... I think you are cheating yourself out of a fantastic and fulfilling outlet by not exploring open track!!!

You can do both you know...
There are many examples out there...
Danny Ongais!!! ............. on a much much lower level--> me.. :rolleyes:

I still love drag racing... I just suck at launching stick IRS cars with street tires!!!

I think by developing a multi-threat killer SN 97 You will have more fun!!!

:thumbsup:

SuperG
02-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Very Nice, Joe! And I guess you are not worried about that manufacturer warranty, huh!?! Can't wait to see the finished product!

bluethunder
02-27-2006, 09:30 AM
So did you trade in the Mini...?

No we kept the Mini and the truck. Car was a great deal.

bluethunder
02-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a good plan!!! Moslers Rock!!
I think this will be a great car.... that can be extremely fast... and yet very streetable and civilized at the same time!!!
Plus the potental for developing other friends and customers cars is FANTASTIC!!!

I still would love to get you out there in the twisties!!! You have a lot of potential Joe!!! You already have an above average understanding of vehicle dynamics and horsepower production... I think you are cheating yourself out of a fantastic and fulfilling outlet by not exploring open track!!!

You can do both you know...
There are many examples out there...
Danny Ongais!!! ............. on a much much lower level--> me.. :rolleyes:

I still love drag racing... I just suck at launching stick IRS cars with street tires!!!

I think by developing a multi-threat killer SN 97 You will have more fun!!!

we are going to try and leave it alone as far as drag race suff and take it to a Autocross before I go all out with it as a straight line car.

Levi
02-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Jimmy said it the best.

Nice car and Best of luck to you, Joey. :thumbsup:

bluethunder
02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys, it is a blast to drive and made me really miss the coupe at first but I think it will be a great replacement for the coupe.
Over at the dyno right now, so we'll see what she puts down stock!

cobrapace94
02-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Should be a fun little project. Good luck. :thumbsup: