PDA

View Full Version : Wheel fitment issue

QIK1320
02-27-2006, 06:14 PM
ok,
so I went to install my new 18X10.5 cobra knock off's and they're rubbing on the subframe bolt on the inside of the wheel well, I found that H&R makes hub centric 25mm wheel spacers...does anyone have these and do I require longer studs for this application???

puzzle13
02-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I had to run a 1/2" spacer on one side when running my 17X10.5 rims with 315's, but that was due to the back end being different on one side from the factory. Yes, you do need longer studs with a 1/2" spacer, but not with 3/8" or less. If you change your springs and lower the car along with either grinding that bolt or getting the bushing kit with the rounded bolt then you shouldn't have a problem.:bounce:

jjraiser
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
If you're rubbing the tire, it could be your tire size. A 275 or maybe a 285 may solve that. However, you probably checked that. H&R does make hub-centric spacers in 25mm. I have these on my car for 2000 Cobra R rims. No, you don't need to replace the studs. The studs are built-in to the spacer; lug nuts included. You bolt the spacer to the car, the wheel to the spacer. This'll likely bring your 10.5 rims right out the edge of the fender. I don't remember the actual cost, but about $150.

QIK1320
02-27-2006, 11:24 PM
won't the studs from the hub extend past the actual spacer though??

blk04cobra1
02-28-2006, 08:44 AM
First, shave off about half the IRS bolt and then see if she clears...most of the time people see on the lift and not loaded (rear suspension), so it doesnt clear, but once on the ground it does...if it still doesnt clear after the shave, get a 3/8 hubcentric and you should be fine

jjraiser
02-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Using the H&R 25mm spacers, don't shave anything first. Try the wheels on first. Not only do the OE studs not stick out much at all, my wheels have recesses in them allowing full stud clearance. Yours may too. Look between the stud holes on your rims and see if there's a hole or recess that would allow some clearance.

QIK1320
02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm Going Woth The Spacer Idea To Start...no Sense In Modifying When I Can Just Use Hardwre To Correct The Issue

blk04cobra1
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
that's cool, I hate using spacers, that's why i suggested shaving the bolt first :thumbsup:

QIK1320
02-28-2006, 03:28 PM
i like that staggered stance though...after putting on the slp longtubes, we can hardly lower this car so I have to do something to make it look remotely good, i must say something, this is the first american car I've ever had and you can see where the difference lies from german to american...they have no idea on how to utilize space!...this is a huge car, but they can't figure out where to put things

InfamousSVT
03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Save your self some hassle and get the spacers (http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/catalog/productDetails.php?productID=1168) These come with the extended wheel lugs to get the extra grip on the studs when using a spacer. Good luck.

Also Steeda has the urethane bushings for the IRS that come with a rounded off hex bolt that saves about 1/4" rather then having the stock large bolt there.
www.steeda.com (http://www.steeda.com) Steeda Cobra subframe bushing set.

Good luck :thumbsup:

NC03BlkSnake
03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Be REALLY careful with those spacers, I had them on my car for about a month. Let's just say I started hearing noises from the rear end and when I took my tires off the spacers almost fell off. Tighten them really good and then check them every other week to make sure they stay tight. I sold mine because they scared the crap out of me. Nothing like doing a high speed run and seeing your rear tire go flying by you.....

QIK1320
03-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Be REALLY careful with those spacers, I had them on my car for about a month. Let's just say I started hearing noises from the rear end and when I took my tires off the spacers almost fell off. Tighten them really good and then check them every other week to make sure they stay tight. I sold mine because they scared the crap out of me. Nothing like doing a high speed run and seeing your rear tire go flying by you.....
Realistiaclly they should be torqued on at the specified wheel torque specs., did you make sure your hubs were nice and clean??

MidLifeC
03-01-2006, 11:50 AM
MM now sells a low profile bolt to address this problem:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/subframebolt.asp

NC03BlkSnake
03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Realistiaclly they should be torqued on at the specified wheel torque specs., did you make sure your hubs were nice and clean??
They were nice and clean and torqued down correctly. I'll never again use those type of spacers. Not to mention it throws of the geometry of the car as well. The thickest spacer I'd run would be 3/8" hubcentrics.