PDA

View Full Version : CMP: Getting excited or.....

97whitevert
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
am i just waiting to get into the sorrentino killer and see him get :spanked: :spanked: :spank2: :spank2:

:tomcat: :tomcat: :007: :007: :firedevil :woot: :woot: :vampsmile :vampsmile :spimpin: :shockwave :shockwave :starwars: :starwars: :touche: :shockwave :starwars: :firebounc :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :banghead: :hail: :hail: :chairshot :chairshot :flush: :flush: :jason:

then he will be: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

97whitevert
03-05-2006, 12:33 PM
6-10 Day Forecast for
Kershaw

Friday, 3/10
Showers
High 78F
Low 58F

Precip. 30 %

Sat. 3/11
Isolated T-Storms
High 82F
Low 59F

Precip. 30 %

Sun. 3/12
Partly Cloudy
High 81F
Low 51F

Precip. 0 %

Hazman
03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh this is going to be good!!!! I am bringing plenty of tape for the video camera. Now if I can just grid up behind the SK with it right behind the grand poobah I should get some great footage of the point by :eek: if Mr. Wreckless will give one!!:rolleyes:

97whitevert
03-05-2006, 08:27 PM
hmmm taking bets on whether he gives the point by-- to anyone!!! :rotf: :rotf: ;) :rotf:

beerkat
03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
I have ready for this event for abour a month now, since VIP gor cancelled. I hope there is no rain.:bounce:

timz06
03-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Those temperatures are unbelieveable for early March! I am used to freezing my tail of at these events!

bolt-on
03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Just a few minor things to do yet: install wheels and tires; 5-point harness; and seats. Yikes! Then we need to pack everything and travel about 900 miles :eek: . It is snowing here right now so those temperature forecasts for CMP do not even seem real.

Big Daddy
03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I'll be down on Saturday to check out the festivities with Drew. I'm not running my car this year though. The past THREE times I have taken it out on CMP I've had to tow the car home with problems. I will NOT have that this year! Plus I'm saving up to try and make Gingerman this year. :thumbsup: I do have to come down on Saturday just to SEE Lisa pass Tony though! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

fasst94impala
03-06-2006, 03:35 PM
The Fleet Manager has already taken the BeaSST out of service so it can be prepared for CMP...install harness, throw the race pads in and load up the race tires in the trunk! The taxi cab will be ready!

Can't wait!

beerkat
03-06-2006, 05:06 PM
It is snowing here right now so those temperature forecasts for CMP do not even seem real.
I hate to tell you how warm it is a beach right now. I do not think that you will have to worry about snow. Some reports have it in the 70's this weekend.:bounce:

97whitevert
03-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Just a few minor things to do yet: install wheels and tires; 5-point harness; and seats. Yikes! Then we need to pack everything and travel about 900 miles :eek: . It is snowing here right now so those temperature forecasts for CMP do not even seem real.

Oh I am so glad you guys are coming down!!! :thumbsup: :bounce:

97whitevert
03-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I'll be down on Saturday to check out the festivities with Drew. I'm not running my car this year though. The past THREE times I have taken it out on CMP I've had to tow the car home with problems. I will NOT have that this year! Plus I'm saving up to try and make Gingerman this year. :thumbsup: I do have to come down on Saturday just to SEE Lisa pass Tony though! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
hmmmmm--- does T give point by's ???? I have GOT to get out in it!!! :eek: I haven't even been IN it since it was whole... nevermind DRIVEN it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: it'll take some getting used to.

He!!- it could blowup first time around- I don't know :dunno: :dunno:

just remember it is a stock 4-banger, on street tires. :headbang: :headbang:

fasst94impala
03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Warming trend continuing all week...latest forecast

3/11 - Partly Cloudy 80/56...20% precip
3/12 - Partly Cloudy 82/57...20% Precip

Bring the sun tan oil. It's going to be nice :D

bolt-on
03-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I hate to tell you how warm it is a beach right now. I do not think that you will have to worry about snow. Some reports have it in the 70's this weekend.:bounce:

With a little snow on the track I might be able to pass the high horsepower rides :D . Picked up my new Recaro seat from On-Track Performance Solutions today. It is assembled and in the middle of the living room floor right now. Hope it is as comfortable in the car as it was watching the end of the hockey game. See you soon.

2KWhiteSnake
03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Does anyone have any Cobalt spec VR pads for Brembo's? I thought I had an extra set, but Cobalt doesn't have any sitting on the shelf. I've got about 1-2 days left on my current set. I'll pay premium price for them :)

Craig

nckissfan
03-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Tina, and I will be down to watch the passing, too.:rotf: we will do our best to get pictures, too:bounce:

timz06
03-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Craig, just don't use your brakes so much!

Tim

2KWhiteSnake
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Sup Timmah!
I've got an extra set of Carbotechs XP11's (not my first choice) on the way just in case. See you this weekend!

Craig

timz06
03-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey dude,

I run the carbotech xp10s'...they are great pads...I just hate the rivets in them, they cut down on the pad life.

Trying to hook up with a roomate at the jameson, just called, they are sold out on sat! :(

2KWhiteSnake
03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey dude,

I run the carbotech xp10s'...they are great pads...I just hate the rivets in them, they cut down on the pad life.

Trying to hook up with a roomate at the jameson, just called, they are sold out on sat! :(

I tried the 2 different sets of the 10's, but didn't like them. I've been running Spec VR's for a while now. I'll give the 11's a shot and see. Call up the best western (might be DAYS INN) across the street from the Jameson. It's nice. It's the one on HWY 9 by pass, NOT Hwy 521. The place on 521 is NASTY. Just ask if they are across from the Jameson.

2KWhiteSnake
03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=41061#null

That's the hotel.

johnbasf
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
PM sent to Tim.... :thumbsup:

timz06
03-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks John, followed up with WG...

Looks like the BW is also full...wth is going on in Lancaster? Glee club convention?

2KWhiteSnake
03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks John, followed up with WG...

Looks like the BW is also full...wth is going on in Lancaster? Glee club convention?

How about the hotel in Kershaw? Beerkat will know the name of it.

Craig

2KWhiteSnake
03-07-2006, 10:20 PM
BTW...........Pearson.........I heard that Bobby Byrd bought a Ford Multimatic Mustang and it would be there this weekend? Les told me about it today. If so, I'd best start drooling..................... :D

Craig

johnbasf
03-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Boy Racer!!!! Nice.

timz06
03-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Got a roomate at Jameson. Like to hang out with the crowd. See you guys Fri

Big Daddy
03-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Got a roomate at Jameson. Like to hang out with the crowd. See you guys Fri

I just called the Jameson and got one for Friday night only. They said they don't have anymore for Saturday. IF anyone else is looking there are a couple of Hotels in Camden on HWY 521 which is the HWY that CMP is on. It's about 19 miles south of the track. However it is an option! :D

Stop&TurnFreak
03-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Man, I am siked to meet the rest of you guys down there. I am coming down, but the Evo :( is not. The tires didn't come in, and I don't feel like buying street tires, just to massacre them, plus, the wife would massacre me if I did. Oh well, guess I will have to spend my time in 'real' cars, (*RWD), what a sports car should be. As much as I love the Evo, I miss my old GT, with all of it's TORQUE. Although, you do what you have to, to ensure the wife stays happy, and she likes tracking/autocrossing the Evo, so I took the lesser road.

Oh well, I am sure I will get my fill of riding at CMP while instructing. :) Everyone be safe in your travels down, and I look forward to meeting you all.

PS, my wife is in a photography class, so if she asks you to pose with your cars, take a second and pose, she is doing it for school.....:)

cobrabitn
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
I heard today that Bobby Byrd has an FR500 Mustang and he is bringing it down this weekend. Someone called me and told me that! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
03-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Today
Mar 9

Partly Cloudy
75/56 20%
75F

Fri
Mar 10

Few Showers
74/54 30%
74F
Sat
Mar 11

Partly Cloudy
80/57 10%
80F
Sun
Mar 12

Mostly Sunny
82/57 20%
82F

Woo Hoo! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

2KWhiteSnake
03-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Looks like I'm out for the weekend. :( The car is down for the count. We think it's the MAC longtubes, but we're not sure. Burning loads of oil constantly since installing them. I'll keep you guys posted.

cobrabitn
03-09-2006, 10:52 AM
MAC longtubes are not a good brand to put on the 99-01 Cobras because they have some sort of a scavenging effect which causes oil to be consumed from the engine. Tom Crews, Jose Colon, and others have said that repeatedly on the tech list/BB. You'd be better off with either mid length or a larger diameter shorty header or switch to a different brand than MAC.

It's not too late, see if Lester can burn the midnight oil and put the shorty headers back on. It's a pain, but it's better then blowing a perfect weather weekend at CMP! Get R done!

2KWhiteSnake
03-09-2006, 10:57 AM
That's not the only problem. I think my hydraulic tensioner is dying also. The car is rattling pretty bad up front (chain). I'm dumping the oil today to see if that quiets it down a bit, but the header issue can't be resolved in a day. Lester has installed the MAC's on many Cobras and he has yet to see an issue, but I too had read bad things about them before purchasing, but Les said they would be fine. :( Les is totally stumped at this point.

justagt
03-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Craig,
If you don't make this weekend, NASA and the Carolina Regional Mustang Club have some weekends coming up soon. You can make those.

piperpilotduane
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Just rent a car! I've seen a Maxima, Mustang and even a Taurus from Enterprise at a HPDE before! Do not miss out on the fun!:thumbsup: :bounce: :rotf:

cobrabitn
03-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Duane has a good idea, rent a V6 Mustang for the weekend!

Les may be talking about other model years?? It is 99-01 specific and I think part of it was the weld on the inside of the header causing problems.

justagt
03-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey Ton-EE :D

What exactly is happening on this deal? Craig and I chatted a little bit, but is there welding slag getting pulled back into the intake on the car?

cobrabitn
03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Howdy Will, you coming down this weekend to give me some pointers on how to pass the SVO?

Yes, that is what I heard happened (Being pulled into the exhaust ports) and I think Tom Crews knows more about it then I do but it happened to JC's Cobra. It happens on initial start up and after that, it's all history. I do not have any personal experience about this but I believe that Tom and JC wouldn't make it up. I do have MAC headers on my 94 and it hasn't had a problem at all. I have a MAC O/R pipe and catback too. I love the power and the sound I got from it, but like I said, it is these two years specific!

2KWhiteSnake
03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Just rent a car! I've seen a Maxima, Mustang and even a Taurus from Enterprise at a HPDE before! Do not miss out on the fun!:thumbsup: :bounce: :rotf:

My daily driver is a 2001 Maxima. I can't see myself on track with it (considering my luck this week with the Cobra) :D

I was supposed to instruct for Turn one tomorrow, but I cancelled that too. I'm pissed about not being able to get so much track time this weekend at SCMC and Turn One (tomorrow), but I guess that's how it goes sometimes. The issue can either be slag from the headers, or the vaccum pressure that it can pull sometimes lets oil slip by the lackluster ford valve seals/valve guides. Les doesn't know what we're going to do, but the car genuinly doesn't sound good at all, but it's got a TON of power (which is strange). And I have a great James Bond smoke screen effect. We're going to probably have to pull the motor apart to check it out good. I'm waiting on my trailer (should be finished this coming week) to haul it back to Lesters. Les is stumped by the issue, and he's one of the most "seasoned" car techs I know. But like he says, he's been proven wrong before, which is part of it. I don't think it's extremely serious, but I'll keep you guys posted. I'll be down there for a bit either Saturday or Sunday. You guys be safe! :thumbsup:

Craig

johnbasf
03-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Hey Ton-EE :D

What exactly is happening on this deal? Craig and I chatted a little bit, but is there welding slag getting pulled back into the intake on the car?

Will, do a search over on the Corral. There is a lot of "theory" on the subject. I wish you were coming down this weekend. :thumbsup:

justagt
03-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Tony, keep it matted and tell her that club rules call for shifting at 3500 for all SVOs.

Can't make it down this year, JP. Don will be in town and we are all doing some karting to knock off the rust. Plus, busy with new house stuff. After 24 hr at Daytona and running the enduro a couple of weeks ago, I need a break from the track already and it is only March.

nckissfan
03-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Tina, and I had a great time seeing everyone. It was a nice time. The weather was great, and the laughs were even better. We have around 250 pictures, so if you want some of your car, and we have it, let me know.:thumbsup:

Blown96Snake
03-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Looks like ya'll had perfect weather at CMP Saturday and Sunday. I was recovering from my jet lag on Sunday. My wife and her family went out the Utah to ski last week. Once again, bad timing keeps me away from CMP. I will try my best to get there next year!

Dave Phillips

cobrabitn
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Click here if you missed buying a shirt at the event:

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170133#post170133

2KWhiteSnake
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Well, just got the first initial verdict from Lester. I have 70% leakage on cylinder #4. The noise the motor is making is not in the heads he says. He says it's down in the bottom (possible broken piston or rod, etc.) He's pulling the motor so I should know more in a few days. :thumbsup:

Craig

cobrabitn
04-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I hate to hear that Craig! I know that has to make you sick but it sounds like what the headers caused on JC's Cobra??

Meanwhile, I still have my AFR's sitting in the foyer waiting on that phone call! :(

2KWhiteSnake
04-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I hate to hear that Craig! I know that has to make you sick but it sounds like what the headers caused on JC's Cobra??

Meanwhile, I still have my AFR's sitting in the foyer waiting on that phone call! :(

We should know a cause of it in a few days when he tears everything down. He's not convinced it's the headers because of the severe loss of compression and noise from just 1 cylinder (all the others are fine). He is thinking parts failure, but I guess we'll see. MAC might be hearing from me soon. :) I'll keep you guys posted.

:cool:

Craig

2KWhiteSnake
04-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Well, the block is chewed up. The #4 cylinder is the worst, but there is a bit of damage on a few more. Lester found fine metal bits in the pan and around the rings which almost feels like sand. Needless to say, MAC will be hearing from me about their longtubes. They won't own up to it, but I think I should be heard.

The block is being shipped to Modular performance the end of the week to be bored and re-sleeved to a 5.0 "big bore" with 304 cubes. It will be honed and installed with Diamond pistons, manley rods, and ARP studs will be added before being line honed. In the interim, Lester will be doing a port/polish/valve job on the heads and installing FR500 cams and valve kit. I also sucked it up and decided to put the FR500 race intake on it (ouch at the price). It should put out anywhere from 425-475 rwhp depending on the tune. We'll be upgrading the fuel pump (focus pumps) and injectors. I guess I decided (with the help of John Pearson, who my wife reluctantly sends hugs and kisses) that it's cheaper to do it now, than down the road.

The block should be back within 15 days, so we should be rolling within a month. I'll keep you OT guys updated as to the progress with some pics. I hate I missed CMP, but I guess that's the way things go sometimes.

Thanks again for all the input!

Craig

cobrabitn
04-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Sounds like your car will be a beast! :) My 94 is there waiting on the heads to be swapped out along with a new cam. I'm shooting for 300 rwhp and 350 ft lbs of torque. :D

2KWhiteSnake
04-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Very nice! Les will hook you up. For a 302, that'll be strong. You can't beat the 302's for power/cost. This modular stuff is getting rediculous, but I guess that's the fun of it. :)

Craig

Big Daddy
04-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Very nice! Les will hook you up. For a 302, that'll be strong. You can't beat the 302's for power/cost. This modular stuff is getting rediculous, but I guess that's the fun of it. :)

Craig

I like your choice of FR500 Cams and valves but why not the heads?? I'm running them and they produce more torque than the stock heads so long as you don't port them to much. Your choice of a magnesium intake is somewhat scary (FR500) but it will produce some power! The engine sounds like it will be a bad mother!! To bad it had to die on you but I've been there and done that! ;) :D

2KWhiteSnake
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I like your choice of FR500 Cams and valves but why not the heads?? I'm running them and they produce more torque than the stock heads so long as you don't port them to much. Your choice of a magnesium intake is somewhat scary (FR500) but it will produce some power! The engine sounds like it will be a bad mother!! To bad it had to die on you but I've been there and done that! ;) :D

The FR500 heads do flow good, but they are #2 to the 03 Cobra heads from what I hear. Our 01 heads are #3. The difference between ported/polished on those 3 heads is no more than 10 HP. The big numbers are in the intake (from what I hear). I guess we'll see. :)

Craig