PDA

View Full Version : Wheels, should I go black or chrome on a Silver SVT?

ausie
03-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I am in debate, do I get the Black wheels with polished lip or stick with the Chrome on a Silver Cobra? I will still have the BBS wheels which are sort of chrome but they are not. They look good but want something different. The style of wheel I am thinking of is either the American Racing Rebel or the Motegi tounge 5 spoke wheel (both are the same and manufactured by American Racing Wheel company). They can be ordered in black or chrome.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/details.asp?wheelid=221&name=Rebel Black&style=399&desc=1-piece painted/machined alloy&section=P

blk04cobra1
03-08-2006, 08:34 AM
black with chrome lip looks killer...in fact, im thinking about powdercoating the centers on my CCW Classics...depending on the cost i might do it when we pull the motor :thumbsup: ...those rims are sweet, but I heard they weigh a ton.

dewone
03-08-2006, 09:30 AM
The weight is one thing I hadn't considered when I bought the Cobra R's. They came in at 51 lbs with tires on the front 9" and I went to the 10.5" rears which weighed in at 54 lbs. The originals were 47 lbs each all around. So now I have to find 22 lbs to shed off the car to be back to the same weight.
Hind sight is 20/20 but I do like the looks much better.

93KingCobra
03-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I really like the Motegi plus the have a really nice dark silver also....

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/BigPic.jsp

ausie
03-09-2006, 06:15 AM
When I was at the wheel dealer that sells just about anything outside of my budget (went there to check out the BFG KDW2's and compare them to the Toyo Proxes ) they were able to pull up the weights on the wheels which comes to 26lbs for the rear. That is about 4 lbs heavier than the BBS RK plasma rear I have. The BBS front (18x8.5) weighs in at 19 lbs without tire mounted. Not much of a huge difference but they are lighter to some degree. They weigh less than the 01 stock wheel I have snow tires mounted on which are heavy in comparison to the BBS wheels. The BBS well will become the track duty wheel. I have had them for a little over 4 years and they are showing some road scars that makes them unsuitable for car shows. Curbs are not friendly to wheels if you just tap them when parking.

What would be your opinion with black centered wheel on a silver cobra. If they were a mesh design it would definately be killer but the wheels I have in mind would cost over $900.00 per wheel. I do like the 5 spoke but would perfer to be different and get a deep dish look than to have the front wheel drive fitment which most wheels are these days. I am almost leaning towards chrome but the black would be different. If the car was black there would be no question needed.

ausie
03-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Oh well, Motegi and American racing are nice but once I saw the wheel at one of the local tire places I changed my mind. If it is not chrome don't get it. Actually the best looking wheel on my car would be the bronze but I know that would get old quick. My attention now has drifted to get some Ford styled wheels like the FR500 chrome in 18x9F and the 18x10 R. At least I can drive down to Mustang Tuning to check them out before I buy them since they are only 40 minutes away from where I work. I can even use the same size tire on both 275/35 or get the 295/35 for the rear which is probable what I will do. No question about the staggard fitment which is a must. They may weigh a bit more than the Motegi but for a daily driver that is fine.

ausie
04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
The price was right, decided to get the SVT 10th anniversary wheels with the stock sized 275/40-17 tires on all 4's (Firestone Firehawk wide oval, to say the least that I am impressed with the grip). They look great on a silver Cobra.
Yep I did use the link on the site for tire rack but the order went sour when my computer locked up during the finalization process. Had to resort to the phone instead of the computer to get the order processed.