PDA

View Full Version : Water/meth injection

Dave B.
03-09-2006, 12:32 AM
I was reading some posts on another board where some guys put those those Snow Performace water/methanol kits on their cars and were basicly using it to make the computer think the air was cooler, they had older cobras and were using Prochargers and putting the injector nossles before some sensor allowing the computer to see cooler air thus adding timing,
and gaining HP I guess just like a Nitrous dry shot but using the water/meth instead of Nitrous to cool down pressurized air,,,,,,,,,But wheres the air temp sensor on an 03-04 Cobra??

InfamousSVT
03-10-2006, 12:44 AM
What they are doing is putting it PRE-MAF. This causes the MAF to read differently and allows for the timing to be increased. The intake temps are read from another sensor other than the MAF.
For this kit to be installed and for you to get a bang for the buck hp gain over the price paid, you will have to get your tuner to up the timing. Some cars have gained up to 70rwhp on these kits on the 03/04 Cobras. BigDaddy runs this kit on his car while tracking the car.
Although this kit is said to be safer than using nitrous some disagree, and here are the reasons.
With a Nitrous tune your tuner will turn down the timing to adjust for when the nitrous hits. Well if you ever run out of Nitrous with your timing turned down like that you won't hurt the engine you'll just be running less horsepower and a little rich.
Now with the Methanol injection system your tuner has to increase the timing to get the full benefits of the kit. So say on a street tune you're running 17* timing and with the methanol you up it to 25* timing. Well that extra 8* of timing is only there for the use of the methanol. So if one of the methanol pumps fail or you run out of methanol without knowing it, more than likely you will hurt the motor running that much timing without race gas or the methanol.

Hope this explains it better, from another point of view. :thumbsup:

Dave B.
03-10-2006, 01:54 AM
See thats exactly why I told my mech I did not want to retune the way Snow says to do it in order to get all the power possible, its a disaster just waiting to happen,

but heres my thinking on this, i live in Florida where its hot mostly, and my A/C is most of the time so im just looking to get the car to think its cooler outside in order to get closer to that winter time HP.

Rather than tune to use it all the time, if I just install it, and either use a triggar button or hook it to boost on coming, just to gain "intercooler" type benefits,,, the guy at SNow was thinking maybe 20-25 H.P. untuned from just cooling,,,thats all im after

blk04cobra1
03-10-2006, 08:59 AM
We've had very little success with the meth injection...we have however found significant gains with our water system. I'll attach a pic below, but basically it's an external pump/tank that sits in your trunk and can be activated by a switch mounted somewhere in your driver area, only downside is it takes up some trunk space (we saw 27rwhp with ice/water mix on the dyno, intake temps never got above 95* and it was 99* outside :thumbsup: ) Of course, you could always use a smaller cell, we just chose this one in particular. Forgot to mention this runs to the factory intercooler under the blower.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/874087/tank(Small).jpg

InfamousSVT
03-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Rather than tune to use it all the time, if I just install it, and either use a triggar button or hook it to boost on coming, just to gain "intercooler" type benefits,,, the guy at SNow was thinking maybe 20-25 H.P. untuned from just cooling,,,thats all im after
Although you can do it without a tune, you will definately need to get it on a dyno after installing to check your a/f ratio. And yes they have a few different ways to hook it up. You can hook it up on a throttle switch or on a boost switch (so it activates on a certain boost level).
Good luck and with the cooler intake temps a 20rwhp gain isn't going to be that difficult to come by. Good luck.:thumbsup: