PDA

View Full Version : 2001 svt wheel in 17x10.5 size and 17x9

ausie
03-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Since there are too many options for wheels and the price range is just as broad so I decided to see what options are available for the 04. To narrow my search a bit (or to expand it somewhat) I decided to visit some sites listed in the adds of MM&FF magazine to see what is available. I went to cruizinconcepts and found some different wheels to look at. Under the 2003 category I found a remake of the 2001 SVT wheel but in different widths other than the factory 8 inch. That is more up my alley since I like the style of the wheel but the narrow size looks odd on the back. I basically want an inexpensive wheel that looks good for daily driving use and just keep the BBS wheels for car shows or drag racing (nice light weight wheel).

A question to those who have 17 x 10.5 inch wheels: Since most of the FORD styled wheels probably have the same or similar backspacing, did you have to add a wheel spacer to fit the wheel on the rear? I will probably have to call the company up to find out what the back space of the 2001 remake wheels are just to make certain they will fit without any other hardware.

ProudSVTowner
03-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey Ausie,
Could you post the link or PM the website where you found 2001 SVT wheels available in different widths. I'm in a similar boat, I'd like to keep my stock wheels for the front and get rid of the pizza cutters out back.

ausie
03-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Here is the link:

http://cruizinconceptswholesale.com/products.asp?cat=22

I would inquire about them before buying just in case they are not what they appear to be. They claim to be a 2003 . Also the 10.5 size may need some spacers but the 17x9's will not. I was considering these but would rather have something lightweight and probably all the same size. Perhaps a set of the 10th aniversary wheels in the 17x9 with the 275/40 on all 4's. If they came with a deep dish offset for the 10.5's I would definately consider it. The staggared appearance with the deep dish in the rear really sets off the agressive look (one of the reason's why I got the BBS back in 02). Also after running around with snow tires on my 17x8 2001 wheels I like the comfort level more so than the 18 inch BBS wheels I now have.

Driving on pizza cutters is not very much fun unless you like burning the crust off of the tires. In just having a 17x9 can net you a 275 or wider.

Strange that I want to go back to a factory wheel from an aftermarket wheel, may be due to not having the factory wheels to start with on the 04 since I was not willing to give up the BBS wheels when I traded in the 01.

puzzle13
03-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Ausie,

Go to www.afswheels.com (http://www.afswheels.com) and you will find 2003/2004 style wheels in 4 different types in 17x9, 17x10.5, 18x9, 18x10.5 and they even have red ones. They have the same backspacing as the originals and match very well if you want to just order some rears. Email them or call them for pricing as the actual price is less than the website states.:thumbsup:

puzzle13
03-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Ausie,

And as to your question concerning spacers with 10.5's in the back ... that will depend upon your car. I have seen many that don't need a spacer, some that need the irs bolt shaved or changed to a round head, and some like mine that needed a 1/2" spacer on one side only.

ausie
03-27-2006, 06:48 AM
I have been to the AFS wheel site before, and those red chrome wheels are killer but would not look so well on a silver Cobra unless there was some way to ballance out the color of the wheels. I do like the FR500 wheels in chrome and would choose the 18 inch but then I would have something similar to what I already have BBS Rk Plasma. The front's are 18x8.5 so the tire size in 245/40 or 255/40 are just right. I have decided that I would want to have a factory wheel for daily driving with 275/40 rubber on all 4's. I have decided to get the 10th anniversary wheel and be done with it. The cost is right too since I could by 2 wheels and one tire for the cost of just one BBS front wheel. Also, I hope not to have to replace 2 out of the 4 tires every year and end up scrapping the fronts because they wear on the corners when not rotated. I believe that the 04 has more camber than the 01 so having a means to swap the fronts for the rears would lengthen the time I have on the tires. Also, the BBS will see drag duty since they are considerably much lighter than most street wheels. I would just by a set to match the factory wheel, but I never had them in the first place. The BBS wheels came from my 01 Cobra and the 04 wheels went to the 01 at time of trade in. Ford would not take the 01 wheels with the snow tires mounted on them. One reason why I still have the 01 factory wheels, and the snow tires have come in handy when it gets icy in the winter (the streets may look clear but sometimes they are not). At least that is over now....