PDA

View Full Version : Went to the 1/8 yesterday(tranny problem?)

1-QIK-SNK
03-12-2006, 10:53 AM
It was about 65 or so and sunny, good weather. I could not get it below 8.8 at 79 So I went down the track it would grind every going into 2nd gear. You all think that the tranny is going to take a crap on me soon? I dont run the car very hard. That was the hardest I have ran the car since the last year I went to the strip. So the tranny is a P.O.S ? I do know if it dose take a crap on me I have already told my wife im not screwing around with another 5 speed. I will spend the extra $$ and get me a 6 speed and not have any troubles anymore.

I will get all the #'s later today and post them

Thanks Kerry M.

1-QIK-SNK
03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
#'s

Reaction - .332
60' - 2.04
330' - 5.80
1/8 - 8.86 @ 80.6 mph

ausie
03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
A slight adjustment on the clutch cable may be needed or it is the shifter causing the issue. I always had the same issue with the 01 and the T3650 5 speed trans. When you are hard on 1st gear, 2nd seemed like it did not want to engage. Probably one reason why I never took the 01 to the track since I always had issues with 1st to 2nd shift under hard acceleration. It could be due to loading of energy to the case of the transmission and since it moves with the engine it may make it tricky to find the sweet spot due to the transfer of torque (just my interpretation of it, but more than likely it is something else).
As for the T56, you can basically jam it into any gear with ease and the tricky one is 3rd to 4th on the quarter mile especially when you hit 2nd by accident at 110mph. There is a huge difference between the two especially once you have been accustomed to the 5 speed. What feels like 3rd and 4th positions on the 5 speed is where 1st and 2nd are on the 6 speed. An aftermarket shifter would be an improvement since you can adjust the lateral position as well as adjust for the reach. Going into 6th gear is like placing the 5 speed in reverse. It seems odd at first and does take a bit of getting used too.

1-QIK-SNK
03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
If I remember right I think I seen a article where you could adjust the clutch from under the dash. I think you hold the plastic think and lift the pedle. Ever herd of that?

I do have a steeda shifter.

sambo300
03-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah...it's the "self-adjusting" clutch quadrant. Just push forward a little and pull back and supposed to hear a "ratchet" noise,indicating it's adjusted. Got a '97 and never really heard it. What really helped my "troubles",so far,is the UPR firewall adjuster and aluminum quadrant that replaces the OEM. I used to grind a little going into 5th....about 3 out of every 75 times......now it's only done it once and that was probably my fault. Clutch seems to feel better when shifting....let's you have more free-travel,too. So far I like mine a lot....definitely a difference from stock. Check out UPR's web-site for more info. Had a mechanic install mine......said it was kind of a pain,but not real bad. Might take a little fine-tuning after installation. When mine was first installed...heard a knocking noise when engaging clutch....mechanic did a few turns on firewall adjuster and that did the trick. Good luck.

nckissfan
03-12-2006, 09:33 PM
what are you supposed to pull up on? the pedal itself? or is there something else. I think I need that done.

1-QIK-SNK
03-12-2006, 10:45 PM
what are you supposed to pull up on? the pedal itself? or is there something else. I think I need that done.

I remember seeing this in a tech section on a web site, but cant remember where. It has been about 3-4 year I bet.

nckissfan
03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
someone told me you could push the clutch in(while in neutral), and let your foot slip off the side, allowing it to spring back, and that adjusts it. I tried that, don't think it does anything.

Stavesacre21
03-13-2006, 01:10 AM
You should hear a sound when you pull the clutch up with your foot. If it doesn't click after a few tries, it must not be stretched enough yet to need adjusted.

As for your problem QIK-SNK...one word for you my friend.

syncronizers

Those lil CRAPS are the reason for prolly around 95% of all grinding in 1st to 2nd. the T-45 has some seriously cheap ones from the factory...which is wide known to anyone who knows the tranny.

If you can afford, the 6-speed...more power to you bro.

How do I know all this? I've been down that road. And as you can read, it was a very...very...very depressing, and misleading road.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8929&highlight=shift

P.S. - AAMCO sux

ausie
03-13-2006, 07:50 AM
If you have the stock quadrant, you can tell by looking under the dash and follow the cluch support (should be right above the gas pedal) for the white toothed plastic gear. To engage the tensioner just pull up on the clutch with your foot and then press down on the clutch. The only way with the 03/04's as was my case was to replace it with a fixed quadrant and fire wall adjuster. The adjustable quad worked fine on the 01.

If you are feeling lucky, you can reach the quadrant by hand and open the latch to reposition on the toothed gear (this is what I had to do with the 04 before I replaced it).