PDA

View Full Version : open track cooling problem

flynfink
03-13-2006, 03:38 PM
OK, some of you have heard this but, I'm looking for some expert advice..

94 Cobra, lottsa miles. Bone stock except for a mac catback and a K&N airfilter..

We've run this car for three years at CMP. it has the same issue.. after 3-4 hard laps, the temps keep climbing, until we back off for a lap or just come in.. During normal, everyday driving, there's never been a problem.

here's what we have done so far,

fluidyne 2 row aluminum radiator.
180 degree thermostat (new Stant)
dyno tune by Pro-Dyno (nice job btw,, 10 more ponys and a much better a/f ratio).

The tune was done Sat. at CMP and we hoped it would fix the problem, but in the afternoon sessions, it still got way hotter than we want..Over the L in NORMAL on the factory gauge..

Any ideas??

I plan on putting a real water temp gauge in soon, but won't get to test it for a month or so..

Cobra-R
03-13-2006, 06:38 PM
How do you know the engine is running hot? Is there a sign other then the guage that concerns you?

You cannot go by the stock guage, they are too inacurate (even compared between simular cars). Get a aftermarket guage in there and see what it runs.

No doubt our cars are going to run hotter on the track than on the streets. If you run over 210-215 degrees or so in 80 degree heat, then start looking for some alternatives, like adding a good engine oil cooler.(sounds like you have already covered the basics)

Brian

cobrabitn
03-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Jeff,

I forgot to mention I have water wetter in mine and my temps got no higher then "M" on the gauge this past weekend. Like your 94, mine went to the "L" and beyond the first year. I changed to a 160 degree thermostat, water wetter, and a Fluidyne radiator with 2.5 cores, like yours. Normal driving gives me an "N" reading, idling gives me "R" reading, and wide open tracking will hit the "M" in 80 degree weather. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out because having the gauge go beyond the "L" really made me nervous.

I do agree with Brian about an atcual temp gauge but you can just dip a themostat in the radiator and see what your actual temps are??

Not much help I know but maybe some water wetter will help some??

Cobra-R
03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
you can just dip a themostat in the radiator and see what your actual temps are??

I would highly recommend you don't open up a hot cooling system. Get the guage, it's cheap and easy. :thumbsup:

Brian

flynfink
03-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I would highly recommend you don't open up a hot cooling system. Get the guage, it's cheap and easy. :thumbsup:

Brian

LOL, yeah, opening a hot radiator under 15 psi has bad consequences..