PDA

View Full Version : Time for new tires

Bartman01
03-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Been reasonably happy with the KDWs, but they have been dropping lower and lower in the rating charts while getting more and more expensive.

Any thoughts on these: Kumho ECSTA MX (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+MX)?

Levi
03-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I do not know anything about them, but they sure look sweet. :cool:

Update:
Here's some pic's of some Kumho Tires this dude just purchased.
Thread Link (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11642&highlight=kumho)

03 cobra toy
03-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Maybe ask Edmond? I think he may have this tire on his car....

jimmysidecarr
03-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Check out the comparison of 275/40R17 tires within a similar price range...
This is a very neat tool that this web site offers(Tire Rack)...
You can plug in your selections and see how they stack up...
Apparently linking after selection is not possible due to some "cookie issue"... or I would.

I selected shop by size..
Then plugged in 275/40R/17..

then...
Extreme performance
Max performance
and
Ultra performance.................. all summer of course...

Then proceed to results...

At that point you scroll though the results and select the candidates you wish to compare...

Then click compare and look at the parameters that are important to you...

Take a look at tires under $150.00 and the performance in..... handling, dry traction, and wet traction
My Sumitomos HTRZIIs stacked up pretty well against some rather pricey competitors... but they are only a 220 tire... tires with a lower wear rating will stick better...or should I say $$$$$$TICK better???
Money talks!!!

Question...
Will these be dedicated track tires???

If so... I would consider some Nitto 555RIIs......... they freaking rock... from what I've heard...

kencobra
03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
All tire makers have their own tire ratings, so you can not compare the tire ratings from company to company. You can only compare the rating within a company. I hope this helps and makes sense. :)

Bartman01
03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
All tire makers have their own tire ratings, so you can not compare the tire ratings from company to company. You can only compare the rating within a company. I hope this helps and makes sense. :)

Except Tire Racks ratings and tests are not from the MFG, they are from tests and surveys. I put more weight in the actual testing data than the survey results, but they do seem to track fairly well.

The KDW for example are (and have been for me) good tires. They used to rate towards the top of the stack, but the old KDW have been surpassed by the newer tires. The 'new' KDW are still at the top of the heap in their class but are not available an any size I could use (245/45 17, 255/45 17, or 275/40 17).

Right now I am looking for new street tires that can preform track duty if needed (and will act as mixed weather/wet track tires when appropriate). I did go ahead and order those 17x9 Anniv. wheels (couldn't say no to the price) so I am looking for 275s.

Will look for some dry track tires when November approaches (or if I decide to do another event before then).

Bartman01
03-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Check out the comparison of 275/40R17 tires within a similar price range...

Jimmy, I've been basically doing what you are suggesting - only looking at price last. Those Sumitomo's look good esp when you consider:
Kuhmo's: 160 per tire (shipped)
Sumitomo's: 110 per tire (shipped)

Two questions for you:
How do you like them on the track?
How do they handle in heavy rain? Are they 'scary' when they hit built up water or do they feel predictable.

jimmysidecarr
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Jimmy, I've been basically doing what you are suggesting - only looking at price last. Those Sumitomo's look good esp when you consider:
Kuhmo's: 160 per tire (shipped)
Sumitomo's: 110 per tire (shipped)

Two questions for you:
How do you like them on the track?
How do they handle in heavy rain? Are they 'scary' when they hit built up water or do they feel predictable.

I loved them on track!!! They were so forgiving and predictable... I could slide the car... make adjustments mid-slide... and they never bit me...

At MSRH.... my maiden voyage with those tires... I was able to drive EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVELY... and yet still maintain confident control over the car...

They never greased over.... or had a big change in grip from hot to VERY HOT!

And not only did I never spin out or go off track... I never even dropped a wheel off(except when I meant to ;) )...

And they still have more than half the tread left... even though they should have been heat cycled better.

In the wet they were very good... although I'm probably not a good person to ask about wet grip... because I am used to driving with next to zero grip... so any wet grip feels GREAT to me!!!
They are rated pretty good for wet traction however... and for what it's worth coming from me... I thought the wet grip was superb!!! :thumbsup:

Firme
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Bart, did you weigh the FR 10th wheel vs stocks? I am curious as to the weight difference, thanks..

jimmysidecarr
03-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Bart, did you weigh the FR 10th wheel vs stocks? I am curious as to the weight difference, thanks..

They should be 23.8 pounds... (I think)...

Good night to see how the Sumitomos are in the rain...
Being wider... they still will want to "get up on top of the water"... But I thought they did pretty good :thumbsup:

Firme
03-28-2006, 06:58 PM
I prolly give the Sumitomos a try as I was disappointed with the Coopers at MSRH. They did great at TWS, but I greased them at MSRH staying on the E30 M3 on R compounds :D

Bartman01
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM

Nope, got them in at noon and took them straight to the shop to get tires mounted. Didn't have time to weigh them, but I do have one unmounted stock rim in my attic.