PDA

View Full Version : Was wondering if anyone has scuffed their stock pistons

Russell
03-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I have read a lot of posts on the svtperformance.com website, and from what i take from there,, there are lots of people having little problems like skuffing pistons due to heat expansion, or detonation,, to the heads, if you havent checked that board out, u should , so many people on there, also i was wondering ,, i' always hear people saying that their a/f goes lean on quite cool nights, since i'm from canada that happens a lot. I don't know if it depends on the tuner that tunes the car with pully and whatever supporting mods, i'm buying a cobra and just wanna be sure,, since there's basically nobody around here that has 1, so i have nothing to compare to, other than on here. Some say that the weakest part of the terminator engine is the pistons, since ford put them in tight fitting for a forged piston to reduce cold knock does it compromise once you get to the 500 rwhp mark or so, i want something that 's gonna be pretty reliable but not for a daily driver, i just don't wanna have massive engine problems after i spend the cash. Any help you could shed would be awsome,, alright ,, thanx
:thumbsup:

spincobra03
03-22-2006, 10:01 PM
russel I live in north of boston almost in NH and lol im always f n freezing here in winter, I have never had any problem with mine on cold mornings however mine stays garaged all week until the weekends but still on weekend mornings these cars run awsome. Let me tell you when you get one if you do your homework on the one your gonna purchasr you wont be disappointed. these cars are lots of fun AND dependable

RedfireSVT
03-24-2006, 01:57 AM
If there is a weak link it is the pistons or to be more specific the piston to wall clearance. That being said these engines are strong and reliable but once the modding begins and you up the boost that is when problems can arise. More boost and more power = more heat which is the real enemy. Personally I think anything above 600hp is living on borrowed time even with every cooling mod available. There are so many variables to consider that it is impossible to put a specific hp number on these motors capabilities. When I purchased my Cobra used I made certain the car was never pullied, a pullied car will usually be void of warranty and probably has seen some abuse. Unfortunately a stock pullied 03-04 Cobra is becoming harder to find but they are out there. When buying a Cobra the less mods the car has the better in my opinion, I enjoy doing the mods myself. They are great cars and I love mine.

ausie
03-24-2006, 07:23 AM
I have had mine since October of 04. I have ran it in winter (provided the streets are clean) and especially in the summer. Very much of the induction system is stock as is the entire drive train. Never had an issue with it what so ever. When it comes time to modify, I will probably go mild but still thinking of a more efficient means of gaining boost via a whipple or a pully and tune with a lower thermostat temperature. I am not exactly waiting for the basic warranty to run out but by the time I get to modding it will have expired. My car does see some track time in the summer and at times the streets become road course circuits (never to any extreme). In most cases I only want more power when at the track but do not need it on the street. Sounds like a bottle of NOS would cure that issue but that is not the way I want to go.

I think the biggest part of the issue is many just do not know when to stop modding until it is too late in the game to go backwards. Sure would like to have 600hp on demand but for now the 390 to 420 HP is enough for me for the time being.

blk04cobra1
03-24-2006, 08:21 AM
We're doing a rebuild right now where the customer totally fugged up #6 and #7 :thumbsup:

RedfireSVT
03-24-2006, 09:23 AM
It always seems to be those drivers side rear cylinders that fry(7 and 8). Might want to consider the LDC head cooling kit, cheap insurance although not sure if their is any data to prove it helps but alot of people including myself swear by it.