PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fuel Pump Recommendation

SuperG
03-23-2006, 09:26 AM
I want to replace the stock fuel pump and T-Rex with 1 high flow pump. It seems the most common replacement is the Walbro 255 lph, but I hear there are a few others, such as one from Ford called an Aviator that flows 277 lph.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Also, what is involved in installing the pump? I cannot find any instructions, yet, but will be ordering a shop manual soon (looking for that recommendation in another thread).

Thanks!

blk04cobra1
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I assume you mean an in-tank pump?

SuperG
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
I assume you mean an in-tank pump?
Good point...Yes!

SNAKEYE
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I want to replace the stock fuel pump and T-Rex with 1 high flow pump. It seems the most common replacement is the Walbro 255 lph, but I hear there are a few others, such as one from Ford called an Aviator that flows 277 lph.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Also, what is involved in installing the pump? I cannot find any instructions, yet, but will be ordering a shop manual soon (looking for that recommendation in another thread).

Thanks!
I already did exactly what you want to do. I put in a Walbro 255 lph in-tank replacing an in-tank Ford Racing 190 lph and the Vortech T-Rex (which is a 188 lph unit). Everything is much neater and simpler with just one pump and none of the extra wiring and hoses.

The Walbro actually is only the pump, no frame comes with it. You literally remove the stock pump from the stock frame and replace it with the Walbro.
You have to drop the fuel tank to do it. I see you are getting the service manual on CD. Instructions for tank removal and pump replacement are in there, right down to applying motor oil on the filler tube when you reinsert it into the tank seal. You will need to run the tank as close to empty as possible so as to minimize its weight for ease of removal.

SuperG
03-24-2006, 08:45 AM
I already did exactly what you want to do. I put in a Walbro 255 lph in-tank replacing an in-tank Ford Racing 190 lph and the Vortech T-Rex (which is a 188 lph unit). Everything is much neater and simpler with just one pump and none of the extra wiring and hoses.

The Walbro actually is only the pump, no frame comes with it. You literally remove the stock pump from the stock frame and replace it with the Walbro.
You have to drop the fuel tank to do it. I see you are getting the service manual on CD. Instructions for tank removal and pump replacement are in there, right down to applying motor oil on the filler tube when you reinsert it into the tank seal. You will need to run the tank as close to empty as possible so as to minimize its weight for ease of removal.
Thanks, Snakeye! I will order that Walbro from Summit (I assume). Can't wait to have full functionality of boost again!