PDA

View Full Version : can't get a full tank!

bobster
03-24-2006, 08:18 PM
can't get a full tank! i have a 1999 cobra with a mysterious(to me) fuel tank problem.all was well untill about a month ago when my tank would not accept a full tank of gas no matter what i tried.my tank takes 14.5 gallons but rejects taking any more gas after about 11 gallons. i've shaken the tank to make sure theres no air bubble ,tried filling it slow but no go. iknow its not the gas gauge because i know how many gallons it should take and see what its taking.also my mileage shows its only filling about 11gallons. ANY IDEAS ON WHATS GOING? any ideas on solving this problem would be really appreciated. THANKS ALOT!!!

cobrabitn
03-26-2006, 09:43 AM
As a last resort, you can drain the tank dry and fill it back up to see if what you say is correct. The tank should hold 15.4 gallons of gas. :scratch:

bobster
03-26-2006, 02:30 PM
:o Thanks COBRABITN ! Your right...my gas tank holds 58.7L (15.5) gallons according to my original "owners guide". Unfortunately that means my tank is taking even LESS gas than i thought before it shuts down. I'll try draining the tank like you suggest. Until then if you or anyone else has any other ideas please shoot them my way:) Thanks again Cobrabitn!

ausie
03-31-2006, 06:42 AM
There should be a 3 gallon reserve once the "check guage" light comes on. The guage is not an accurate device and it shows the position of the float. It may be possible that the tank is not completely empty when it indicates that it is. The only time I ever was able to put more than 10 to 11 gallons into the tank was after going that extra mile when the guage light came on. I see on the spec sheet it is actually 15.7 gallon capacity but who is counting. However, with both the 01 and 04 I have yet to see any number higher than 13 gallons when fueling up.